CraneSoft

Filthy Degenerate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can't really vote this one as to me it depends on the importance of the what's in the descriptions.

I read them when the description actually provides useful information like "Breaks upon death", "Increases in power when user is in low health", "Resists X elements by X%", or even simple stat numbers etc. I will definitely not care about a weapon's history or generic descriptions (unless it tries to be funny), so personally I leave them out (which is more suited when you have huge number of equips so you don't have to think about 500 descriptions that don't actually provide substance)

After all.. if I have a bikini as an armor, I don't really have to describe what it is right...?

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With RPG Maker's tiny default description system, I find myself unable to decide between flavor text, describing what the skill does, or a mix of the three. There's barely space for one of those options, let alone both.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With RPG Maker's tiny default description system, I find myself unable to decide between flavor text, describing what the skill does, or a mix of the three. There's barely space for one of those options, let alone both.
You could always make the space bigger

MariaVirgolini

Melon Lord
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Of course! Most of them are fun to read, and even if they don't have flavor text they can have useful information c:

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could always make the space bigger
I could, but that would require having to extensively messing around inside a custom HUD plugin, and I haven't gotten that far in development in the current iteration of my project.

tbh it'd be easier/"more creative" to just work with or around the limitations I've been given.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FirestormNeos You could use SRD super tools plugin to very easily resize windows in any menu in your game. It has a 6 min tutorial video that shows you how to use it. It's pretty simple, worth looking into.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could also just resize the width of the game window. By going widescreen, you get more description window space to work with in addition to making your project look more modern. win/win!

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a little off-topic, default layout of windows is terrible, as @HumanNinjaToo said, I used SRD Super Tool to edit layouts windows to have better look.

Now for main topic, I think this layout will be fair enought to make short but detailed item descriptionsScreenshot_1.png

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Always, by default, when playing a new RPG Maker game, just to get a feel of what I'm getting myself into. If default item desciptions are used, I know I'm playing a game where the developer clearly didn't care about doing database work. If descriptions are blank, I assume they planned on writing custom descriptions, but forgot to. Custom descriptions with combat effects are useful to know, before going into encounters. Custom descriptions that are flavour are fun to read, I always like to check on new items too.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, it's been two days, so I made some work on item descriptions, I think I put lot of work and here are the results, how about it?
This is going to be project-specific feedback, but there's a lot of noise here that idk what kind of gameplay-related info I would need. In this case, I would just skip the whole description. And I rarely care about the world building. Personally I would provide a summary like this (although this isn't an item, but skill).
Screenshot_55.jpg

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen How did you manage to get so sharp image? and what is that font you are using? Well I know it's not from full screen, but I played your games and all of them have nice, sharp image even in full screen

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would generally read the item descriptions, and I like to add flavour text to them. Whether they should include mechanical effects would depend on your user interface layout; if you have a separate section for the mechanical effects, then you could keep the description for flavour text exclusively.

I think a lot of players just auto-equip things through like 'Optimize', but if you have fire-resist armor or something, obviously that should be mentioned in the text. I read text on items so I know what I have.
I think the Optimize command doesn't even account for anything other than attack and defense, does it?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Solar_Flare I found looking through code in that section that "optimize" command is little buggy.
It in some specific ocurrences takes worst items instead those betters. It happens when item has to many traits, mutually excluding each other.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TheoAllen How did you manage to get so sharp image? and what is that font you are using? Well I know it's not from full screen, but I played your games and all of them have nice, sharp image even in full screen
I'm using the most commonly used font, Calibri. And if you wonder why it is sharp in that image, there is a certain feature in RGD that eliminates text anti-aliasing. But my previous games didn't even use it.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I read the weapon and armor description like ooooh, the level 10 already it is time to care about the game. I live very dangerously in the game lol.
I just any collector players here like to collect and use them later. :kaohi: I am not kidding I did that.

MariaVirgolini

Melon Lord
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As we're talking about descriptions... Does anyone know a plugin that could make them bigger?

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Solar_Flare I found looking through code in that section that "optimize" command is little buggy.
It in some specific ocurrences takes worst items instead those betters. It happens when item has to many traits, mutually excluding each other.
I'm sure it instantly breaks down on any custom traits added by plugins, too.

Maliki79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
In my game, the basic item description has basic info of the equips function. Outside of that, I have an item book that provides flavor text and hidden info if the player wants to see it.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@MariaVirgolini General Discussion isn't for support questions, so please make a thread in Plugin Requests with your query.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

@wrigty12 hi! thanks for showing interest in my work. Sadly the tablet I'm using broke, so I wasn't able to create anything for weeks. Got a new one with display, I'm still not used to it though, so I'm still practicing, doing basic drawings again. Also I'm in my last year of college. Thesis, projects and other activities takes most of my time ;_;.
I'll get back to it whenever I get a free time.
Any artists here planning on participating in the Inktober art prompts this October?
It's right around the corner.
It's rpg maker related so I'll post it here, I worked on a little free rpg maker zine and this was my piece. Play Grimm's Hollow if you haven't already, I liked it a lot. (i don't remember if posting a link to a product even if free is allowed via profile posts, so if anyone knows lemme know)

Suddenly arrived to work and got the pink slip on a contract O_O wait, did i forget something??? (sobbing in corner rn)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mordei