Weekly Art Challenge #19

Discussion in 'Weekly Art Challenge' started by EvilEagles, May 12, 2014.

?

Who do you think wins?

1. Blindga - http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y467/Blindga/Crab_zps0f3b0a2c.png

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Makio-Kuta - http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/132/5/5/phirme_small_by_makio_kuta-d7i3pf9.png

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Ms Littlefish - https://soundcloud.com/maireadgamemusic/wait-for-the-flood-now-or-never

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Jonnie91 - https://soundcloud.com/jonnie91/under-the-water

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome - http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg525/dragons_fire1/Own%20Art/Meredi

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. leilaheliday - http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t622/leilaheliday/UNDERTHESEA_zps10d6eb8f.png?t=1

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  7. theadellie - http://i61.tinypic.com/bgs1nb.jpg

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  8. Ninja Art - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-7460-0-31095800-1400120235.jp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ms Littlefish - https://soundcloud.com/maireadgamemusic/to-the-bottom-searching-for-serpents

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  10. numfanklewhat - http://puu.sh/8Ovd9.jpg

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  11. Monkeysnow55 :) - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-22140-0-00442800-140032

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Julien Brightside - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-2658-0-24351900-14004

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. supercow - http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/139/9/0/mr_crab_by_starlands-d7ix4ml.png

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]

Introduction

Weekly Art Challenge is a recurring event for the Art, Literature and Music forum wherein there is a new challenge for artists every week. The goal of the event is to encourage art and going outside the box by imposing interesting challenges and limitations. After a week, a poll will be up for everyone to vote to select the best entry. The winner with the most votes will receive a pretty little badge for bragging rights.

Also, please be sure to check out the previous challenge's thread.

[​IMG]

Rules

• A new challenge/theme will be posted up in a new thread every week.
    • Participants are to follow the rules imposed by the challenge/theme. Any questions may be asked. However, I reserve the right to disqualify any entries that I feel do not meet the criterion.
    • A challenge lasts for approximately a week. Deadline for all Weekly Challenges is strictly at 12:00AM, GMT +0, on Monday.
    • On the week after, a poll will be up in the same thread. Only one entry will win. In the case where there are more than one winning entry with equal votes, all winning entries will be rewarded.
    • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, when the winner will be announced.
    • The winner gets to call the theme/challenge for the following week. If the winner does not wish to do so, then I will come up with one.
    • All forms of art are welcome.
    • No need to register. Just start working on your entry right away if you've decided to participate.
    • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.
    • There is absolutely no measurements coming from us on the completion of a piece. Whether a piece is complete for final submission or not, is entirely your own call. So don't be discouraged if you think you can only afford to doodle a couple lines. Anything is fine.
    • Entries must be done completely from scratch by their respective participants. This means no pre-existing stock materials are allowed, regardless of the degree to which they have been altered. Whoever is caught intentionally violating this rule will be subject to the punishment stated in our Forum Rules regarding Credit Theft.
    • Entries must be done within the week after the challenge has been issued. No previously done work is allowed. Entries violating this rule may be automatically disqualified without prior notice.
    [​IMG]

This week's Challenge

Under the sea.

• Deadline: 12:00AM (GMT +0) on Monday, May 19th, 2014.
    • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, May 24th, 2014.
    • Any questions may be asked here.
    • All forms of art are welcome.
    • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.

And that is it. Have fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
    Tuxedo Leila likes this.
  2. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    This is going to be an interesting challenge. I'm seriously hoping there will be more music submissions than usual, since this is quite a universal challenge, and the music in underwater scenes in RPGs always gets me. Have fun everyone, and go nuts!

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
    Jonnie91 likes this.
  3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, I wish I had time for this! What a great theme!

4. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Now ~ I will begin it today and finish today! =^=.......

I think the casual mermaid will be cool~

5. Monkeysnow55 The Cookie

Monkeysnow55 The Cookie Cookie Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Cookie
    Same here! Planned it out the minute I saw it. :D  

6. Clydous

Clydous Slowly moseying my way back... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wheels are turning...

7. Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian Abyssal Wing Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Hmmm, under the sea eh? SOO much possibilities... only one entry...

8. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    You can actually submit multiple entries, and each will be voted separately. Your final score will be the total amount of votes all of your entries get :)

Bonkers, Chaos Avian and Makio-Kuta like this.
  9. Blindga

Blindga Relax and Rethink Veteran

Well, I did this just now.

