Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm 90% sure that most of votes will be "No", but I want to make sure...
So guys, do you read gear descriptions, or simply just jump to their stats?

(I wasn't sure wich section will match so I posted here)

Edit: I have in my database over 160 weapons sets and over 280 armor-type gear including
rings, necklaces, bracelets, boots etc and I need that survey to plan further work on my project :)

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do read them, so I can read if it boost def or other stats, as well, does
it increase teh stats even more if it has a set if combined to aim for.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends. If the game taught me that there's important information in the description, I read them. But if in the early game I've been taught that the description doesn't matter, maybe I will ignore it. Maybe occasionally read it just in case I missed, but probably won't.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I adore fun flavor text in games, especially for equipment. For skills, maybe not as much, as the description box needs to convey how the skill works. For equipment, where most variables are stat-based, I adore fun and informative descriptions.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
They're extra fun for comedic purposes as has been said, but also for lore building purposes. First thing I'm going to learn how to edit in the game's windows will be an extra window for item lore descriptions.

I can't help myself, even if the project keeps the default equipment descriptions whenever you hit new game, I'll be reading them. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The correct section is Game Dev General Discussion - I'll move it there.

Yes, I read the descriptions of equips and items.

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Y'know, I would totally add flavor text to my items and gear if it weren't for the fact that you only get 2 lines to type in a description. Pitifully small, especially since you also need the description space to tell your player what they do (unless if you take the boring route and make all of your gear generic stat gains). I don't think I've seen someone make a plugin that allows you to press Shift to display an extended description like how the Souls games do it.

But to answer your question, yes, I do, because I usually expect there to be an explanation of what the thing does.

Doobles

That guy...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would read them to be honest. Sometimes the items in your game can introduce some lore about what comes from where, how, and for what purpose in the world you are creating.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Y'know, I would totally add flavor text to my items and gear if it weren't for the fact that you only get 2 lines to type in a description.
I have 3 lines in my VX Ace projects, I would have thought it would be equally straightforward in MV.
By default it's two lines if you go with default help box size and text size. But it's pretty simple to resize the help description box to be big enough for 3 lines of text and/or adjust your text size (depending on the font you use of course). I simply moved by help description box to the middle of the screen and moved the list box and actor info box up; so while my help box is a bit shorter in width it still holds 3 lines of text at 24 pt text size. This allows for a bit more description text. Also, my screen size in 1280x720, so the screen size will matter in how much text you can show as well.

Crusha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think a lot of players just auto-equip things through like 'Optimize', but if you have fire-resist armor or something, obviously that should be mentioned in the text. I read text on items so I know what I have. Old-school games often had the player just look for if the item is an upgrade when buying it at the shop. I think you'll get mixed of what people like; sometimes it's smart to consider if 1 part of your project can be simplified, it opens up time to use for other parts of your project.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, I have all data what I needed, thank you for all responses and as for me...
EcVufLqUcAAdbn2.jpg

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ok, I have all data what I needed, thank you for all responses and as for me...
Shucks. With all those items, you've got your work cut out for you.

If I may ask, why do you have so many items? If it's Diablo-esque levels of variations, especially if the base item itself isn't as important, it's okay to keep it simple. Heck, even copy-and-paste descriptions from the base item, and make a simple mention of enchantments, etc?

This is, of course, based on assumption. I feel games where specific items matter more benefit the most from fun descriptions.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dear @RachelTheSeeker. I made that large amount of items because I want to add to battles more tactical elements. I noticed a lot of battles in RPG maker looks the same:

- Choose spell / item
- Choose target
- Deal damage or heal friend
- Enemy chooses spell
- Enemy chooses target
- Party is damaged
- Repeat first step

So I made enemies that are fragile to some weapon types and for other are resistant:
for instance:

Lv. 8 - Stone Golem (3000HP / 500MP) is very resistant to swords and knives, but takes increased damage from gauntlets.

Lv. 9 - Elder Lich (3250HP / 2750MP) is very resistant to magic, wands and canes, but takes more damage from swords and knives, also damage is increased by 20% if actor uses a bow or crossbow

Lv. 9 - Siege Golem (3500HP / 0MP) is completly immune to spells and magical weapons, takes lowered damage from swords, knives and bows, but takes increased damage from clubs or firearm weapons.
Each of my actors can wield any type of weapon, but wizzard will have lower efficiency with swords
and warriors with wand also will have "difficulties" fighting enemies :]

Also I have simple forge system made 100% with common event, where lower level elements of equipment can be upgraded to higher level

example:

for 5000 gold -> Black Robe + 10 Dragon scales = Dragon Robes
for 20000 gold -> Zodiac Wand + 2 Godess tears = Divine Wand (upgrading may fail)

Besides, I made my main protagonist a classical rpg wizard with personality of odd-jobman :)
(trying to cure schizophrenia ) :D

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I read them, and I make heavy use of them to convey information to players about items. Stats, elements, resistances, special effects, the works. Flavor text is fun to add, too.

I like to add a lot of complexity to my equipment so the Laser Rifle isn't just yet another stat stick with bigger numbers than the Assault Rifle. Rather, it deals a different type of damage as well. So, depending on a given foe's resistances, it might be worth switching back to the Assault Rifle, and since their damage types (among other things) are in their descriptions, the players can easily see what is what.

Edit: I like how those "90% no votes" are actually 0% out of 17 votes. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RPG Maker Games Critique with @StudioBlueGames, Episode 13 starts now! In Collector, megacorps rule the penthouses and gangs rule the streets. What adventures will we find! Watch now.

Finished my Sprite for Koro :D
Evil7 added!

I did a bit of a remake on one of the maps, also I made a particle for jumping into the portal, and one for traveling through the portal. I'll probably add more sparkles later to embellish it. :LZSwink:
Polished the animation and added details :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordVK