Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello,

So let me get right to the point.

Created a game > Web deployment > Received a output folder specially for web browser (www folder) > Test play said folder using index.html in Google Chome (start chrome --allow-file-access-from-files, then located the file using file://C~~~)

Everything works fine.

Zipped the www folder, upload it using FTP. Unzipped. Compared the files with the one on the computer to make sure that everything is there on the webs. It is.

Now... here is the weird problem.

According to Google Chrome's console, I am getting a console-side error called Get error 404. Meaning file not found. The nice thing about the console that it tells you what file it is searching for. In this case, it was trying to get to https://mywebsite.com/rpgmaker/www/img/pictures/Actor0_1.rpgmpv

The weird part is that Actor0_1.rpgmpv is there, but it is named "actor0_1.rpgmpv"

Now... I am not sure why this is happening, because the local test played on my web browser worked perfectly fine. That error never appeared, the pictures loaded fine.

Right now, the temp fixed for me is to rename every file! Renaming files isn't that big of an issue since there are tools for this. But still, I would like to find a better solution.

Please let me know if you guys have any idea of why this is happening?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The weird part is that Actor0_1.rpgmpv is there, but it is named "actor0_1.rpgmpv"
that is not weird, that is windows. And one of Microsoft's more idiotic decisions.

For every operating system other than Windows, ABC.png and abc.png are two different files.
Windows is the only operating system that is "helpful" enough to load the wrong file if there is a capitalisation difference, the only OS where you can't have those two different files in the same folder.

Add to that the fact that Windows also displays filenames with capitalisation even if they are not capitalised, and you can get exactly the file mismatch you got if you move files to a different operating system.

And unfortunately the correct way would be to rename the references, which would be one hell of a work.
You can try to rename the file with FTP-programs here, but that will only work if the references are consistently wrong.

both things will be extremely tedious because you need to get the error messages one after another from the website - it's almost impossible to get the wrong references while on Windows due to that stupid Microsoft override loading the wrong files if they exist.

Queen

RPG Maker MZ Newbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
that is not weird, that is windows. And one of Microsoft's more idiotic decisions.

For every operating system other than Windows, ABC.png and abc.png are two different files.
Windows is the only operating system that is "helpful" enough to load the wrong file if there is a capitalisation difference, the only OS where you can't have those two different files in the same folder.

Add to that the fact that Windows also displays filenames with capitalisation even if they are not capitalised, and you can get exactly the file mismatch you got if you move files to a different operating system.

And unfortunately the correct way would be to rename the references, which would be one hell of a work.
You can try to rename the file with FTP-programs here, but that will only work if the references are consistently wrong.

both things will be extremely tedious because you need to get the error messages one after another from the website - it's almost impossible to get the wrong references while on Windows due to that stupid Microsoft override loading the wrong files if they exist.

I was afraid of that answer. But thank you, regardless. Time for me to get to work :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Bathrooms are not designed for the middle of the night.
Entry #11 - The someone with tentacles is back!

9c3d9c_8e0b34064d294c748927c1d9a3d4e4f7~mv2.png
so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayureen