Rules Welcome to the 2017 INDIE GAME MAKER CONTEST!

Freank

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
oh, nice contest. I can join with my Platform (WIP) made with MV.

Only games uploaded on itch...? Can I upload it in another website? I usually use only indiexpo...

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Freank No, you cannot submit that game as it was started before the contest start date of Oct. 4.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But, in your thread, you say you've already started it and have screenshots...

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Right. The game has to have not even been started yet. Due to that rule my game doesn't count either, but I'm still using the contest and deadline as a way to motivate myself to finish this little game I've been slowly working on.

DarkCieran

The First Maker
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
To be clear, it has to be a FULL GAME. Correct?

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm interested in this.

ye51d

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Ok! I'm ready to start, good luck to everyone,

-Remember don't be too ambitious, you don't have much time.
-Playtest the game before upload.
-It's already a win if you manage to finish developing a game in a month.

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I bought VX Ace with the Humble Bundle but I'm not sure how to download my DLC?
It appears as in my library on steam but the only option it gives me is to 'Play' which just opens up VX Ace. :\

Stanley

Nobody, Joystrike Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay, Lotudian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SmashArt The DLC's are in your Ace folder in Steam folder. The DLC's should've been automatically downloaded into said folder. To use them, you have to import them via Resource Management in Ace :kaohi:

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Found the import button, but can't seem to find the images anywhere...

Ah, nevermind. Saw the DLC button and was surprised I didn't see it the first time. XD
Thanks for your help!

Stanley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay, Lotudian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SmashArt When you click on Import, you have to browse for your desired images. In my case, using Windows 7 Home, it'd be in Steam, then steamapps then common, then Ace folder then dlc :kaohi:

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Aww, I had some ncie ideas for the 2016 one (except that year there was none) and now I don't have the time to participate.. Also still working on Escalia.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BCj : I feel the same way, as I'm trying to wrap up The Book of Shadows, as I'd still like to release that game this year.

Advice to all participants too: Back up your project daily. I cannot stress this enough. In the 2014 contest my project got corrupted on day 14 of the 30 day contest, and let's just say computer almost met Mr. Hammer. So, run, don't walk, and back up your project today. And every other day. This way you won't be the one on day 29 in tears as you lost your entire project due to a HD failure.

Roden124

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@BCj : I feel the same way, as I'm trying to wrap up The Book of Shadows, as I'd still like to release that game this year.

Advice to all participants too: Back up your project daily. I cannot stress this enough. In the 2014 contest my project got corrupted on day 14 of the 30 day contest, and let's just say computer almost met Mr. Hammer. So, run, don't walk, and back up your project today. And every other day. This way you won't be the one on day 29 in tears as you lost your entire project due to a HD failure.
The freedom to experiment is another good reason to back up your games. You'll always want a spare project to cross-check, because a seemingly mysterious problem can have a bafflingly easy solution. In my case, I disabled a plugin I thought had nothing to do with anything, and that cost me a cosmetic yet necessary mechanic to my game. I thought my project had corrupted, but no, 'twas my own foolishness. If I hadn't realized my silly mistake, the bug would have been impenetrable.

There are no downsides to backups, and there is every downside to no backups. All you have to do is copy and paste, convert to .zip, anything you can think of to give yourself insurance. Remember, you always don't need it until you need it. Since backups cost you nothing and save you everything, you should make it a religious habit!

TakeHomeTheCup

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
To be clear, it has to be a FULL GAME. Correct?
It doesn't have to be a full game. The rules state that: "Judges will only be required to evaluate a game for 1 HOUR if it passes the screening stage. Any game over 1 hour will be judged only on its first hour of gameplay."
Though, I think someone did state that in the past, only full games, that lasted a whole hour, have been the ones that have won a prize.

bhindi1224

NOT Indian Okra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TakeHomeTheCup
One thing I've noticed, and I'm going to throw this out there to hopefully help the contestants, is the past winners (Grand prize and 1st - 3rd place) have all been full, complete, 1 hour games. No proof of concepts or demos of bigger games have ever won or placed in the contest so far.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
QUICK REMINDER VERY IMPORTANT
remember to hydrate everyone, drink water throughout the day and do at least 30 minutes of excercise per day
guaranteed boost to productivity and mood

im not saying that to y'all, im saying that to myself​
And... Save save save save your progress in copies everywhere just in case!

Stanley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay, Lotudian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, nevermind. Saw the DLC button and was surprised I didn't see it the first time. XD
Thanks for your help!
Ah yes that works too. I gave you the tedious method sorrayy ahaa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished up building the last of my furniture! It's so nice to finally have my own place :kaoluv:

Slaving away at more maps. :LZSwink:
Accidentally zoomed the browser in on the forums page, here... and I think I'm going to just leave it. #OldPeopleProblems
Spooktober Spooktacular Game Jam Winners announcements start now! Live on stream! See who won!
so, I've begun the process of restructuring my game's base setup entirely after feeling disheartened with progress and talking to a friend. I think I'm headed in the right direction now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zachmaw