Rules Welcome to the 2017 INDIE GAME MAKER CONTEST!

Discussion in 'Indie Game Maker (IGMC 2017)' started by Archeia, Oct 5, 2017.

1. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @TakeHomeTheCup : Right. While it doesn't have to be a full game, I've just noticed that in the past that is pretty much what wins. And if you think about it, trying to judge a long game on 1 hour is near impossible. Imagine trying to judge FFXIII on the first hour if you are playing it for the first time. It's near impossible to do so and do that well, and figure out how that compares to a full one hour game that you know how it goes.

And for the record, here were the winners in 2014. Most of them are in the humble bundle. I think Goats on a Bridge might have been proof of concept stage at that point in time, but that was it: http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/announcements/indie-game-making-contest-2014-winners/

And the 2015 winners: https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/19711/

I do think a few proof of concepts or smaller demos did win best engine in 2015, but for a couple of engines the number of choices were very limited.

Still, this might help you to see what has won in the past.

Stoic and Marquise* like this.
  2. TakeHomeTheCup

TakeHomeTheCup Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The Grand Prize winner for 2014 used RTP. Well, that gives me hope.

bgillisp and Stanley like this.
  3. Rpg Guy

Rpg Guy Complex Eventer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is it against the rules to port over a mini-game from one of my other projects to the game I make for this contest?

I have a very fun but insanely complex card game that I evented the week that MV came out, I'd love to include the mini-game in my submission but I want to be sure the rules allow that first?

To be clear my submission is it's own game that I just started today, I just wanted to port my fun mini-game into it.

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm not in charge but I don't think that would be allowed.

5. Rpg Guy

Rpg Guy Complex Eventer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright, thanks.

6. Milk Bar Prophet

Milk Bar Prophet MBP

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Marquise* @Saboera That rule of your law is outrageous. At first I thought Sharm was being ironic there. I wonder what was the government thinking. Talk about stifling the citizens' freedom & creativity :/

I still think you guys should participate. You are game devs after all and you should do it for yourselves first and foremost, to get better, hone your skills etc. Do your best, and then... just keep crossing your fingers you won't win any prize ;)

@Degica @Jury Is it possible to write a short annotation to the rules so the Quebecers could participate? Their 'contest law' is savage, let's give them some option, like giving their prize money to charity as Saboera said. We might miss on some cool games here.

I beg to differ. Placing tiles is the only exercise you need ;P

Good luck folks!

Saboera, Marquise* and Stanley like this.
  7. Stanley

Stanley Hero of the Untold Prophecy

First Language:
    Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes! Do what makes you happy :p

Now I remember

Milk Bar Prophet likes this.
  8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Milk Bar Prophet I liked your comment but in my case sincerely, with last years, my health (mental one), some personal traumas and my zootherapist cat nurse (Daughter Cat) turning old and ill, I prefer to be well enough grounded, be able to feature my own assets but to do one set of them for a game that last a month in the making I'd bust he time if I start from scratch. I need more calm and peace of mind for the IGMC and I am sorry. Because, of course, I took on the Inktober challenge and some parts of what I do to recuperate and make money takes a lot of time. But I LOVE reading from you guys and try to understand some notions to grasp as to make a game fast and that it keeps its quality and stays interesting! :D I prefer participate when I will have way more mastery and peace of mind and soul if not security.

9. SmashArt

SmashArt Lazy Artist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Stanley Thanks for the help! :D
    --------
    On another note, does anyone else think it would be interesting for the judges to livestream while they're playing the entries?
    This would be a great way to see everyone's entry as well as, even if you don't win, give some feedback to the creators, so they know what they can change or add next time. :)

Just a thought, tell me what you guys think!

Frogboy and Stanley like this.
  10. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply The Barbarian

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SmashArt that actually would be cool or at least a YouTube video. But with the amount of entries I doubt they'll have time for any of that.

11. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Live stream might make the judge biased. I'd rather have them record and release some videos after the contest is over!

Milk Bar Prophet and Marquise* like this.
  12. watermark

watermark Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well in 2015 we had a guy called Artificer (who wasn't a judge) who did videos on all the entries. Wonder if anyone will attempt that this year.

13. Zabu

Zabu Prince of light

First Language:
    Français
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Participate the last time, but can't this year!
    So bad wanted to show you how i upgraded my skills!

14. Milk Bar Prophet

Milk Bar Prophet MBP

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Marquise* No need to be sorry mate. You've been super creative lately then, well done for doing the Inktober challenge! I can understand the need for rest after that. Sorry to hear about you health troubles. Take a good care of yourself,hopefully you'll get better soon.. and my best wishes to your DC. The brighter days might be around the corner, you know (they just like to play hide & seek sometimes).

I have some spare time on my hands and would like to participate in the contest but similarly have little clue as to how make a game of decent quality fast (and I'd like to go full-custom assets too). I still feel like a RPG Maker greenie. I guess I better make up my mind quickly, time flies!

Marquise* likes this.
  15. Aude

Aude Warper

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I have some Questions! Can we use any kinds of ressources? Even music that already exist? If we put the credits?

Marquise* likes this.
  16. NectherLouieSouribio

NectherLouieSouribio Hobby Game Developer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Aude the answer is yes you can as long as you own the rights to it.

1. You must have the right to use all software, resources, and tools involved in the creation of the game. Please make sure to accredit resource creators in a text file included with your game.
    That's what the rules say.

A quick question to anyone who has joined this before. How do they check when the game was started? Is it by honesty? I assume? Not that ill do it but just to clarify. Im want to try a mechanic rather than make a whole game to see if it works.

Marquise* likes this.
  17. watermark

watermark Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly the only thing they can do is to perhaps check the file creation times of your projects, which can be fudged with if you really wanna. So if you really port in some mini game you did earlier there is no way the judges can find out from a technical perspective.

The other thing judges can do is find evidence that parts of your game were created beforehand and/or stolen from someone else. You say that there's no way judges have time to do that?
    No, no, see my friend, they don't need to do that. Because after contest starts there will appear these creatures known as:

The IGMC Vigilante!!!

Basically people or other contestants who will go to great lengths to expose you. Then they report you to the judges and the judges will have no choice but to shut you down. Don't think they're scary? Well during the last one they roasted a magic chicken, cleared Area 52, and booed out a guy with too many well-intentioned friends, among other things. Yeah, it was vicious in 2015.

Ok, say even if you manage to dodge them too. In the end it all comes down to your personal integrity. Only you really know whether you cheated.

So I say don't cheat cause even if you win you'll feel hollow. Why do that? Let's keep it clean, folks! :kaojoy:

18. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Milk Bar Prophet ^^ TYVM. BTW, enter the contest; it is very friendly. Win or not everyone likes to see and play what others do, plus it gives some sense of accomplishment once done!

@Everyone , take great good care and save your games on multiple supports now just in case as friendly reminder. Good luck to all, I do hope to see and play your work soon. One day I will be ready for anything every month. ^^

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  19. kankanbow

kankanbow Villager

First Language:
    chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If i draw custom characters portrait for this contest, can i use these characters in my future games as well? same universe.

oh yea, can i take my game to join in another game jam? Just start making a short game for mecha jam last weekend then saw this today.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  20. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just keep in mind that if someone enters say a full length 60 hour RPG that was supposedly made in a month, someone is going to call you out on it. If Square Enix can't do it, you can't either.

But yes, the 2015 contest was way too vicious in my opinion. I'm honestly glad I didn't enter that one, as it is there was ballet stuffing (illegal in all countries BTW), many would attack your reviews if you didn't praise the glory of the game or dared to not give it at least a 75% or higher on whatever system you used (I used a system where 50 out of 100 is average, and that really irked some people), and there were many accusations on the forums of there is no way you made that in a month. And that is just what I saw in the comments on the old gamedevfort site where it was hosted!

@Aude : Just remember you have to have legal rights to use the music. So if has to be one you made, or from a DLC that can be legally used in RPGMaker, or one you have permission to use (like say the resource forum on here). Using music without permission is a copywrite violation, which can result in legal action against you. And before someone says fair use, fair use ONLY covers using it for review purposes (say to make a video review of the game) or educational purposes (say to teach a class on music theory), of which entering a contest is neither.

Marquise* likes this.