RetroActive

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would love to add more options for my building, what are the essential add-ons I should get from the Steam Store? I am working on a Dragon Warrior/Quest type games.

RetroActive

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If I was to just get one what should I get to start?

1632146748826.png

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look at them and see what you want to use? Your question is kind of like asking someone else to design your game for you...you know what maps you're going to make. Look at the pictures, see what you like and will use in multiple maps, decide if it's worth the money.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RetroActive - great question because the screenshots they offer don't do the sets justice!

Town of Beginnings might be a great start since you are looking to have more options for buildings. I'm guessing you'll want a lot of towns since you are doing a DW/DQ style game. I can't remember if I got the Castle and Town set yet but you get a lot in that pack.

By the way, I'm a huge DQ and FF fan so am curious what you come up with down the road. Good luck and happy game making!

RetroActive

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I feel dumb, I purchased the Town of Beginnings, Steam says it is now in my library but I have no idea how to access it ha ha.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
newly bought and installed content for RPG Maker will not show up in your project folder automatically.

For Steam, you are likely looking for this file direction:

*Main drive (likely C :)*\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker MZ\dlc

Last edited:

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After you copy the actual image files to your project folder, you need to set up the tileset with its passability and such.

The easiest way to do this is to open up the demo project in the FSM folder and just copy the entire tileset into your own database. If the correct files are there, it will automatically select them and copy the passability settings from the demo project.

RetroActive

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Wow, that is backwards. Have they seen how every other program installs DLC?

RetroActive

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If I start a new project would the DLC automatically be in there?
newly bought and installed content for RPG Maker will not show up in your project folder automatically.

For Steam, you are likely looking for this file direction:

*Main drive (likely C :*\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker MZ\dlc

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan (More than ever)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RetroActive
No. You'll have to put the resources you need in your project by yourself.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To add to what @ScorchedGround said, having all of your purchased assets show up in new projects can be problematic as they'd take up too much space as you accrue more. Having that blank slate is nice because you can just add in what you want.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, that is backwards. Have they seen how every other program installs DLC?
This is not a game you're playing, where you would want all of your content every time.

Any content you have in your game project has to be downloaded and stored by the user in the event you publish a game - a big part of finalizing an RPG Maker project is weeding out all unused files. Starting off with everything you've ever bought regardless of whether you'll want to use it in this given project would be counter-productive.

Try to learn and understand how the program and its structures work before making judgment calls.

AeroPergold

RPG Maker Nutcase
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
...a big part of finalizing an RPG Maker project is weeding out all unused files...
Sometimes I leave a small amount of unused stuff because someday one of my (or your) games might end up on The Cutting Room Floor's website and a bit of unused stuff gives them something to discuss especially in regards to what ideas or mechanics could've been if they haven't been cut.

I highly recommend checking that place out for all sorts of unused this or beta that in games.

Also to @RetroActive I agree with limiting how much DLC assets you have due to space constraints. Personally I don't have a lot of purchased assets but I see where ATT_Turan is going with it. Also once you have the assets try playing around with them and see what you get. Sometimes I boot up RPG Maker not to do anything but experiment or try new ideas or plugins or assets and what have you.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

One uncomfortable truth that has withstood the test of time, is how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.
anyone know of a place I can promote my game? sorta like game awards but for indie devs, like a place where I can drop a trailer and like stir up some hype
Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

That moment when you came up with a very good game title, but when you searched it, it has already been used... T.T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smitty