Weekly Art Challenge #2

Who do you think wins?

• ximenia - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20770-weekly-art-challenge-2/?p=199036

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Firgof - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20770-weekly-art-challenge-2/?p=199554

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • knock-knock - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20770-weekly-art-challenge-2/?p=199877

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Tiamat5774 - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20770-weekly-art-challenge-2/?p=199896

• Hailren - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20770-weekly-art-challenge-2/?p=200045

• deaddrift - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20770-weekly-art-challenge-2/?p=200120

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Tsutanai - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/20770-weekly-art-challenge-2/?p=200177

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Introduction

Weekly Art Challenge is a recurring event for the Art, Literature and Music forum wherein there is a new challenge for artists every week. The goal of the event is to encourage art and going outside the box by imposing interesting challenges and limitations. After a week, a poll will be up for everyone to vote to select the best entry. The winner with the most votes will receive a pretty little badge for bragging rights.

Also, please be sure to check out the previous challenge's thread.

​
Rules

• A new challenge/theme will be posted up in a new thread every week.
  • Participants are to follow the rules imposed by the challenge/theme. Any questions may be asked. However, I reserve the right to disqualify any entries that I feel do not meet the criterion.
  • A challenge lasts for approximately a week. Deadline for all Weekly Challenges is strictly at 12:00AM, GMT +0, on Monday.
  • On the week after, a poll will be up in the same thread. Only one entry will win. In the case where there are more than one winning entry with equal votes, all winning entries will be rewarded.
  • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, when the winner will be announced.
  • The winner gets to call the theme/challenge for the following week. If the winner does not wish to do so, then I will come up with one.
  • All forms of art are welcome.
  • No need to register. Just start working on your entry right away if you've decided to participate.
  • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.
  • There is absolutely no measurements coming from us on the completion of a piece. Whether a piece is complete for final submission or not, is entirely your own call. So don't be discouraged if you think you can only afford to doodle a couple lines. Anything is fine.
This week's Challenge

A monochromatic illustration of death.
 ​
  • Deadline: 12:00AM (GMT +0) on Monday, December 16th, 2013.
  • Poll for voting will be available from the submission deadline to Saturday, December 21st, 2013.
  • Any questions may be asked here.
  • All forms of art are welcome.
  • Post your entries in this thread. WIPs are encouraged, but please explicitly specify your final submission.

And that is it. Have fun!
 ​

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
well, just wanna make sure, usage of RTP for example to produce something for this is fine?

PS: so it could be music or literature too?

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Sadly, no. It has to be original. And I'm not quite sure how one can compose or write something monochromatic.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I see... well yeah, seeing as how monochrome is meant to only describe graphical art... hahaha...

but mixing text with graphical art is fine?

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Sure thing. Even if it's just a couple of doodles, it's fine. Don't be discouraged to do art without relying on existing stock materials :)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
yeah, I have some ideas in mind...

EDIT: Here's a WIP mock-up, painted with mouse... Gonna draw in pencil and paper the entry I think...

RIP.png

Square_art

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I'm going to participate! Take my word, wait for my little art:)

Kaia

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Gonna make something as well... hopefully I find some time ^^

Square_art

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Work in progress.

Quick sketch (Black pencil + black pastel).

p.s. the name of Challenge contains the word "monochromatic" , does it means only 1 colour can be used or I can use 2 colours as well?

IMG_20131210_215706.png

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I can do this, hopefully grayscale is acceptable.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
From definition, monochrome uses 1 color... but you can use different shades of it (like grayscale, which are basically composed of different shades of (grey? or white? or is it black?)

deaddrift

The Modern Primitiv
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
im thinking they must mean grayscale!

im new here, and i think a good way to introduce myself would be through my art, so ill post get crackin and post something tonight!!!

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
well, we can always have the Christmas themed one on the week of it... XD

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A monochrome image of death and Christmas go hand in hand when you work in retail :D :D :D D: D: D: D:

I have so many ideas rolling around in my head for this; hopefully I can pick one and hammer it out in time.

deaddrift

The Modern Primitiv
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OK!

i got a little carried away!! (i always do hehe heh)

so i have a bunch of WIPS to show, not sure which one will be the one i choose to be the final...

it was fun to work in monochrome, i mostly stuck to grayscale but i also included a couple of true monochromatic versions as well!

please let me know what you think!!  I know the art "style" i chose is unconventional, but hey, we're talking about death so i made em scary...

:)

i included a few attachment files for quick reference, if youd like to see the many more WIPS please check out the SPOILER content!!!

1st takes- larger design

2nd takes - smaller design

More simple face designs

art challenge.jpg

art challenge (10).jpg

art challenge (15).jpg

art challenge (8).jpg

art challenge (9).jpg

art challenge (17).jpg

art challenge (7).jpg

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Really you guys don't realize that this is a weekly thing and it's not the Christmas week yet?

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Not for all. Probably my bad for not making it clear. But this one still counts as experimental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

TFW: You get a text from someone and a long conversation--but you have no idea who this person is and don't wanna be that guy that asks "Who is this by the way?" I have no clue who this person is... but they seem to know me quite well. :rswt
You know, after all these years of using RM I've never played To The Moon. With being busy with life and then after my mom died I was too emotionally fragile to play something that heavy. Has anyone played the Switch version? Is there any big differences between that and the RM version?
Today I finished my Lets Play. Gonna have the videos scheduled for daily uploads now. Woo I finished something ^^
*tries to study Emergence of Bangladesh: Ancient Bengal* Matsyanyayam- When the law of punishment is kept in abeyance... okay what? *searches dictionary* oh! Ok. In abeyance, it gives rise to such disorders as is implied in the proverb of fishes i.e the larger fish swallows a small one- wait fishes eat each other!? Is that like... fishy cannibalism!?...Oh! It's 8:30! Time for dinner! *throws book on floor*
Babbaditch Finster and the Seven-Sided Cube has got to be one of my favorite classic games that didn't exist when I was kid, or ever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vandso