fugahagen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Says "Your browser does not allow to read local files." The files are on a vps (Ubuntu/Nginx) and work fine on all other browsers I've tried and on different devices. Is it because my website is http and not https? The files are just sitting in the www dir with no wrapper or anything.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that has absolutely nothing to do with MZ (or MV) and the web deployment, but with the security settings of the browser.

a browser cannot see a difference between a local html file and a remote website. and if a remote website tries to access local files, that is usually a strong indication for an infected website trying to infect your computer.

as a result, all browsers have security setting to deny local access - sometimes you can place exceptions but that depends on the browser.

as soon as you upload the files to a website, all browsers will work perfectly because then the files are no longer "local". Or you can create a local webserver to simulate the effect, or you could disable the security feature in the browser that prevents loading local files (not recommended if you have a chance of going to a really infected website on the internet, that protection needs to be reactivated before that).

fugahagen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that has absolutely nothing to do with MZ (or MV) and the web deployment, but with the security settings of the browser.

a browser cannot see a difference between a local html file and a remote website. and if a remote website tries to access local files, that is usually a strong indication for an infected website trying to infect your computer.

as a result, all browsers have security setting to deny local access - sometimes you can place exceptions but that depends on the browser.

as soon as you upload the files to a website, all browsers will work perfectly because then the files are no longer "local". Or you can create a local webserver to simulate the effect, or you could disable the security feature in the browser that prevents loading local files (not recommended if you have a chance of going to a really infected website on the internet, that protection needs to be reactivated before that).
That's the thing it is on a web server. Even on mobile it works on Chrome but not Firefox. And I've been clearing the cache like crazy.
I've think I've narrowed it down now. When I restart the webserver (Nginx) the game will load and play fine until I reload the page and it goes back to "Your browser does not allow to read local files."

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's the thing it is on a web server.
if it was correctly on a webserver, it would not try to access local files and be blocked that way.

If it is a real (internet-connected) webserver, then please give us the adress so we can check.
If you simulate a webserver locally, then there is probably something wrong with the configuration somewhere.

in both cases a console screenshot of the error trace would help as well.

fugahagen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is the IP to the server: It's a cheap data center VPS from linode.
I had a 404 for the pixi.js in the console but cleared browser cache and it's gone. There is literally nothing in the console for a fresh project lol.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no problems playing the last three, although with very slow loading times.
yes, the fresh project works fine for me in firefox.
only the first one (anetz) had eternal load at the first try, and the same error message on the second try.

OK, took me a few minutes to find the real error message, and even that was more an indication of what went wrong than anything else.

the message I got was "unreachable code after return statement" in visustella's battlecore - twice.
usually that error means either a typo or a very bad programming structure, but that can't be the case here because then everyone would get that error.
best guess so far would be a problem in a plugin above that one that somehow causes one return sequence too many, basically trying to get above root for the game. And the other browsers block that automatically while for firefox it's interpreted as "above root is local files".

fugahagen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no problems playing the last three, although with very slow loading times.
yes, the fresh project works fine for me in firefox.
only the first one (anetz) had eternal load at the first try, and the same error message on the second try.

OK, took me a few minutes to find the real error message, and even that was more an indication of what went wrong than anything else.

the message I got was "unreachable code after return statement" in visustella's battlecore - twice.
usually that error means either a typo or a very bad programming structure, but that can't be the case here because then everyone would get that error.
best guess so far would be a problem in a plugin above that one that somehow causes one return sequence too many, basically trying to get above root for the game. And the other browsers block that automatically while for firefox it's interpreted as "above root is local files".
What?! It's working of firefox for you? Your experience is not like mine at all haha. First they all load and play instantly for me on 4 different devices Chrome/Opera/Edge including phones. Firefox works on none of them even with the fresh project. Actually getting connection error on my phone (firefox only)as it appears it is trying to force https even with that setting off in Firefox.

As for your third paragraph the only plugin above battle core is visu core. I don't know what a sequence is in this context but its happening with a fresh project as well so I assume the plugin error is a symptom of whatever the root cause is.

UPDATE: I may have not been clearing cache on my phone enough cause I just did again and now all the games work just fine somehow for the first time. I need to turn caching on my webserver off for testing it seems.
I have no idea why but even on PC its working with Firefox now. I can now play all games on all browsers with no loading times or errors. I'm just confused now.

UPDATE2: Ok now I'm getting the same not allowed to read local files error again. Battlecore error shows up only when this happens. Fresh project has no errors when failing to load. Sometimes some of the games load but its like the more I try the less it works. Clearing cache not doing anything anymore.

UPDATE3: Was getting to work sometimes with cache clearing on client and server but that seems to work like once this nothing loads.

I think I'm just not gonna care about firefox anymore lol

Thanks for all your help!

fugahagen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok so I discovered the network tab in the browsers console and checked disable cache and it worked and works consistently. No idea why manually clearing cache doesn't work. Still not gonna care anymore!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

A good way to practice writing is to write "flash fiction"; very short stories. Link
[CM]
5VaUMjAFpz1I6fSsgDrfJc.jpg

Title is star.
Dam, does the night get to me, I sound and look like a monster. Its 3:54 am right now...I need sleep...or...coffee.
It has nothing to do with my project, but I'm in love with voxels
If you feel like your story isn't that great, just look at final fantasy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsytrggfsdb