Weapons & Gadgets

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by UNphiltered_khaos, Nov 17, 2016.

1. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey everybody! I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with some weapons and gadgets but I am running out of ideas. I have a stealth cloak, jet pack, rocket launcher, flame thrower, grappling hook, black hole gun, and a shield.

Any ideas for gadgets or weapons? For an action battle RPG, not a turn based one

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2016
  2. Broken_squirrel

Broken_squirrel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sounds like a more modern-setting game. How about grenades, steel-toe boots, rope, mines, gas mask, gas, caltrops, lasers, dynamite, crowbar, supporting characters favorite toy, exploding ammo, flaming ammo, armor piercing ammo, bolt launcher, etc.?

UNphiltered_khaos likes this.
  3. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ooh, yeah! All nice ideas! I forgot I was had gas & SCUBA masks already, too... :p

4. CallMeKerrigan

CallMeKerrigan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  5. Basileus

Basileus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For sheer mechanics, I highly recommend the Legend of Zelda series. Not every item has to be a weapon, you can make some that just have neat utility for solving puzzles if you want.

A simple projectile to trigger switches from a distance can get a lot of mileage. The Hookshot can be useful for moving the player, but the Switch Hook can open up some fun possibilities since it also lets the player move objects. Canes that make blocks to be pushed or the Ice Rod that can freeze water is fun too. When in doubt there is always the Mirror Shield for reflecting beam puzzles.

The game I'm working on currently uses projectiles which can be bounced off mirrors to hit from unusual angles and a fully functional Portal Gun that opens up two-way portals that both the player and objects like blocks can move through freely.

6. Harosata

Harosata Dramatic Lightning's BFF Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I was planning to implement this in a turn-based battle, but you can do ray guns: Like Shrink Ray, Hypno Ray, Freeze Ray.  Essentially, ray guns that don't do much damage but applies fancy status effects.  Oh, animal ray!

Also, you guys forgot a hack-tool.  Great for opening doors and for commandeering certain enemies.  Oh, and steak.  Good for dogs everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2016
  7. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes! Those are great! I am looking for ideas that involve fancy effects for gadgets and damage in creative ways on the weapons. Animal ray? Like, turn them into an animal?

I like that idea. And a hack tool to commandeer a robot. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016