Weapons in a survival horror game

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Bumblefish97, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Bumblefish97

Bumblefish97 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Can't decide what kind of damage to make weapons deal and what kind of durability each should have in a survival horror game. If they break too easily it could be an issue, but if they don't then the player could become too overpowered for that sort of game. If the damage levels are Low, Medium, and High and the Durability levels are Low, Medium, High, and Very High, then what would be a good range for the number of hits to down a weaker enemy in the game for each damage level and a range of attacks you could do before a weapon breaks at each durability level?

2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's how to predict just with this information. How long is the game going to be? How many battles in a particular amount of time will the player encounter? How many weapons will the player go through in a certain amount of times/battles? How many weapons will the player find in a given area or a certain amount of time? Will there be random battles, encounter battles? Will players be able to control how many battles they get into? How much does a basic attack take from the durability? Do skills take away more? Is using a skill worth the durability cost if the damage is better compared to a basic attack? It's complicated and it's something that you'll balance out as you make your game.

In my game, I use a base 100 uses before a weapon breaks. If the player wants they can use 100 basic attacks before it breaks, which is pretty generous for a survival horror game, but there are a fair amount of battles in the game so weapons aren't kept for too long. But the player is going to more likely to use skills and they use up more durability, but do more damage, do multiple attacks, or have a secondary effect. Weapons are found can be bought but they're extremely expensive, but mediocre weapons are aplenty if you keep your eyes open.

JosephSeraph and Wavelength like this.
  3. Bumblefish97

First Language:
    English
    Not sure how long, I'm aiming for anywhere from like 6 to 9 hours, melee weapons will be scattered around in different places. Battles will be somewhat avoidable by stealth or running away, I'm gonna be having an ABS. I'm not having any skills in the game.

4. Black Pagan

Black Pagan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Depends on what kind of Character your Main Player is. However, I can imagine Lethal, Bladed weapons would be on Top of my List in a Horror Survival Game, Why ? To induce more of a "Creepy" or "Gore" Factor.

Here are 3 weapons that i can think of :

- A Rusty Knife ( Low Damage, High Crit Chance)
    Durability : High, Very Unlikely to Break and lasts most of the Game

- A Spiked Whip (Average Damage, Strikes 2 Times in a row)
    Durability : Average, Low Chance to Break and lasts quite a while

- A Steel Crossbow (High Damage, Low Accuracy)
    Durability : Low, High Chance to Break after Few Battles

Something like the above Weapons would be well balanced because all Weapons seem equally good, But in different situations. I think you should base the Damage of the weapons on Enemy Health and Elemental Weaknesses.

5. Bumblefish97

First Language:
    English
    The melee weapons I have are; wood plank, kitchen knife, meat cleaver, steel pipe, crowbar, aluminum bat, golf club, tire iron, hammer, pickaxe, shovel, wrench, hatchet, fire axe, double headed axe. I'm just struggling with things like an exact number of how many attacks you could land with a weak or strong weapon and how many hits exactly they'd take to kill a weak enemy.

6. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Bumblefish97, I'm not sure it's a good idea that the player should be able to kill most enemies. In a survival game, survival is the win-state rather than killing enemies.

So, if you're going with breakable weapons, then my suggestion is that the question you ask is not "how many hits before an enemy dies," but "what are the odds this weapon will give the player a chance to run for their lives before the weapon breaks?" Instead of damage, perhaps the question should be about stunning an enemy so the player can run away. The randomness would create tension, which would contribute to the atmosphere of horror.

7. Bumblefish97

First Language:
    English
    The plan is a mix of enemies so there are enemies you can kill and enemies that you can't

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Bumblefish97 Game Mechanics Design is not for feedback on a specific, individual project. If that is what you want I can move this to Ideas and Prototypes. If it stays here, then you will have to accept that replies, while being on-topic, might be irrelevant to your game, in which case you should ignore them rather than try to bring the discussion back to your particular interest.

Could you please post and say whether you would like this moving or not.

9. Bumblefish97

First Language:
    English
    Yeah it might fit better in Ideas and Prototypes

10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Game Ideas and Prototypes. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.