Weekly Art Challenge #16

Discussion in 'Weekly Art Challenge' started by EvilEagles, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Who do you think wins?

1. Talo - http://i.imgur.com/HciXb3j.png

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. palladinthug - http://i.imgur.com/B43p2Wh.jpg

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. mlogan - http://i.imgur.com/viNfuhD.png

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Makio-Kuta - http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/116/7/f/wac16_by_makio_kuta-d7g1yz5.png

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  5. Julien Brightside - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-2658-0-47723500-13986

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Pyonkotchi - http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/117/2/1/dfsdfsdf_by_pyonkotcchi-d7g8qre.png

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  7. justjasonentertainment - http://www.mediafire.com/view/48mmkdg63vuc2ge/Jen%27s%20Draw%20-%20RPG%20SC

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Cronus - http://i.imgur.com/wGbja4F.png

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    The idea is to not have anything started though

2. Chef Boy RD

Chef Boy RD Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I read the topic immediately when it was created, and didn't respond back until 4 days later.  All I was suggesting was that I was in the alpha phase, which is creating rough sketches of motion, mood, scenery, etc. and then my tablet crapped out.  Not sure how you would get that I would utilize prior work for the challenge, but nevertheless, forgive my wording I suppose?

3. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was hoping to see more people's stuff.  I guess Sci-fi really is the black sheep of the family here.

[​IMG]

15 min sketch.  I'll be refining more tonight.

EDIT: Unfortunately the free time was not had to complete things.  Ah joy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  4. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since others post their early sketches, I'll post what I have so far: Rick as the 4th Doctor (Mack style).

[​IMG]

I'm working to make the scarf cover his face as the original Rick's face is, but I'm struggling to get that part just right. Anyway, I like him. :D

EvilEagles and Bonkers like this.
  5. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh no! NO NO NO! I am not missing out on a scifi art challenge. I suck at all things scifi, but it is my favourite Genre to think about slapping my very fantasy orientated characters into.

Thus! I already have a rather detailed scifi AU in my head for a few characters from Artoris that I have been itching to illustrate something small from. I won't have time to go past this sketch stage, so to spice it up I wrote a little drabble to go with the image. I'm late to the party and my work schedule changed, so I certainly can't go further with the image!

[​IMG]

Pointless flavour text in the spoiler box!

When his brother had finally upgraded his keycard to allow for full access of the laboratory, Ismen had been delighted. Well, perhaps delighted was too strong a word for such a serious man as he, but there was a small rush of boyish pleasure every time he swiped his card on a door he couldn't open before and heard the computerized voice say, "Access granted." Seeking that pleasure pushed him deeper and deeper into the labyrinth that made up the lower levels of the building. He noted that the hallways' upkeep was diminishing as he went, lights flickering angrily and dust that had not been disturbed in years puffing up in clouds around him. At one point, when he reached a corridor with no power, dark and stagnant with a haunting silence, he couldn't help but think he should turn back.
    His legs betrayed him, however, and he pushed forward still. He passed doors that no longer had the vitality to read his card, let alone open, and strange somethings scurried past that even a scientist like himself did not have the gall to identify. His logical judgement screamed at him to turn around, get out of there, but he found his legs still moved him forward. That in itself, that his body could so blatantly deny his mind, was fascinating, and if he weren't levels below his work station, he might have thought to study his behaviour.

One of the larger somethings brushed against his leg, causing him to jump and swear loudly. It was the first noise he had made since entering the lengthy hallway, and the way his voice echoed around him was chilling. He moved faster.

Finally, his vision gazed upon a door whose keycard box was lit up at what seemed to be the end of the hall; the sight caused him to rush forward, several somethings quickly clearing the way for him, lest his heavy boots land on their skulls. He swiped his card frantically, only now noticing how tight his heart was and how ragged and fast his breathing had become.

"Access Granted."

The door creaked loudly in dismay, opening for the first time in years. "More dust," he grumbled bitterly, the sound of his own voice, now without echo, causing him little comfort as he walked through the opening.

That was when he saw her.

For all his life, Ismen fancied himself a scientist. Facts meant more than feelings, theories more than dreams, and results more than living. So, he would find himself questioning forever the moment when his heart caught in his throat, and he's knees buckled uselessly under her gaze.

She was beautiful, but it was more than that.

After collecting himself, he moved closer, gazed and analyzed. Firstly, she was an android, that much was perfectly clear. He had seen plenty in his life working directly under his brother, Chief of the Robotics and AI Division. Secondly, she was incomplete; there was no outer shell making wires, circuit boards, and the metallic skeleton visible in most spots. Thirdly, her face, eyes glowing lightly in the low energy, was amazingly detailed. Most androids he had seen, crafted by the hands of his brother, were lifeless, faceless, inhuman, but these eyes that gazed down at him shone with human intellect. It was terrifying, but so, so beautiful.

He raised a trembling hand to her face, running his fingers down the smooth metal, and jolted back when a brilliant array of lights lit up across her surface. A whirring noise, one he recognized as a computer starting, took over the room, and he heard metal grind against metal as the eyes turned to face him.

"Unit M1-N11-11, code 'Mythril' engaged. Please input orders."

Her voice was not quite as human as his, but not quite as machine as the keycard reader.

Before long, his feet were betraying him again, propelling him through the dark corridor back to society.

He knew he'd be back.

6. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
  7. Pyonkotchi

Pyonkotchi Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    im not that big on sci fi but i like spacey stuff. so i drew a character of mine in a more retro-future type outfit 

not done obviously lol i started coloring before i finished the lines B)

[​IMG]

8. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Pyonkotchi: That's so cute! Love the face and the shading so far, especially on the shirt~

9. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    That is seriously so adorable.

10. justjasonentertainment

justjasonentertainment Warper Member

First Language:
    English
  11. Pyonkotchi

Pyonkotchi Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    finished. i dont rlly feel like adding a background so thats it lol

[​IMG]

12. Cronus

Cronus Social Awkward Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    067-Goblin01, the Space Pirate!

[​IMG]  [​IMG]

Yuna, Archeia, Makio-Kuta and 5 others like this.
  13. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Alright guys. The poll is up. We have surprisingly only 8 submissions this time. This theme probably wasn't very prevalent? Nevertheless I hope this was a great exercise for everyone who participated (or tried to).

14. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ha, thanks for including my not-finished sprite, lol! I'm sad I didn't have time to finish over the weekend, but it was fun inspiration!

15. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]

Time for voting is up. It seems we finally have a winner for Weekly Art Challenge #16. A big thanks to everyone who participated and to those who voted for the entries. Here's a wrap-up for the poll:

Talo - 1 vote

palladinthug - 3 votes

mlogan - 1 vote

Makio-Kuta - 7 votes

Julien Brightside - 0 vote

Pyonkotchi - 11 votes

justjasonentertainment - 1 vote

Cronus - 8 votes

And so, the winner of our 16th Weekly Art Challenge is the amazing Pyonkotchiwho will be receiving this little badge for bragging rights.

[​IMG]

Again, thank you all very much for your attention and participation. And please don't forget to check out our 17th Weekly Art Challenge over here~

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.