Weekly Art Challenge #9

Discussion in 'Weekly Art Challenge' started by EvilEagles, Feb 18, 2014.

?

Who do you think wins?

1. Julien Brightside - http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-2658-0-83747800-13928

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. NXperience - http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/050/1/8/challenge9_by_nxperience-d775wk4.jpg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neverward - http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t633/Neverward/Rebirth_zps4f0ff7e8.png

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Talo - http://i.imgur.com/YSxr4x7.png

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. numfanklewhat - http://i.imgur.com/lNetfT9.jpg

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Chiara - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22356064/Random/20140222_WKL_LimitedPalette_Vers6_fin_C

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. ryuuga - http://i.imgur.com/DMqf8GJ.png

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Makio-Kuta - http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/054/4/8/weekly_art_chal09_copy_by_makio_kuta-d77

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Chef Boy RD - http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/Whopper_JR/Rose.png

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    My new entry:

[​IMG]

Hand drawn in Pen on White Paper, by me, and scanned with an HP scanner into a Windows PC, Imported in Ai, and edited in Ps.

Colors are taken from first post and layered in shads of grey for different Hues.  Hope this covers everything.

Chef Boy RD, numfanklewhat and Shaz like this.
  2. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I can barely recognize the original colors anymore. But heh. I'll let everyone decide this.

3. numfanklewhat

numfanklewhat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    All these 4 base colors that we have to use.. what the hell man.. :unsure:

Anyway my entry for this week, the happy eggplant family!  :stache: :wub:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
    Chef Boy RD, Archeia, Vexed and 4 others like this.
  4. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't know how I did it, but I actually found some time.

The hardest part was tweaking colours to get a broader value range without straying too far from the base. ^^"

So here's my entry:

[​IMG]

5. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    I love the happy eggplant family.

Nicely done cave Chiara.

6. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Is white allowed?  I guess it's a shade of any color.

7. ryuuga

ryuuga Warper Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    my entry (I hope I'm doing this right):

[​IMG]

8. Talo

Talo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Looks good to me Ryuuga, take it or leave it, but you can add shading like Chiara did too.

9. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Neverward: Very stylized! I love it~

@numfankle: Ahhhh that's so cute~~ Makes me smile so much!

@Chiara: Your environments are so great~ That turned out wonderful :>

----

I extended the palette a little bit so I could work in the details I wanted. O: Even then, One more colour for the background would have been nice but I was already pushing it/kinda really liked how it looked using a colour from the image in the background even if it touched its edges in the picture proper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 colours! A bit higher than 4 u.u but! I pronounce this done.

10. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    That looks pretty neat Makio.

11. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!

I missed commenting on yours somehow, though I meant to :S (it was 130am, that's my only defense) Because I really love how the sun came out in it~

12. numfanklewhat

numfanklewhat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    @makio

Haha thanks! I though it was limited to only 4 colors and shading is restricted, so I guess maybe I will just draw some simple stuff, and there you have that eggplant monster lol :guffaw:

13. Chef Boy RD

Chef Boy RD Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If I may rant for a bit before posting my entry (i'll enclose it within spoiler tags as to not take up too much space):

Julien Brightside: "Castle in the Swamp", I find the concept to be unique, and I'm anxious to know the whole story (is this a troll castle? perhaps an ogre? etc.)  Nice way to use up the negative space.  I know we have limited time, and most of us are busy, but I would like to see you complete this.

Makio-Kuta: Really good way to use your colors effectively (something I can't do).  I think by now I can recognize and isolate your art style in a pile, which says something.

NXperience: I must learn how to do that, use the background effectively and blend it in with my foreground's coloring (the skin in this example).  It is almost a seamless transition from background to foreground using the same colors, and yet I can distinguish between the two.

Neverward: Great way to cleanly use your colors.  I'm going to take note of how to provide separation amongst my colors without as opposed to always trying to work them in unison

Talo: I can see the emotion.  What I like is that there's sex appeal, without the need of revealing attire and what not.  I would like to see that negative space (at the bottom) used up in the future though :)

numfanklewhat: Ha, a light toned entry.  The irony is that you probably used your colors better than I did :) .

Chiara: Grrr, environments in which I cannot do, oh how I envy this ability.  But I think I just learned something in regards to painting/drawing environments from analyzing this though, thanks.

ryuuga: Nice, clean, and simple.  But from now on, I'm going to have to bug you to use a bigger canvas, so I can see more of that art skill of yours at work.

Thanks everyone, I try to learn what I can from everyone's pieces.
    Now, for my entry, I'm going to be honest: I cheated here.  I rushed it (as usual, procrastinated), which forced me to brush it normally.  And then I added a "Color" overlay, with the base palette provided for us.  My entry's qualification shall be judged by you guys:

Normal Coloring

[​IMG]
    Actual Entry

[​IMG]

14. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Alright, time's up. Sorry for the slight delay. The poll is now up and will stay open until Saturday, March 1st.

I'm honestly a bit surprised by the amount of submissions we have this week, considering that this is a pretty tough challenge. You guys all did very well, but I'm particularly fond of Chiara's and Makio's submissions :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  15. EvilEagles

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    [​IMG]

Time for voting is up. Surprisingly this time for Weekly Art Challenge #9, we actually have 2 winners. A big thanks to everyone who participated and to those who voted for the entries. Here's a wrap-up for the poll:

Julien Brightside - 1 vote

NXperience - 0 vote

Neverward - 5 votes

Talo - 1 vote

numfanklewhat - 4 votes

Chiara - 7 votes

ryuuga - 0 vote

Makio-Kuta - 7 votes

Chef Boy RD - 0 vote

And so, the winners of our 8th Weekly Art Challenge are both the talented Chiara, and the fantastic Makio-Kutawho will be receiving this little badge for bragging rights.

[​IMG]

Again, thank you all very much for your attention and participation. And please don't forget to check out our 10th Weekly Challenge over here~

[​IMG]

Vexed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.