Weekly Art Challenge #11

Discussion in 'Weekly Art Challenge' started by EvilEagles, Mar 3, 2014.

?

Who do you think wins?

1. Julien Brightside - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-2658-0-38294700-13939

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chaos Avian - http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/Phoenix-Crest/Scene01JacksonsNightmareFlashbac

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Talo - http://i.imgur.com/kVCRBQK.png

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Antisentience - http://i.imgur.com/qCfwQpO.jpg?1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clydous - https://soundcloud.com/thatmaestroguy/you-lose

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  6. Makio-Kuta - http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/068/9/c/weekly_art_chall_copy_by_makio_kuta-d79j

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  7. Ksi - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/24425-weekly-art-challenge-11/#entry236643

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]

Introduction

Weekly Art Challenge is a recurring event for the Art, Literature and Music forum wherein there is a new challenge for artists every week. The goal of the event is to encourage art and going outside the box by imposing interesting challenges and limitations. After a week, a poll will be up for everyone to vote to select the best entry. The winner with the most votes will receive a pretty little badge for bragging rights.

Also, please be sure to check out the previous challenge's thread.

[​IMG]

Rules

• A new challenge/theme will be posted up in a new thread every week.
    • Participants are to follow the rules imposed by the challenge/theme. Any questions may be asked. However, I reserve the right to disqualify any entries that I feel do not meet the criterion.
    • A challenge lasts for approximately a week. Deadline for all Weekly Challenges is strictly at 12:00AM, GMT +0, on Monday.
    • On the week after, a poll will be up in the same thread. Only one entry will win. In the case where there are more than one winning entry with equal votes, all winning entries will be rewarded.
    • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, when the winner will be announced.
    • The winner gets to call the theme/challenge for the following week. If the winner does not wish to do so, then I will come up with one.
    • All forms of art are welcome.
    • Entries must be done completely from scratch by their respective participants. This means no pre-existing stock materials are allowed, regardless of the degree to which they have been altered. Whoever is caught intentionally violating this rule will be subject to the punishment stated in our Forum Rules regarding Credit Theft.
    • No need to register. Just start working on your entry right away if you've decided to participate.
    • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.
    • There is absolutely no measurements coming from us on the completion of a piece. Whether a piece is complete for final submission or not, is entirely your own call. So don't be discouraged if you think you can only afford to doodle a couple lines. Anything is fine.
    [​IMG]

This week's Challenge

A scene of despair.

• Deadline: 12:00AM (GMT +0) on Monday, March 10th, 2014.
    • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, March 15th, 2014.
    • Any questions may be asked here.
    • All forms of art are welcome.
    • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.

And that is it. Have fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Clydous

Clydous Slowly moseying my way back... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This sounds good. VERY good. =)

EvilEagles likes this.
  3. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    It is despair, our daily means of subsistence, after all.

sai likes this.
  4. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    This was the first thing that came to mind.

despair.png

5. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    If we're talking about despair then I already have a picture ready that I drew a little while ago. Thing is, I'm not sure if it would be "appropriate/ too heavy" to submit here...

6. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Go ahead. Just put it in spoiler tags and give a warning beforehand or something ahaha.

7. Clydous

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Bleh...not sure about being able to finish making what I wanted for this week's challenge...which is a REAL tragedy because I like this subject matter. :<

8. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Ok, so here it is.

WARNING: Somewhat graphic content.

[​IMG]

EvilEagles, Makio-Kuta and Dalph like this.
  9. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Chaos Avian:

I smell huge perversion, despair and rape in the air, but whatever...that's why I love it...ahahah

Great Work.

dayum...I'm such a pervert. :headshake:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
    Susan and Chaos Avian like this.
  10. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Tried drawing with a mouse in flash... I think I got the point across

[​IMG]

11. That Bread

That Bread Veteran Veteran

Nice one Talo! That brought back some memories of bosses that were just to much. Oh the despair I felt!

Chaos Avian... somewhat?! I would say Graphic Content, I don't think its somewhat at all... besides that its a nice drawing and it does invoke a feeling of utter doom.

12. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    Nice one Talo, yeah, we`ve all definitely been there at some point.

13. Antisentience

Antisentience Sadist Member

First Language:
    English
    No I wasn't trying but I wanted to draw the game cover, and let people know that the struggle is real; you're not alone.

Warning: lolcat swearing

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
  14. Clydous

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, I was able to spit something out, but I'm a little disappointed in it. This may either be due to the fact that I didn't have enough time to work on and complete the original piece I was working on for this contest or because this track sounds dated (to me, anyway). Does it invoke the feeling of despair or sadness? Sure. But I dunno...

Anyway, it's titled "You Lose." Not sure as to why...I came up with the idea for it a while back and remember that's what it was called back then, sooo...yeah. Name stuck on it. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "Game Over" type of theme, but I suppose it could be used as such.

Anywho, hope you all enjoy it.

