Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While I was working on one of my projects, I got Common-Event (combined with skills) worked properly and was going to put those up-to-ten Common-Event skills in each weapon (think of it as pre-installed materias on FF7 weapons)...... Started to notice that the weapons' trait don't actually have the option for Common Event to call!

How do I make weapons able to call Common Events?

It would be spoilers to tell you what I am working for the future... but I think it may be wise to show you what I did with Common Events for.
I had to use this because I had watched somebody's work on YouTube. I have been amazed how did he do that thing as well as part of my favorite hobbies... The cardgame-style attacks! =D What he made was to shuffle the cards around and draw one of it to call a skill that may harm enemies or aid allies... Think of it as Final Fantasy's Summons if you will. I have looked how did he coded and filled it in with some little changes (getting more better for realitic-shuffle RNG)...

And I have success it (others than the animation-speed issue but it's only rough-draft, so it will be taken care in future unless i grow impatience to watch its animation be so slow during countless test runs, haha)... Because of this, I have imagined myself to able do this on all other cards to form a DECK... A deck (weapon) with ten fixed cards included to be equipped on the heroes to call the different cards that would reflect their battle roles... Let's say... You could equip those three heroes those decks - Attacker, Defender, and Healer decks where Attacker hero will do offensive more, Defender hero will do defensive more and Healer hero will heal (and buffing) allies up... and you change Defender hero's deck to another Attacker deck and Healer hero's deck to Debuff deck, Defender-hero will then do offensive more while Healer-hero will do Debuff-offensive but leave the party's defensive and HP out to take care. You see where I go, yeah?

If you make this far, congrats! Just bit more to read. =P
Sure, it may sound like I would need Yanfly's "Equip Battle Skills" plugin or something like that but it only works to the skills directly. Let me check and see if skills can call Common Events........... Well, they do. But ultimately, "Draw" (and "Choose" when unlocked) Skill are the only skills players will able to select (for now! I am sure i as player will even get bored by spam Draw-skill for the whole game) which will call the Common Event "Draw" (and "Choose a Card")... Which those Common Events will start check the cards to pull and declare the skill to do harm enemies / aid allies where it will do "Force Action" command back to other skills.
Draw-skill > Common Event (for card-animation from Draw skill's Trait) > randomly-pick card-skill through percentage-chances > (picked-skill) Card-Image Animation Common Event to join with previous Common Event (yes, it was done during that all together) to reveal its image for players to see which card did player won to draw > Act that picked Skill to harm or heal

So... yeah, I would like to use weapons as "Decks" where players will able to think the strategy carefully for which deck to equip on each hero before engage the next boss battle (and random-encounters too).

Do anybody know the solution to allow me able to call Common-Event through weapons' Traits?

Last edited:

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the reply... but I did asked for the "weapon" to call Common Event, not the Skill. =(
I just checked to do what you suggested me to do but there is no "Script" option in Weapon's trait. Sorry, Muffel.

But hey, thanks for the link to get me look more into it. =D

P.S.: I am not that good at Javascript. =(

Muffel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I understood half of what you explained... and it felt like 90% had nothing to do with why/where/how you need the Common Event script call, so I just pointed out what the actual script call is.
Maybe if you could explain it shorter/better... ^^;

btw as far as I know, you just put that text/script call into the notetags (of skills/items) and it should do the trick.

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only skills and items have the ability to call a common event.

You could attach a common event to the Attack skill, as that's the default one that's used, with your weapon, when you do a basic attack. Then your common event would have to check what weapon was equipped and take the appropriate action (that's going to be a bit tricky in itself, but it's the only way I can think of without modifying scripts).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Weapons (or any equipment) do nothing, they only add numbers to the actor when equipped.

The only way this could work is if you add a skill to a weapon and have that skill (when used) call the common event.
There is no way a weapon can call a common event directly, because a weapon does not do any action.
If you want that common event executed on attack, you need to attach it to the attack skill.
And if you want different weapons to have different attack skills, then there are Plugins for that.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I have already thought about that, Shaz...
But won't that affect to the enemies? Or they can STILL use "Attack" if I copy&paste that real Attack skill to another skill-ID and modify their attack moves?

Also, if it's in that case, then I need to make sure to get it check over each hero's deck-weapon for the correct "cards set" to call... (Like, fire-deck, water-deck, thunder-deck, etc)
But I think I could probably able to do this... *checking* maybe not... Sure, there is a conditional branch to check hero's equipment... but it means i have to do this few times for EACH hero to check... Is there a script to check WHOLE party while check turn-hero's equipment in one-checkpoint? Like this?
> Draw (common-event) - Game-run checks THAT current-turn-hero's equipment then run that matched deck's card-set to pull the random card
Not this one > Draw (common event) - Game-run checks named-hero's THEN second named-hero's THEN third before start run the matched deck-card-set.
^ Pretty sure it will always check the last check-on hero's deck no matter which first hero's fire deck will be turned into thunder-deck by accident.

Hello Andar.
By "execute" an attack, I am pretty sure it should come from the skill itself with the test version of damage formula: b.mhp * 0.05... not the common event directly. Just "Force action" is all it do to call for execute the attack.
It goes like this... Please note that it's in test and rough-draft version > Pick RNG number THEN animate the shuffle-card thing with Pictures image-files THEN check the number in multiple cards' target-range (if it pick 53, it will check between 40 to 60 one through conditional branch) which will load that card's image file up behind card-cover THEN flip it over to reveal for player to see what card did they pulled for that hero to act THEN do "Force Action" for card's unique skill in exchange for "Attack" / "Magic" / "Skill" commands THEN... that's the whole action turn for that hero.
And that's also true... I should have done that one about "add skill"... but not so sure if it would work to overwrite the "Attack" command like Shaz supposed (which I would take that anyway by removing Attack out of heroes' pocket)... But thanks for your suggestion.