[​IMG]

I tried to make a hermit crab battler. This took me about 45minutes-hour. Not really sure. I'm not a very great artist here and I have absolutely no knowledge on this topic at all. But you know, sometimes we don't get the liberty of knowing what we're doing before we do it.

Monsters is something I always wanted to learn, but never really pushed myself to try. I felt like a crab would be a good first shot at making animals and beasts. But, it's also very unusual and difficult for me. The amount of detail I see in some monsters is absolutely staggering, and I can only imagine the days and days I would need to spend to make a good monster or animal creature. Heck, I need days and days to figure out how to draw normal people in a way that doesn't look like a kid drew it. And even then, I'm relying on other artists all the time in order to check my work and correct me on mistakes. So I was really nervous to try this, but I figured I would give it a blind shot and see what happens. I shouldn't be afraid to do that so much.

The other point Is I wanted to try drawing quickly. That's another thing I want to learn. I'm working on a side project, trying to figure out a new art style with no success, that is supposed to be quick and easy. So I'm trying to push myself to learn more skills and draw faster. At least I did that right, this is probably the fastest I've drawn, colored, and shaded anything. ALthough the messy shading makes him look a litte burnt on the front.

Honestly, I don't know what to do with this so submitted as final. Can't say I didn't try.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  10. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Y-You can submit more than one thing in a week. O-Ohhhhh!! That is cool and dangerous to know.

Anyway. I have so. many. aquatic. characters. Judging how the magical girl week went, I bet we'll see a lot of evil mermaids, but I couldn't pass up the chance to draw my psychotic Angler fish-girl. Because. Angler Fish. and Fish-girls. and I have had an urge to draw her again for a while now. She's one of my favourite designs.

It's not necessarily graphic, but there's a cartoony dead fish so I'll tuck it under a spoiler just in case?

[​IMG]

11. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    More than one entry? Music you say? We'll see. I want to submit more than one song this week. I say that. Now if I do. Well then...

Here is a warm up to get my creative juices flowing. It is definitely "interpretive" and a little abstract of the theme. I think it more closely invokes the imagery of drowning (maybe even an emotional drowning) so it is quite a sad song. It's not game music as it definitely has a beginning and an end (and only piano) but I could always make a loop friendly re-work. There is some dissonance and ugliness in it. I've been embracing that in some of my more recent works since my songs tend to come out very "pretty."

https://soundcloud.com/maireadgamemusic/wait-for-the-flood-now-or-never

Now, to work on maybe some bona fied water dungeon, water town, water something GAME music.

12. Jonnie91

Jonnie91 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Okay, so I had time today and thought heck, lets have abit of fun with this. I made the following musical  track: 

[​IMG]

13. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

Paladin-Cleric of Awesome Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So... yeah I'm on a theme thing here...

I decided my Magical Girl Meredith (I totally named her now, and I'm becoming more convinced that she maybe isn't a magical girl at all), needed a companion, and as the theme for this one was under the sea, I gave her an Ocean dwelling companion. (that's supposed to be water he's manipulating.... I'm not sure I got that right.... ah well.)

[​IMG]]

(I promise I will scan it so people can actually see it tomorrow. Need sleep now!)

EDIT: Scanned now for better visual!

I am working on another version of him to replace this one (seeing as I managed to make another Meredith and colour her pretty well in Gimp with my tablet, I figured I'd give him another go too. Will post changed version later though.)

14. numfanklewhat

numfanklewhat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Under the water theme...? Oh man, I'm so tempted to enter this challenge, since it's somewhat related to the project I'm working on, and it doesn't help that last month I made a small game for Ludum Dare with friends with exactly the same under water theme lol. I'll find some time to make an entry for this challenge and good luck for everyone too with this challenge! 

15. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ok, here we go. (added in the finished pic of Meredith as well. So, the start of my little Art Challenge Party, is well on it's way)

[​IMG]

Prince Coral & his Betrothed, Meredith

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  16. Tuxedo Leila

Tuxedo Leila Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The theme this week is awesome! :D

[​IMG]

17. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    @leilaheliday : I FOUND NEMO!

18. Paladin-Cleric of Awesome

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Where's Dori though. I love Dori. lol.

BTW, meant to say earlier, (but got distracted by arty type things), but all the entries so far look good, both this week and last, and I can only hope I one day can be as awesome at art as what I've seen here.

19. Ninja Art

Ninja Art Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    It's been awhile Weekly Art Challenge! Awesome theme this week! Since I have half days this week because of finals and I only have my easier classes left I'll definitely join this one!

20. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

[​IMG]

It took a surprising amount of time to draw just a jelly...  :blink:

Caz, numfanklewhat, sai and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.