• Poll closed .

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

SYNOPSIS

Weorrtorn (previously known as Horizon) is an attempt at converting a Dungeons and Dragons campaign that I authored into an old-school RPG inspired by games like Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle, Lufia, and Super Mario RPG.

Combat will take place in a CTB system, complete with timed attack sequences, combo-based spellcasting, battle formations, and unique skill mechanics for each of the characters. I have eschewed traditional equipment upgrades in favour of runes based on the settings' pantheon that when equipped provide proc-based and passive effects to the wielder.

The story revolves around seven main characters on a continent embroiled in war. The forces of the Imperium Aeternum have brought warships and soldiers from across the ocean to mount an assault on the land of Athlans. The nation of Tyr has lost two cities to the invaders and a third is being marched upon, with no chance of resistance in sight. Refugees flee to the Ælven lands while the able-bodied prepare for the siege. The Cyricene Knights, a religious military order tasked with defending the land and keeping the peace, have shown themselves to be hesitant to engage.

The story opens on an ex-Cyricene knight, from the nation of Einland, as he lends his shield to the defence of the city...

CHARACTERS

Vilhelm, the Exiled Knight

A brave and steadfast Cyricene Knight, until he defied orders, was stripped of his rank, and exiled from the order. He now lives a nomadic life looking to right the wrongs he encounters in the world. He is the moral compass of the group.

----------Gameplay----------
From a gameplay perspective he is intended to be the most straightforward and easy to grasp character, filling the standard knight or paladin trope.

----------Archetypes----------
The player can choose between the following three stat archetypes at each level up:

----------Skills----------
Vanquish
Vilhelm's basic sword slash.
Upgrading this skill empowers it to buff allies' Power and Spirit stats,
with a chance of unleashing more devastating attacks.

Villain Braver
Villain Braver deals critical damage if the timed input is entered correctly.
The attack damage scales based on how much more HP the enemy has than Vilhelm, and can be upgraded to increase damage as well as debuff Power and Armor.

Vanguard
Vanguard is a basic guard skill that grants a small amount of health upon use.
While active, for one round, Vilhelm will deflect the next magical attack used against him.
Upgrading this skill empowers it to buff allies' Armor and Resistance,
and grants Vilhelm MP on a successful spell deflect.

Granite Shield
Granite Shield grants Vilhelm an HP buffer, preventing further damage.

Mǽlhafoc, the Ælven Ranger
Maelhafoc Face.png
An adventurous scout afflicted with wanderlust, he never backs down from a challenge.

----------Gameplay----------
From a gameplay perspective he is intended to be a guerilla fighter and beastmaster, with the ability to expose enemy weaknesses and protect the party from the elements.

----------Archetypes----------
The player can choose between the following three stat archetypes at each level up:

----------Skills----------
Spear
Mǽlhafoc's basic spear attack.
Upgrading this skill allows Mǽlhafoc's raven Nægel and hound Fæng to enter the fray,
debuffing the target's Technique and Agility while also counterattacking those that strike Mǽlhafoc.

Serpent Strike
Serpent Strike inflicts Poison and can double attack if the timed input is entered correctly.
The attack can be upgraded to also inflict Slow and eventually Doom.

Remaining Roster Sneak Peak

Note: Reference pics stitched together from https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/cardsagaswars/

SCREENSHOTS
Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

Screenshot 4.png

Screenshot 3.png

Screenshot 5.png

OTHER GAME MECHANICS
Combination Casting
Ability Points (AP) are gained from the use of magic, unlocking new, and eventually, combination-based magic. Below are previews of the combinations made when the starting self-target spells start getting merged into the ultimate form spells. Each of these consists of:

(1) A self buff that is applied to whichever caster initiated the spell.
(2) An aura affect that is applied to all allies, or all enemies.
(3) An unlocked followup spell, that will end the effects of (1) and (2) prematurely upon cast.

