Weekly Art Challenge #16

Discussion in 'Weekly Art Challenge' started by EvilEagles, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Who do you think wins?

1. Talo - http://i.imgur.com/HciXb3j.png

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. palladinthug - http://i.imgur.com/B43p2Wh.jpg

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. mlogan - http://i.imgur.com/viNfuhD.png

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Makio-Kuta - http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/116/7/f/wac16_by_makio_kuta-d7g1yz5.png

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  5. Julien Brightside - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-2658-0-47723500-13986

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Pyonkotchi - http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/117/2/1/dfsdfsdf_by_pyonkotcchi-d7g8qre.png

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  7. justjasonentertainment - http://www.mediafire.com/view/48mmkdg63vuc2ge/Jen%27s%20Draw%20-%20RPG%20SC

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Cronus - http://i.imgur.com/wGbja4F.png

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]

Introduction

Weekly Art Challenge is a recurring event for the Art, Literature and Music forum wherein there is a new challenge for artists every week. The goal of the event is to encourage art and going outside the box by imposing interesting challenges and limitations. After a week, a poll will be up for everyone to vote to select the best entry. The winner with the most votes will receive a pretty little badge for bragging rights.

Also, please be sure to check out the previous challenge's thread.

[​IMG]

Rules

• A new challenge/theme will be posted up in a new thread every week.
    • Participants are to follow the rules imposed by the challenge/theme. Any questions may be asked. However, I reserve the right to disqualify any entries that I feel do not meet the criterion.
    • A challenge lasts for approximately a week. Deadline for all Weekly Challenges is strictly at 12:00AM, GMT +0, on Monday.
    • On the week after, a poll will be up in the same thread. Only one entry will win. In the case where there are more than one winning entry with equal votes, all winning entries will be rewarded.
    • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, when the winner will be announced.
    • The winner gets to call the theme/challenge for the following week. If the winner does not wish to do so, then I will come up with one.
    • All forms of art are welcome.
    • No need to register. Just start working on your entry right away if you've decided to participate.
    • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.
    • There is absolutely no measurements coming from us on the completion of a piece. Whether a piece is complete for final submission or not, is entirely your own call. So don't be discouraged if you think you can only afford to doodle a couple lines. Anything is fine.
    • Entries must be done completely from scratch by their respective participants. This means no pre-existing stock materials are allowed, regardless of the degree to which they have been altered. Whoever is caught intentionally violating this rule will be subject to the punishment stated in our Forum Rules regarding Credit Theft.
    • Entries must be done within the week after the challenge has been issued. No previously done work is allowed. Entries violating this rule may be automatically disqualified without prior notice.
    [​IMG]

This week's Challenge

Remake something either of yours or from the XP/VX/VXA RTP in a sci-fi inspired/futuristic setting.

• Deadline: 12:00AM (GMT +0) on Monday, April 28th, 2014.
    • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, May 3rd, 2014.
    • Any questions may be asked here.
    • All forms of art are welcome.
    • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.

And that is it. Have fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  2. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Sorry Scythuz (oops I mean Clydous *facepalms* sorry I always get you guys mixed up aaaaaaaaa). I know you're viewing. But this theme is what palladinthug chose :p it's his right as the previous WAC's winner XD

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  3. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This one would definitely be more challenging for me. Hmm. Full body suits and visors anyone? I'll see what I can doodle up. 

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Couldn't the music people take a theme from one of the RTPs and tweak it to be scifi? It's not exactly the same but I think it should count.

5. Clydous

Clydous Slowly moseying my way back... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Best of luck to this week's participants! Make it happen! XD

6. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Yeah that's a good idea too actually!

7. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's essentially what I did last week though it was a theme for one of my characters instead of RTP. Took it from orchestral to pop. I could do the same thing again but from whatever to techno/ambient. Haha, I might but probably for a different character of mine, this time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  8. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

I am not good in art but I am up for pixel art, is it allowed?

9. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Totally cool.

Evan Finkel likes this.
  10. sai

sai devourer of eggs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    YEA GOOD CHALLENGE

Bonkers and EvilEagles like this.
  11. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    haha have a good challenge I will try to participate but my manga stole me a lot of time of mine but i will try!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  12. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

Sorry I cannot participate in this challenge. Due to virus issues, I have to re-install everything.

But I may try on next challenge, good luck everyone!

13. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    When I think of future, I think of robots

[​IMG]

EDIT: Made with MS PAINT, no stock, no pallets, no nothing, blank white.  Took me 2 hours to do the sprite sheet, this is 1 of 12 sprites on it.

Why are all the themes, Draw something,... we have writers and musicians here too.  Can we make them more vague, like, Future theme, Sci Fi theme, zombie theme etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    hiromu656 and Ms Littlefish like this.
  14. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    That's because the Weekly Art Challenge is aimed to provide interesting challenges and themes for people (mostly art people, unfortunately). And the themes wouldn't be as fun and challenging if they were universal. Sometimes they just have to be specific and exclusive to be interesting, and I think this is one of those. That said though, we do have universal themes every now and then.

And are you sure that's something from the RTP or from your own stuff?

15. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    wow really? yes it's mine, from pixel scratch, want to see the sprite sheet I made it from: _

Also, the reason I asked was I was hoping to start doing mini games for my art challenge entry

16. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I'm asking where the character is FROM not whom it's made by.

17. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    It's a character that is now in a RPG VX ACE game that I am making.  So it falls into my own stuff category.

18. Chef Boy RD

Chef Boy RD Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Awww, I had some great sketches as I was looking forward to such a concept... Unfortunately, my tablet has just seen the last of its life lol.

19. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Might I suggest that the wording has a large effect on the perception of the challenge? The topic could be, "Using a character, your own or RTP, place them in a sci fi/futuristic setting." It more or less means the same thing as, "Draw a character, either yours or RTP, in a sci fi/futuristic outfit"  but removing the word 'draw' instantly opens up the topic to writers without losing much specification in the title. In fact calling for a setting I feel even gives more range and opportunity than an outfit. Remember that being too specific works against creativity. Not saying that will be a problem this week but I digress.

I don't disagree with specific subjects but I don't think any other medium should be alienated because of majority rule. True, the title said 'draw' last week and I was still able to come up with music (I'm ornery), but plenty of people will feel turned away or think their medium is not a valid entry. 

TL; DR  You can get specific but the wording of the subject is problematic

Chiara and EvilEagles like this.
  20. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Alright I've changed it. Hopefully that clears it up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.