Welcome to RMW Forums V4!

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Nathanial, Jan 19, 2016.

1. SinのAria

SinのAria The Chaotic One Veteran

First Language:
    C++
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Personally, no source mode is a huge disappointment. As someone who prefers speed, not being able to use source code is just way too slow.

(In most cases, I can type the code version faster than a WYSIWYG editor can keep up.  What takes me maybe 5 minutes to do in markup/source/html/etc. might take me an hour to do in a WYSIWYG editor. Why? Simple: Processing time. When you can type very very fast, typing as source has next to no delay. On a WYSIWYG editor; however, you have to wait for the system to process. And if you need to use the mouse as well as the keyboard, that is more slowdown due to having to move your hand over to the mouse and then back...)

Also, there are some issues with a lack of source mode like certain elements (such as quotes) being difficult to remove.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    petschko likes this.
  2. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Oh I see it now.

'Del' button works as well.

What a complicated process to remove content. ^^

Hmmm... Ctrl + A seems to not work, this is not fun. D:

It's a weird feel, when the whole controls were changed.

3. Nathanial

Nathanial Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

You can still use bbcode @Tsukihime. You just won't be able to preview it, and after you've submitted your post it's gone (and is replaced with a WYSIWYG editable code box). It's unfortunate, but there's nothing I can do about it. This is the way forum authors are pushing their software.

4. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    So let's yell at them. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oh the struggles with the text editor will be fun. ^^

petschko and EternalShadow like this.
  5. Nathanial

First Language:
    English

The editor seems a lot better in this version to me. I've been using it for a year with no issues and have pretty much forgotten about my WYSIWYG and BBcode woes from 3.x.

6. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    If the glitches are gone then it should be fine.

It's hard to say anything now ~ I'll see how it will behave.

I wonder if the two forum-glitching bugs were removed as well. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

7. Nathanial

First Language:
    English

Well it's a complete re-write from the ground up and the old version was years old.

What "forum-glitching bugs" are you talking about?

Yes, I'm sure they're probably gone. It's a re-write from the ground up. In addition, I'm sure there's other bugs that will need to be fixed. That's what's good about finally upgrading though... It's actively developed. New features and fixes are coming several times a month. Unlike the version we were running that had a single security update in the entire year of 2015. 

Not everyone will like the changes at first. Some things I didn't like at first. But I quickly forgot about them, as I'm sure most of you will. Learn to adapt. Write bbcode anyway and keep a backup and process it somewhere else or save your post and edit it later. Not very intuitive vs preview post, I know, but that's the way forum software is moving. BBcode editing in the way a lot of us used it isn't a very popular way of doing things and is sorta being "deprecated", if you will (though support still exists and probably always will, just not in the way it used to).

You'll adjust. There's no going back at this point, and the old version was reaching it's EOL. It was time to upgrade.

8. meowchelle

meowchelle Veteran

I love the new forums! It's really sleek, I think the old forums were a little outdated or clunky. And these desktop notifications are suhweeet. 

If I have to format a huge or important post I never use a browser editor anyway, so that's not a probleeemo for me. Thanks for this!  :thumbsup-right:

9. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    These were (or still are?) some nasty bugs, that could create some mess.

1) Glitching the status updates - comments are not viewable anymore. (it was (or still is) extremely easy to break a status update and it was impossible to recover comments when it was too late.)

2) I call it "HD Mode" Thread Bug - the site's formatting breaks and everything ~ margins are kinda off. (Kinda harder to achieve, but I've figured it out how to cause it (some tricks in a post) (Yes, I was toying with the bugs don't kill me! D: ))

Hmm... so if it is 'remastered' then it should be fine I think. Well, we'll see. ^^

10. Nathanial

First Language:
    English

What do you mean comments on the status updates aren't view-able anymore?

It's not remastered, it's a completely different software. They literally started from nothing and wrote the software from the ground up. So no, bugs in the previous version due to an old code base shouldn't exist anymore.

Time will tell, but I've not run into any issues using the software in the past year... at least with the editor. I have found a ton of bugs and reported them to IPS and they were always fixed in the next release (or the release after the next release). I definitely admit the 3.x series had it's faults and felt considerably more clunky than this version. 

To give some insight, they've released three new updates to the software in January alone. Three or four in December... etc. It has very active development. Often times, when I find a bug that breaks something specific, they do a hot fix on the forum I report the issue on, then release a general update to customers. Usually taken care of within a day. :)

mlogan likes this.
  11. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    When you clicked "View all comments" (or something like this), then instead of showing them, it was eating them leaving emptiness.

Only the 3 recent comments were visible; You couldn't view the previous ones hidden behind the button.

Everybody could pop out, break a comment and nobody was suspecting a thing, unless somebody knew how this bug looked like and what was causing it (like me), so if spotted in time - it was even possible to tell who broke it.

12. Nathanial

First Language:
    English
    Status updates don't even function that way anymore. They're in a format-able threaded view now. So I'm definitely not worried about that...

13. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hmm... That's true, yeah, you're right.

I think the HD one should be fixed as well.

14. Shinma

Shinma Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the new look. Great work!

15. mjshi

mjshi Jack of Most Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Say that you go to new content, then want to view the latest unread comment. Maybe I'm just blind, but what button does that? xD Whatever I click just brings me to the first post of a topic.

edit: aah what happened to my post

http://prntscr.com/9rxmjt

16. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So I think I figured out what's up with the viewing items I started/I posted on. It seems to work fine now for items I posted on or started since the update. But, all previous ones before the update didn't migrate over. I dunno if this is fixable, or if we just need to find all our old started topics and bump them once so we can find them again.

If this is fixable, you may want to do so. Else I see a lot of people creating new threads for project pages as they think they've lost them.

17. Nathanial

First Language:
    English

There's nothing to fix right now. We just have to wait for the system to process previous posts (it's in the background processes but hasn't started yet). 

18. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ah, ok, that makes sense. Wasn't sure if this was part of the things that will be fixed later on as other parts are ran.

Also, aren't you supposed to be sleeping now? :)

19. Nathanial

First Language:
    English

Yes, but then I remembered RE0 is coming out tonight :(

20. felsenstern

felsenstern Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Is there a way to link to a Youtube Video without embedding the video itself?

Not sure what exactly changed here, but I hope it works towards your goals. Good Luck with it and the new template looks great!