---Showcased Spells---
Granite Shield +
Mana Spark =
Warforged
Warforged coats the user in liquid metal, granting the user Ironclad, which is a state of immunity to damage over time effects, negative conditions affecting health gains, and critical hits.
Allies are surrounded by a Blade Barrier aura, which reflects a portion of damage back upon attackers and causes the Bleed condition.

Hexblade is unlocked for the user, which will summon 6 blades to strike and Hex the enemy. Hex causes the next 6 instances of damage against that enemy to be increased by 66%. Hexblade ends the effects of both Ironclad and Blade Barrier.

Mana Spark +
Tailwind =
Phoenix
Phoenix engulfs the user in flames, granting the user Trial by Fire, which burns the user's HP each round by ever increasing percentages. In exchange, the user is granted a damage amplification effect based on the number of rounds the effect is endured. If the user is slain, either by an enemy or the Trial by Fire damage, they will by resurrected from the ashes.
Enemies are damaged by an Immolation aura, which applies a stack of the Burn state each round.

Blaze of Glory is unlocked for the user, which will sacrifice all remaining HP for an explosive finisher. The damage scales with the amount of HP the user sacrifices, the amplification effect of Trial by Fire, and the number of stacks of Burn on the enemy. The resurrection effect of Trial by Fire is also triggered. Blaze of Glory ends the effects of both Trial by Fire and Immolation.

Tailwind +
Deluge =
Eye of the Storm
Eye of the Storm wreathes the user in crackling electricity, granting the user Gathering Storm, which causes additional damage every third hit.
Allies are granted Storm Surge, which reapplies Haste each round.

Perfect Storm is unlocked for the user, which inflicts five instances of damage on all enemies when cast. Each individual lightning strike contributes to the Gathering Storm counter. Perfect Storm ends the effects of both Gathering Storm and Storm Surge.

Deluge +
Granite Shield =
Adamantine
Adamantine transforms the user's skin into diamond, granting the user Diamond Mantle, which reflects spells cast upon the user back to enemies.
Allies are granted Diamond Dust, which reduces magical damage taken by 20%, storing the damage reduced into a pool of magical energy for the user.

Diamond Ring is unlocked for the user, which strikes enemies around the primary target of the spell first, before crashing into the primary target. The damage scales with the amount damage reduced and stored by Diamond Dust. Diamond Ring ends the effects of both Diamond Mantle and Diamond Dust.

The Pantheon and Runes
Each of the gods of the setting's pantheon have dominion over an aspect of the universe. There are three primary gods, referred to as "The Triad" and nine demigods simply referred to as "The Nine".

The members of The Triad and their respective domains are:
Cyric, the Allfather of Creation
and his two primary creations
Sunova, the goddess of Life
Nostromos
, the god of Death

The Nine were beings who attained varying degrees of demigodhood and were granted (or claimed) domains of their own:

The Fundamental Domains
The 1st, Melchior, The Guide, dominion over Space
The 2nd, Regana, The Wise, dominion over Magic
The 3rd, Era, The Keeper, dominion over Time

The Principle Domains
The 4th, Hector, The Justiciar, dominion over Law
The 5th, Demitar, The Warden, dominion over Balance
The 6th, Felgrim, The Deceiver, dominion over Chaos

The Inevitable Domains
The 7th, Graethe, The Scoundrel, dominion over Luck
The 8th, Tytan, The Destroyer, dominion over Calamity
The 9th, Sarashida, The Prophet, dominion over Fate

Runes are equippable items that grant a variety of powerful effects to the user based on these domains.

---Showcased Runes---
Space

Grants the passive ability Warp.
The user will avoid the next instance of damage while warping space around themselves and the enemy, causing four instances of damage in the process.
Warp will be placed on a 5 round cooldown after activating.

Time

Grants the passive ability Chrono Break.
The user will have a 12% chance after finishing their turn of accelerating time, allowing them to act again.

Luck

Grants the passive abilities Fortune & Glory.
The user will have a 7% chance at the start of battle of activating Fortune, which will cause the next 7 actions to be guaranteed critical hits.
The user will have a 7% chance at the start of every turn of activating Glory, which will cause the next single action to be a guaranteed critical hit.
These critical hits deal 77% additional damage.

