Weekly Art Challenge #14

Discussion in 'Weekly Art Challenge' started by EvilEagles, Mar 24, 2014.

?

Who do you think wins?

1. Talo - http://i.imgur.com/D2erce4.png

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Ms Littlefish - http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/likmysaltybalz87/Selene.jpg

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Julien Brightside - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-2658-0-68440900-13958

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. palladinthug - http://i.imgur.com/fKpZsyT.jpg

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  5. CorneredCosmos - http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/089/8/4/athena_nike_crowning_nike_victor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. CWells - http://i62.tinypic.com/2vximxj.jpg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. wallacethepig - http://i62.tinypic.com/671bw9.png

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. daheji - http://img109.xooimage.com/files/2/3/8/medusa-44e3dd9.jpg

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Litzana - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-31065-0-72807700-1395711719.png

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]

Introduction

Weekly Art Challenge is a recurring event for the Art, Literature and Music forum wherein there is a new challenge for artists every week. The goal of the event is to encourage art and going outside the box by imposing interesting challenges and limitations. After a week, a poll will be up for everyone to vote to select the best entry. The winner with the most votes will receive a pretty little badge for bragging rights.

Also, please be sure to check out the previous challenge's thread.

[​IMG]

Rules

• A new challenge/theme will be posted up in a new thread every week.
    • Participants are to follow the rules imposed by the challenge/theme. Any questions may be asked. However, I reserve the right to disqualify any entries that I feel do not meet the criterion.
    • A challenge lasts for approximately a week. Deadline for all Weekly Challenges is strictly at 12:00AM, GMT +0, on Monday.
    • On the week after, a poll will be up in the same thread. Only one entry will win. In the case where there are more than one winning entry with equal votes, all winning entries will be rewarded.
    • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, when the winner will be announced.
    • The winner gets to call the theme/challenge for the following week. If the winner does not wish to do so, then I will come up with one.
    • All forms of art are welcome.
    • No need to register. Just start working on your entry right away if you've decided to participate.
    • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.
    • There is absolutely no measurements coming from us on the completion of a piece. Whether a piece is complete for final submission or not, is entirely your own call. So don't be discouraged if you think you can only afford to doodle a couple lines. Anything is fine.
    • Entries must be done completely from scratch by their respective participants. This means no pre-existing stock materials are allowed, regardless of the degree to which they have been altered. Whoever is caught intentionally violating this rule will be subject to the punishment stated in our Forum Rules regarding Credit Theft.
    • Entries must be done within the week after the challenge has been issued. No previously done work is allowed. Entries violating this rule may be automatically disqualified without prior notice.
    [​IMG]

This week's Challenge

Greek Mythology.

• Deadline: 12:00AM (GMT +0) on Monday, March 31st, 2014.
    • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, April 5th, 2014.
    • Any questions may be asked here.
    • All forms of art are welcome.
    • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.

And that is it. Have fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  2. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Just for the record, we were supposed to have a new banner this week, but I screwed up my schedule and am now rushing for deadlines ;-; my apologies. We shall have a shiny new banner next week!

Also, many thanks to numfanklewhat for this week's theme!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  3. wallacethepig

wallacethepig Potato Mage Veteran

First Language:
    Piglish
    Inspiration has struck. I am definitely participating in this challenge. (I have a pun ready, I just hope no one else steals it. Actually, it's a pretty foul-smelling pun, so no one will steal it, I'm assuming...)

Also, looking forward to the new banner. And all the other entries, of course! :D

-Wallace

4. Litzana

Litzana That Crazy Lady Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hmm, might enter this one if I have time ^^

5. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I may have to take a crack at this.

6. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I usually use very few lines and opt for mostly painting using the brush tools in Photoshop directly, but I threw a few pencil marks down first. I am doing a portrait of the moon goddess Selene. Not much is known about her but she is described as having bright and beautiful hair so I think we're going red! Most of the images also showed a crescent moon adorning her head. This is very WIP. 

[​IMG]

UPDATE: Ending here for the night. It's looking more like an Aine then a Selene but I'm loving it so far. Got a lot of the base done but won't  get into shading and blending it for reals until tomorrow. Gotta sleep. 

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    EvilEagles and mlogan like this.
  7. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    [​IMG]

I tried to do a simplified symbol that you would see for a logo or something of that sorts.  If you haven't guessed it's Zues and Hades

Example use of symbol:

[​IMG]

Note, this is a Starbucks coffee cup, not drawn, and not part of the submission, only use as demonstrative aid.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    Chaos Avian, Ralph and EvilEagles like this.
  8. Litzana

Litzana That Crazy Lady Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Very rough WIP sketch - Hercules slaying the Hydra.

Hercules.png

EvilEagles likes this.
  9. CWells

CWells Storyteller/Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I will be entering this one and am working on my piece. I have to get back into art and building up my own portfolio so I'm going to spend some good time with this one.

10. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Part moon goddess Selene. Part, it looks more like a Celtic goddess. Part, Maybe it's Maybelline. (I at least get a participation prize for the hair, right?)

[​IMG]

I will probably clean this up a little more. I don't know if I'm going to do more with the background. But, here is my progress on my entry. I need a piano break.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  11. wallacethepig

First Language:
    Piglish
    My WIP is here. Puns abound...

It IS a WIP. Very much so. I plan on fleshing out the background and lightning bolts, as well as removing the black outline and making the eyes look nicer. I'll need to work on the tunic as well. I don't know what I'll do with the stain...

Either way, I think I'm improving through taking time to actually go back and erase stuff.

-Wallace

That Bread and Ms Littlefish like this.
  12. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really did LOL. 

wallacethepig likes this.
  13. Goldstorm

Goldstorm ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    /thread

14. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Goldstorm, please avoid spamming with only one or few words that contribute nothing to the involved matters of the thread. Thank you.

15. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    Talo: Heh, Greecebucks. I think they fit nicely as symbols.

Litzana: I like where it is going.

Ms Littlefish: I can't help but think her eyes look a bit unsymmetrical. Her face looks a bit off.
    I wonder how the moon circlet stays in place. Where is that light coming from?
    What I do love about it is the coloring and shading.That hair looks really gorgeous.
    I like the detail you got on the lips as well.

16. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean about the face. One eye is a little low. Didn't catch that. It's an easy fix, too. I'm trying to make it appear as though the light is coming from her since Selene is suppose to be bright and light the night sky. I'm hoping once I get around to the background I can somehow convey that more. Oh, and yes, I suppose her circlet needs a band. :D

17. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    -But I thought I got the riddle answered right?

-Here's another, what weighs over a metric ton, is hungry and is a sore loser?

sphinx.png

numfanklewhat and Bonkers like this.
  18. wallacethepig

First Language:
    Piglish
    Did a teeny tiny bit of editing today. Mostly I just shrunk the size of the lines around the arms and toga, but I didn't have a whole lot of time to do much of anything else. I've got a long way to go...

[​IMG]

-Wallace

numfanklewhat likes this.
  19. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
     @ Ms Littlefish Sorry I'm kinda confused, but is the pig nose deliberate?

20. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I tried to do a looking up into the sky kind of thing, and apparently it's hard to make that look good, nose wise. I do not art often. I've only been getting into it in the past few months. Trying to get more face positions perfected other than straight on and three quarters. :X

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.