web deployment help

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So how exactly do i go about deploying to a web server?
I tried one site but after i uploaded it says the index.html is not found in my project which is odd because its there.
Do i only zip the www folder? or the whole output folder?
What are some good places to try and upload the game?

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A lot of it is going to depend on how your server handles such things. I deployed this sample game directly to my own personal webserver via direct upload, nothing zipped, and it works fine.

For reference, I uploaded everything inside the www folder, but not the www folder itself.

Reactions: J-G

Ghost314

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was messing around with this just yesterday. If you happen to be on a windows operating system, there's an optional windows feature you can enable that will allow you to run a web server right on your own local machine.

If you follow the instructions here https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/install-and-setup-a-website-in-iis-on-windows-10/ to enable the service, then you can copy/paste everything inside the www folder of your deployed project to c:/inetpub/wwwroot and play your game from a web browser by typing http://localhost into the address bar. Kind of neat.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thats really helpful to know, how did you come about your own personal server if i may ask?

@Ghost314 Thanks i will definately try that. Since i wan't to test smoothness of play, so far it seems rather slow, but i blame my hotspot, sharing internet from my cell isn't the fastest for me haha

Speedvore

RPG Making since RM95!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I haven't tried MZ yet, but I did upload an MV web game straight to itch.io (here), which is great if you don't have your own server. It was pretty straight-forward, similar to the process that Aesica mentioned, but with itch, you just need to zip the www folder. I'm sure it works the same for MZ games, too!

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, the more sources i have to upload the better. I appreciate that

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thats really helpful to know, how did you come about your own personal server if i may ask?
I pay for it via a web hosting company, and I use it for a lot of things but its mostly just my personal web content dumping ground. :D If you just want to test deployment though, @Ghost314 's solution is definitely the way to go since you can test it right from your PC without uploading anything.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I pay for it via a web hosting company, and I use it for a lot of things but its mostly just my personal web content dumping ground. :D If you just want to test deployment though, @Ghost314 's solution is definitely the way to go since you can test it right from your PC without uploading anything.
Yeah I just tried it and on a website, for some reason it plays slow n lags a lot, seems even sv battlers used with plugin don't work even when file is there.
I'm guessing web deployment still needs fine tuning.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah I just tried it and on a website, for some reason it plays slow n lags a lot, seems even sv battlers used with plugin don't work even when file is there.
I'm guessing web deployment still needs fine tuning.
Did the link to my game lag for you as well? If not, can I see a link to yours, to see if I have the same issue? PM me if you'd rather not have the link all over the place.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is Android browser just not well suited for web? This is what the game looks like in Android browser. My wall tiles n roof tiles are gone lol
Other stages are just pitch black.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What are you thankful for? I'm thankful that I no longer have PTSD, and that I get to enjoy a good meal with my mom and stepdad! It might not be the same as before COVID, but at least I still get to enjoy the holiday!

Made another map, this one even has a cool moving waterfall. I'll have an animated GIF later whenever I'm done adding stuff. :LZSwink:
Back here again?! RPG MAKER, I can't quit you. :kaosigh:
um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
broiderers