You Lose

EvilEagles and Makio-Kuta like this.
  15. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wanted to make this a lot more polished than this but just haven't had the time and just plain feeling sick lately. Hopefully the impact can still be there despite its simplicity.

[​IMG]

16. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Gosh that looks just like how I usually imagine my worst ever despair, losing loved ones and feeling utterly hopeless. And then I'd look up to the sky, burst in tears and scream.

I don't even know why I think about that stuff sometimes but, yeah that's pretty much how I envision it. So great job Makio.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  17. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    He'd been in the prison for years before she came and lit his life with images of the outside once more. Being trapped in the white-lit rooms of sterility that served as his keeping place, he'd forgotten the beauty of a flower and the song of birds in the early dawn. She reintroduced them to him, taking him on journeys to places he'd never seen before, describing things in such detail that he only realised she was blind after years of friendship, when she stumbled back into the cell after a particularly brutal session with the Master of the Keys and bemoaned the darkness.

"Darkness?" he'd asked, "Why, the world here is made of light. Night and day, day and night; no darkness to find us here. They think it will give us... ideas."

She smiled at that and explained her predicament; the child of a dictator who fell from power, caged in this darkless world in the hopes she'd never take up the power he'd once wielded.

"As if I'd want that." she sighed. "As if I ever wanted anything like that."

It surprised him, how much she knew about imagery when she, herself, could not see but he took it in stride and helped her imagine new worlds, new scenery. They joined together on journeys of imagining, often slaying evil - and at times, not-so-evil - beasts, overcoming raging rapids, dancing in the stars themselves. Chains and light-filled rooms became nothing to the escape of their minds and together they lived out worlds' worth of lives in their thoughts, providing each other a companion and, in some cases, enemy with which to share the lonely hours.

One night he plucked up his bravery and dared to take her hand and walk under a bridge of starlight he'd constructed for them. The sweet breath of sakura brushed over them as he looked into her eyes, stroked the hair from her face and breathed the three heaviest words he'd longed to say.

Her smile would echo through his thoughts a lifetime, her words back would ring in his ears for an ever and he felt time slowly slip away as they once more flew through lives together, this time with the small difference of holding hands and catching each others' eyes knowingly. Together they faced fear and hate, foe and friend and won, won, won.

One night he was alone, she having been taken to the Head of the Keys for another 'session'. His mind was afire with a new imagining that, he was sure, would delight her. This time, a larger change - a child. A family together in a world where they lived within a hollowed moon. She would be an herbalist, a healer and he would be a handsome woodcutter.

He was broken from this thoughts by the clatter of her return. The glass between their cells - making it easier for the Keepers to check in on them - showed him horror beyond any they'd imagined. She was bloodied, battered, barely able to stand. A rough hand pushed her into the cell and she fell there, awkwardly landing on her arm. She cried out, pained, and he called to her with worry. The owner of the hand turned, grabbed something, then grinned.

"She's of no use any more."

A meaty noise, a sound both known and unknown. Metallic light reflected in his eyes and the soft slide of bone against metal. She screamed, blood fleeing her body to the ground below.

Course laughter, door closing and slamming shut and then just the light and harsh, choking breaths. Her hand, reaching towards where she thought him to be, scratching at the ground and trying to do something. He stood, shocked. Watching. Voice unable to work as she cried his name, ever softer.

Hand reaching, failing and falling for the last time.

He watched, empty, as her face became slack; her breathing, stopped. And then he knew the fear of living on without her. He scrabbled to reach her, to grab her and hold her close; examine her face and commit every part to memory. He screamed, beating against the glass that separated him from her body, hurled himself against it time and time again until the bruises on the outside were as painful as those inside.

At last, lacking energy, he slumped against the glass, eyes blinded by the tears that swallowed him inside and out. He panicked - he couldn't remember her face or how she looked on that night when they professed their love to each other under the bridge of the heavens. He let go, screamed and cried and fled from the knowledge of her death.

He broke.

Hours later they opened the cell to find his crumpled body, hand reaching as though to grasp her own. He breathed still, but one could never mistake him for living.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  18. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Sorry for the late wrap-up guys. Things got a bit tight on my end. But in any case, the poll is now up and so is Challenge #12 :D

19. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]

Time for voting is up. It seems we finally have a winner for Weekly Art Challenge #11. A big thanks to everyone who participated and to those who voted for the entries. Here's a wrap-up for the poll:

Julien Brightside - 0 vote

Chaos Avian - 1 vote

Talo - 0 vote

Antisentience - 0 vote

Clydous - 4 votes

Makio-Kuta - 6 votes

Ksi - 5 votes

And so, the winner of our 11th Weekly Art Challenge is the awesome Makio-Kutawho will be receiving this little badge for bragging rights.

[​IMG]

Again, thank you all very much for your attention and participation. And please don't forget to check out our 12th Weekly Art Challenge over here~

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.