Web-based Action RPG Maker

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Lochemage, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Lochemage

Lochemage Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi guys, first off, I am rather new to these forums and am not 100% sure if this is the correct forum to ask this in.

I really love the RPG Maker series, and own XP and VX Ace.  I have started writing my own version of an RPG Maker utility, except that it runs completely on a web browser as a web-based application. My utility has similarities to the RPG Maker series, it is a top view tile based editor that uses a form of tilesets and has a database full of stats used for the game.  It can compile your project into a standalone file for distribution.  However, it also has some differences in game mechanics, most notably the combat system is not turn based and takes place directly on the map view instead of a separate combat screen (I know, blasphemy to all those hardcore RPG'ers out there!).  It is being written completely in JavaScript with no server php/node to run it, and I intend to make it free to the public.

Before I get too deep into this project, though, I was wondering what the legal repercussions were.  Since I am only 'borrowing' the idea of the RPG Maker system, and not actually using any of its code, and I am essentially putting my own spin on the mechanics of it all, it should be alright to continue, correct?

I thank you for your input.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As long as you don't use the resources of the RTP for it but make your own grafics, sounds and so on there should be no legal problems - but the RTP is only licensed for use in RPG Makers, not in other programs.

Oh, and don't expect support from this board - this is the official company site, and we don't support programs that aren't sold by Degica...

3. Lochemage

Lochemage Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you Andar,

I appreciate your response.  Unfortunate that I am not able to use the RTP, but it was to be expected I suppose.  I am sure I can find some alternate resources, though.

Thanks.