nathanlink169

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girl, children of all ages.

The default weapons and armo(u)r set in every new project of RPG Maker VX Ace don't have much variety. I'm looking for some new, cool, interesting ideas for the two which could be used (preferably without a script). Anybody got anything they wanna share?

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's like a bajillion ways to go about weapons/armors in varying ways and functions to seem "unique" or have a memorable good system, or made to accompany a game's skill/stat systems. I would suggest viewing hundreds of different games to see how they work, and then doing what suits your game best.

Some equips may give skills, some may have specific stats. some may fully be damage-reduction (PDR/MDR), some may have scripted effects, etc. Maybe combinations.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlissAuthority

Dang, it feels good to be a Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In general, what I do is think about "How can I give characters within the same class some variety?"

I cut down the number of classes and assign them multiple weapons.  Then, I have each weapon support a different build based on a single stat.

For example, I delete the Sage and the Witch and roll them into the Wizard.  I ensure that a Wizard has spells that do damage based on Magic Attack, but also has debuffs that do damage based on Magic Defense and status inflicters that do damage based on Luck.

Then, I give the Wizard a choice of wielding Staves, Wands, or Athame (re-skinned Katana), and two kinds of "shields," Orbs and Tomes.  Staves increase Magic Defense and Magic Attack, wands greatly increase Magic Attack, and Athame increase Attack and Luck.  Meanwhile, orbs increase Luck and Tomes increase Magic Defense.

This new class will always do a lot of elemental magical damage - everything a Wizard can equip will improve Magic Attack somewhat.  But this way, you make the choice of equipment meaningful.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Zaj
Hi quick question. Is it possible for me to make a custom VXAce script without learning some bulkiness of Ruby?
Never Forget you've Got a friend, Even you feel your alone, Jesus Christ is there to Love and Be with you when your alone
6000 Plugins for RPG Maker MV, Pixel RPG Icons, & Reboot Pixel Font | RPG Maker News #38

Why not smash a guitar on your foes? Ability to play said guitar not included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rauro