What Age You Would Choose For your Characters on Your Maker Game?

What Age You would Choose For Your Characters on Your Maker Game?

• Total voters

Leokids

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I Had to make a Poll for this.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess either late teenager (18-19), or young adults. I find character design much more important than character age.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mine is kinda a mix, but the main hero is a humanoid kid specially designed by an army
to fight evil, unless they destroyed all except 1.

that one is being repaired by another young girl mechanic and his father, and fight
the evil that destroyed them compleetly to see if they have a chance to destroy him
before it's to late, but will he will survive? or will he failed? or is it something else?

but I got a nice ending in mind, so it can be suprisely different what they think it would
happen, which is not always the case :)

the story is interesting, but to build it out in hte game is quite a challenge though :)

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to choose all ages because the characters do not should to band together by choice, but by a situation. So everyone has to grow up quickly.

Can the main protagonists just save themselves from the natural disaster and being lives? I guess it is not heroes enough to not die.

Last edited:

MessiahComplex

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I find myself preferring older teens or adults these days. Something about children being the ones to save the world just becomes harder and harder to believe as you grow older. The main characters in my game are all in their 20's (or their race's developmental equivalent anyway).

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depends what we're going for. I've had people of all ages save the world.
In my current game, it's teens and kids, but in another game, it's adults, because that's what fits the story. Doesn't really work to have a coming of age story with adults. You should've already come of age if you're 35.

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It really depends on the setting really. Most rpgs use teenagers to young adults, but certain games/media do involve kids thrown into the real world like Avatar The Last Airbender.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Adult, definetly adult. I'm tired of stories about overpowered kids and teenagers. Especialy if main protagonist is woman. The only exception - even after so many years - I can make are main protagonists
from The Slayers, Lina Inverse and Sailor Moon (Yes, I sometimes watch random episode before I go to sleep).

PS To my exception list I would also add Louise de La Vallière from Zero No Tsukaima. But that's all.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
19 to 24. Young enough to be fit and active, but old enough to have some wisdom and life experience

Psyche Radio

PsyRad
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's kinda a mix.
Most mains are in the 20-30 age range, but a main character is a toddler, and there are some middle aged ppl and grans too.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mostly late teens to young adults.
I do have a mid-teen character who would be the main character in RPG but she wouldn't be doing an epic thing like saving the world. That is the job for adults.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I only write adult characters. No exceptions.

i have nothing against kids; I just hate how the internet/modern pop culture treat child & teenage characters (usually girls, but boys have been getting similar treatment in recent years) in visual mediums like film and video games.

Last edited:

maliyana

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
20-40something, but the protagonist is like Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile. She only looks 20ish but is ancient.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im a little bit tired of teenager heroes without parents... the last Airbender and Maze Runner Series (novels) are the only franchices with kids that I like
I agree, I like these also; but, I would add Naruto to this list. Not a big fan of teen anime, but Naruto is my guilty pleasure.

I guess either late teenager (18-19), or young adults. I find character design much more important than character age.
I agree with this, except I find it difficult to accept an adolescent as the hero sometimes because of my background in brain development and psychology. I find it difficult to accept certain character designs put onto an adolescent.

I prefer adult characters because, especially an adult protagonist, because adults usually are who they are by their early to mid twenties. I like to see a character whose world view and belief system is challenged by the events of the story. Many times, it's difficult for me to accept that an adolescent's belief system is so solid that they would struggle very much with world-changing events happening around them. Not in the sense that it would be a struggle, or be difficult to handle, because of course it would be; but, more in the sense that they are more likely to adapt to these difficult changes without their entire belief system being challenged.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Adults, but mostly just over the drinking age. I like having them be around the early twenties, inexperience about adulthood but still capable. I think my oldest player characters for future games are in their early thirties at best.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Always young adults or adults. I am tired of all the teenage protags in anime, and can write young adults or adults easier since I am in that age range.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It varies for me, while my main characters often (but not always) tend to be 15-16, 14 at the youngest, they usually have older guardians.

One such concept I often play with (theoretically) usually has a teen girl with strong magical powers but lacks combat experience and is physical weak (i.e. a priestess). This concept of a 'vulnerable' lead would then be tied into the story/gameplay.
i.e. monsters would always target her by default (game over if she falls) due to being such an easy target radiating tasty magical essence. This makes it the job of the older more experienced party members (knights) to balance attacking and protecting (via taunt skills) while she supports them with buffs, heals and crippling ailements.
So that is to say its the older characters who actually fight while the younger character has the role of support, who in turn needs to be kept alive at all costs by said older characters.

Then some of my other concepts usually involve characters who tend to 'look' like teens to young adults but are actually several thousand year old demons/vampires/demi-gods/swords in human form/whatever strange idea I have at that moment in time. So, I wouldn't know which box to tick.

RayGarden7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I Had to make a Poll for this.
Sounds like a great question It depends on the genre you plan on making I think. Personally I prefer teenager to young adult when writing my game.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An adult my age so I can create the fantasy for an audience that feels like they've failed life up to this point and find an escape to immerse themselves in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Part of me is really missin' the good 'ol days of RM '95... goodness just seems like such simpler times
Just got two Switch E-Shop 20$ gift cards... Is 3D All-Stars worth it? Or should I get something like Celeste? I'd love to know your opinion!
I’m looking at the MZ full body images and I think Priscilla is taller than Reid...
Ami
--- Music Selection ---

M.Archer: It's Music Station,You can Change the Music as you like.
F.Healer: i want to hear the Romantic Music.
M.Fighter: Then,i want the Hard-Rock one!
(the Troll Song has played)
M.Archer: Hey,i hear this Music.
F.Healer: It's popular from Internet Music,i wonder who change it?
Hero: I change it.
Entire Party: YOU????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galm