And yeah, I know weapons don't do take action as you said so... but not if it affect the cards in deck to change. xP But still I see your point though.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I understood half of what you explained... and it felt like 90% had nothing to do with why/where/how you need the Common Event script call, so I just pointed out what the actual script call is.
Maybe if you could explain it shorter/better... ^^;

btw as far as I know, you just put that text/script call into the notetags (of skills/items) and it should do the trick.
Sorry for not see your new post there! Didn't notice it until now.
Well, I did explained non-why/where/how parts. =P
Anyway, really? script-call do work in notes? Without using plugin's notetag-command thing (<tesnotu>)??? That i didn't know. =O

Muffel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well... those plugin notetag command things are meant to "call" the plugin commands/parameters/whatever. Common Events are no Plugins, which is why you don't need those <bla> things... <- I honestly didn't even notice that... everything makes sense now.
So what I understood now:
Actors turn
Uses skill "Draw"
Skill calls common event "Draw"
Common event "Draw" calls another common event "check cards"?
... after that I'm lost, because I can't find where you want to use/switch weapons and why. A weapon is a deck?

If you want different attacks/skills with your weapon equipped, YEP weapon unleash might help with its replace attack param and/or YEP Skill Rewards (needs other plugins) with its Hit Reward and other parameters.

I hope it's helpful.
hf gl

Edit: btw doubleposts aren't welcome here... you're lucky no mod found out and schooled you. ;p

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
notes are useless without a plugin that reads them.

There are variables set in scripts that you can check in your common event to see if the attacker is an enemy or a party member, and which party member they are and what weapon they have equipped.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Muffel, I would want to delete my double-post but i don't see any like this, so... oops. Just an accident, honestly.
And to respond your guess about the step-by-step, yes, that's correct. You are catching up. Haha.
And for a weapon, yes it would be a "deck" that holds ten cards included. I did mentioned the elemental deck, so... would you prefer to call common event to check the WATER card in FIRE deck-weapon? =P This is why I post to see if anybody have an answer about the weapon to call the CORRECT card-set, not mixed up.
And I already tried that Unleash one, it takes MORE time for animate the attack (it does even include "Attack" action while my way didn't include it... except that players have to do three confirm times for each hero for each turn... :( )

Shaz, oh really? Can I have a quick writing of code for checking whole party's turn-hero equipment? =D
I am really bad at javascript, believe or not.

Speaking of "Attack", hey Shaz, I have tried your suggestion to change the regular "Attack" command to "Draw" instead... but no matter I tried, it only disable "Attack" command during in-battle test run and didn't turn into enabled "Draw" for some reasons... Is there something I overlooked to fix this not-changed Attack command?

Muffel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A Deck (which is a weapon) holds 10 cards (which is...? Weapon Slots? )

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Deck, yes
10 cards, yes
Weapon slots, no no.

Card = Common Event (which is also a Skill to include... the unusual animation fuse with skill action to damage / heal, so yeah)

Sorry to confuse you due to my ESL language. =(

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump but a special bump than just a common and annoying "bump" post!

I have thought and hope to share you guys few images and a short video.
Hope it helps you little better to think a way to get a good script to check each hero's SPECIFIC deck-weapon to begin check the "Draw's" RNG number to call a "winner" card in order to activate.

Video for a preview of "Card Gameplay" battle. =)

Attachments

Muffel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK now I understand.

What I think will work is what Andar already said:

Equipping a weapon let's you learn a skill
That new skill is a different "Draw Card" skill
For every Weapon/different skill you make a different "Test Drawing" common event

I don't see why that shouldn't work.
Happy easter

btw: it looks cool ;)

Last edited:

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, to be honest, I thought about that too and that may work for sure... but hope it don't make any mess up though when equipping the different "Add Skill" around... But I didn't try that one just yet, so i am going to do that now. Thanks, Muffel.

And happy Easter, :)

Thanks!

P.S.: Are you saying that it means numbers of deck-weapons = numbers of "Draw" common-event? Let's say i made ten decks, i also have to make ten common-event "Draw", right? If so, that's fine with me. =) Better than nothing.

Muffel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, that's what I think should work... 10 weapons, 10 skills, 10 common events.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh joy. How fun. xD
But yeah that could work, for sure.
I will let you know the results when I finish make three decks for each hero to test-battle.

Jachan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sign Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for another bump but this time, it's a "solution" bump. =P

It seems that it actually work! =D
Just a really-quick question before I report this a solution to close the thread - Through "Add Skill" from the weapon, it is only temporary usable until remove the weapon which will also remove that skill off automatically, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Transferring over the character creation to MMO MV is going okie-ish, but slow~ Mainly image assets reformatting/reworking I have to do to work in this engine is a pain. XD At least the MMO battles works pretty well so far! Woop woop! :kaoluv:
At this point I'm sorta convinced that the joke "they mix something in the cafeteria food" may be true. Like, every single person seems to be dozing off in class right after lunch...
Saying overused tropes are bad is like saying I - IV - V - I chord progression is bad.
I swear, the last 3 weeks I haven't felt like helping people at all. No idea why, even if I know the exact solution they need. Might need to harness my inner @Shaz or something. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
Look, I get that it's illegal, but...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elad