What Age You Would Choose For your Characters on Your Maker Game?

What Age You would Choose For Your Characters on Your Maker Game?

• Total voters

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I couldn't vote, because I've used all of them. :aswt:
I believe the youngest character of mine is 10 and the oldest (not counting immortal/undead beings) is in their thirties.

I think there's definitely RPG stories you can tell with kids and teens. (I mean I assume there's more than one type of plot for RPGs, but maybe I'm wrong since everyone's so caught up on the "saving the world" plot. :kaoswt2:)
That said I primarily make non-RPGs, so it's easier to get away with kids as the leads. I haven't had any player complain at least.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
but maybe I'm wrong since everyone's so caught up on the "saving the world" plot. :kaoswt2:
I have to agree with that. The main point I've seen here against kids and teens is that its not realistic for them to save the world compared to more experienced adults.

But let's be honest, its not realistic for a small group of 4-8 adults to single-handedly save the world either. What, is everyone else just quaking in their boots as the big bad threatens the whole world?

For example my current story I'm theory crafting is about a princess who upon turning 16 and as part of a family tradition, was locked in at the top of a magic tower where she must await her 'prince-charming' to rescue her.

But with a year passed said 'Prince-charming' never came, now bored to death of waiting she decides to make her own decent. In light of her new found determination (albeit fuelled by sheer boredom) she is blessed by the tower itself with the 'sword of bonds', said to guide destined partners together.

Ultimately this idea has nothing to do with saving the world but about finding your true love, who may turn out to also be trapped at the 'top' of this dimensionally warped tower which you yourself are descending... and no its not meant to make sense, or is it, nah.

So ultimately as this is meant to be a twist on the 'princess in a tower' and 'true love' kind of stories, it makes sense for my MC to be 17-18.

I would maybe have chosen a younger age to put emphasis on 'innocence' and 'purity', but as marriage is involved in said 'ritual' it kind of caps it at 16; i.e. the age of consent. That and the story requires her to have been there for at least a year so that she gives up on waiting like a 'good girl'. But then again with the societal isolation her mental maturity would likely still be capped at 16, that and its a magic tower, so who knows, I don't.

So long story short, there's a lot to consider when it comes to choosing a character's age. And if the only reason for your choice is 'its not realistic for kids to save the world', maybe its your story which needs some more thought. Because in my opinion, a specific group of adults randomly saving the world isn't much better.
-maybe I missed something, but why was Cloud's group (mostly all young-mid adults) the only people who ever cared about stopping Sephiroth from destroying the world?

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I start at young adult so there's room for character dev.

Thefirelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Teenagers at 16-17 for the protagonists, 20 - 29 for minor characters in the story, but it might not be a rule.

Leokids

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Sorry for BUMP,But someone can Vote again?

Sheklon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry for BUMP,But someone can Vote again?
If you regret your vote, just click "Change Vote". I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

As for me, I try to write main characters of around the same age as me (say, 18-24). I usually cringe when I see people writing characters much older than they are (mostly if it's a kid or teenager trying to write an adult or wise elder), so I try to avoid doing that myself.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, I am so sick of teenage protagonists...it was cool when I was still a teenager, but I just hit 30 this year. I feel like I'm going thru a "third-life crisis" lol. To answer the question, I prefer my heroes to be age ~21-27yo. Playing a 16yo or any kind of high-schooler is a turn-off for me especially if said hero ends up extremely powerful. What I mean is, a 16yo is still growing/maturing! There's no way they reach their full potential that early. Even if they're some kind of prodigy, the same character in their mid-20s would be far more powerful imo. Then there's the game's where a teenager defeats a God or God-like entity...:kaoangry:

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I start at young adult so there's room for character dev.
Or write story so continuation will focus on another character, for example son/daughter of prev hero

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Leokids, my dude. I hate to say it, but you seem weirdly obsessed about this thread as of late. Especially about pushing your idea of kids as the main characters. It's not like a kid cast can't or won't work; there's plenty of cartoons aimed at them with characters of that age. But it comes off as kinda weird to me.

Maybe I'm reading things between the lines that don't exist? But given the obsession another user had months back about his fandom, I'm still questioning your motives.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Usually I chose to have my characters be adult. Normally young adults in thieor 20s or early 30s. But I have been known to use whichever fits the story I'm trying to tell.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My current game's protagonists are all 2-3 years old!

A classic coming of age tale. They're growing up, moving out, getting their first jobs, experimenting with magic mushrooms... finding mates, building nests, eating each other... (I did mention they're dinosaurs?)

