Weird z-index character name bug

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Support' started by Bors, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Bors

Bors UI/UX Designer Veteran

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Then I start a new game or load a save, the character name (z-Order 2000) is displayed below the message box (z-Order 1000) image... it gets hidden.

When the story progresses and a new scene is loaded, the character name displays properly above the message box and is visible... as it should have been to begin with.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? (project based on the Action-UI, )

2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    That does seem weird but we'd have to replicate it to see.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  3. Kentou

Kentou Admin Veteran

Hi Bors,

did you modify anything about the name display? Also, is the save file you are loading a new one? Old saves might restore an older state of the game objects.

4. Bors

Bors UI/UX Designer Veteran

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Thanks Archeia. I had no idea that sort of doubling was happening. I reduced the message box to 600 and it seems to be working properly now. Is there anything else in the game UI that gets doubled without that it being noted?

I only touched position, font style, and included the match character colour line, nothing else on the code side. The save game behaviour I was aware of and accounted in my test. It's a good thing that despite that the save files are still fairly small.

Speaking of save games, by default they are saved in the game folder, and there's also an option option to save them in the "data" folder, and an option to "store game data in internal storage" (which sounds super mysterious I have no idea what it means in practice). Would it be an easy modification to have them go in their own "saves" sub-folder instead? Not that many of the users that would think to have a look in the game directory suffer my level of ocd....