Fate

Grants the passive ability Premonition.
The user will act first in every encounter.
The user will also be forewarned and protected of their death, resurrecting with 25% HP if slain.
Premonition will be placed on a 9 round cooldown after activating.

Battle Formations (WIP...)
Depending on the upgrade paths and archetypes chosen by the player when leveling up characters, the player should be able to tailor the roles each character fills to a certain degree. Battle formations, besides being a visual novelty, are intended to apply additional passive benefits, depending on the row (and thus corresponding role) the character is slotted in.

Characters in the front row are assigned the Guardian role which is intended to empower their defensive and healing abilities.
Characters in the middle row are assigned the Assault role, which is intended to empower their physical offense.
Characters in the back row are assigned the Mage role, which is intended to empower their magical offense.

The intention is to also link certain positions within each battle formation for further effects, such as the Rampart formation linking the two Guardians together and providing them a measure of protection against skills with the Guardbreaker effect.

DEMO RECRUITMENT
Please refer to my post at https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/horizon.87355/

Last edited:

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Updated the Combination Casting and Battle Formations (WIP) sections.

phamtruong1992

Mage Art - Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looking good. Keep it up my dude.

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Updated the Pantheon and Runes section.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Those animations/action sequences are pretty sweet!

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
A couple updates to share...

I've spent the last week making updates to animations based on the RTFX Generator pack (https://videohive.net/item/rtfx-generator-440-fx-pack/19563523?ref=RTFX). 35+ animations redone (and counting). Here's a sample of the new Phoenix spell:

I've also implemented SumRndmDde's Skill Extender plugin (http://sumrndm.site/skill-extender/#more-1130) to nest Genevieve's Alchemy and Evelynn's Zodiac skills under their appropriate categories (this allows me to be more clear that only one Envenom and Arcanum can be active at a time, and that Zodiac's within a group share a cooldown).

I've also been working with Moghunter's ChronoEngine (https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rmv-chrono-engine/) to incorporate a character-specific tool for each of the party members. More details to come...

Last edited:

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game looks pretty polished. Well done! Cool action sequences.

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Last edited:

Jayje

THE Lone Indie Cheese!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I like the use of the spell combining in this. Would be cool to see this in action.

liviticus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey,

Those are some great action sequences, keep up the good work!

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've been working on a new title screen and have decided it's time to announce the new name of the game, Weorrtorn!

Level design is in progress for the demo and I'll have some screenshots up as they come available. Also working on updating animation sequences for the second character that is receiving a battle spritesheet update, courtesy of @Alvonso!

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Impressive work !

I like all the features you introduced !

Guld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fantastic looking character sprites

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks everyone!

Character busts are now in the works, can’t wait to post them up!

Kalil

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Villhelm, your game looks great!

If you don't mind me asking, what editor did you utilize to remodel the Card Sagas Wars sprites? (Genius btw)

Villhelm

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks Kalil!

The first two are commissioned OCs. The reference pics for the other four were my first foray into pixel art so I just used paint.net.

Each one is a composite of 4-8 Card Saga Wars sprites. I cropped pieces from each, putting them on their own layers, and then took other sprites’ colour pallettes and went pixel by pixel to recolour them consistently. I put some custom work in here and there where I couldn’t find reference pieces.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Have you appreciated a Hedgehog today?

Storybook Hero demo has been well received so far. Yay! We are developing it steadily albeit slowly <_<. We will get there one day o_O.
TFW: You get a text from someone and a long conversation--but you have no idea who this person is and don't wanna be that guy that asks "Who is this by the way?" I have no clue who this person is... but they seem to know me quite well. :rswt
You know, after all these years of using RM I've never played To The Moon. With being busy with life and then after my mom died I was too emotionally fragile to play something that heavy. Has anyone played the Switch version? Is there any big differences between that and the RM version?
Today I finished my Lets Play. Gonna have the videos scheduled for daily uploads now. Woo I finished something ^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arcannis