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
I like to take the opportunity to make the kind of game I want to play. I'm fine with Teenager characters when coupled with a school setting, like Persona, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, or Trails of Cold Steel.

But otherwise I want to see more games with older and experienced characters. There's a different set of themes you can work with Adult characters that's harder to pull off with Teenagers, even for adults in their early-mid twenties.

As already stated in this thread though. A small group of Adults saving the world is barely more 'realistic' than a group of Teens saving the world. I do think a group of Adults would more 'realistically' face the challenges of the weight of saving the world on their shoulders better though, but that's my bias of finding teamwork to be non-existent in High School outside of some sports.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My current game's protagonists are all 2-3 years old!

A classic coming of age tale. They're growing up, moving out, getting their first jobs, experimenting with magic mushrooms... finding mates, building nests, eating each other... (I did mention they're dinosaurs?)
Just wanted to mention, a 10-15 years-old T-Rex would still be considered an "adolescent". I'm sure some species grow really fast, like the 2-3 years old mentioned (usually smaller species), but the bigger ones definitely take several years to mature. T-Rexes just happen to have a similar growth cycle as a Human (adult is ~18 years old), except they'll keep growing in size as adults. A T-Rex also has 21 distinct stages of growth! I <3 dinosaurs lol.
Edit: for those too lazy to read the article...
1606532481607.png

Last edited:

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Varied. Youngest being someone not even born yet, oldest being older than time itself/ageless. And a variety of ages in between.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just wanted to mention, a 10-15 years-old T-Rex would still be considered an "adolescent". I'm sure some species grow really fast, like the 2-3 years old mentioned (usually smaller species), but the bigger ones definitely take several years to mature. T-Rexes just happen to have a similar growth cycle as a Human (adult is ~18 years old), except they'll keep growing in size as adults. A T-Rex also has 21 distinct stages of growth! I <3 dinosaurs lol.

But these are only wee Raptors, of the feathered, turkey-sized variety (which may have only lived 10-15 years). Although the game's Raptors have evolved to the top of the food chain and established a society not unlike ours, they are far from the longest lived or most powerful creatures around. The Greater Beasts like the ones you speak of roam the vast untamed spaces of Laramidia, where civilized raptors dare not tread. Some of those long-necked Old Ones have roamed the plains for generations, and monsters like the Tyrannosaurs are as feared as gods.

One can only imagine the chaos that would befall the prehistoric world if one of the Alpha Raptors of the ever-warring Raptor Nations somehow gained command of such a creature... ;)

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I feel like most animes and RPGs use teenager/young adults because it caters to their biggest audience. Different age heroes would have different struggles to overcome, and the struggles (and the physical appearance) of an older man/woman may not appeal to the biggest audience of gamers.

My heroes are, as many have already said, in their early 20s. I'm still young enough to be able to relate to those coming of age struggles (barely) ;).

CJthenewbie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Young adults (20s) with at least one elderly (50+)

watermark

Waiting for that RM vibe to come back.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All ages are fun because you react differently to the same thing. Taking kissing for example. Young adults see it as a BIG DEAL and can squander hours into it. While for older adults it becomes a more natural display of affection like a hug. You no longer get the thrill, but it's still a nice warm feeling.

It seems that no one has mentioned immortals. I'm not talking about "fake" immortals so prevelant in fanfics. By fake I refer to supposedly immortal elves or vampires whatnot who act like they're teenagers. They're NOT immortals. They're teen characters with a cardboard immortal tag. If you think about it, a true immortal is really an old person, except they retain their physical youth and vitality.

Continuing with the kiss analogy, would a person who's thousands of years old even still like physical intimacy? (If going by Highlander mythos, YES.) Or would they be really zen-like and be spiritual and stuff? It's an interesting topic to think about.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman series has a quite interesting take on this. I prefer his interpretation. You notice the immortals there truly think and act on a different level than mortals.

Would after thousands of years one become bored of everything and life? Maybe find a spiritual ascension? Or would they find new ways to live it? Or become evil simply because they're bored of being good for so long? Or leave their formerly-till-death-do-we-part partners who they've been with for thousands of years? Who dares to live forever?

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Huh... Seems MZ got a update on Steam to version 1.2. Here's to hoping Effekseer's version upgrade and memory hole fix with this makes it not er... so crippling to frame rates. :LZSexcite:
I once thought about a boss gauntled game. I actually did it.
Stream will be live shortly with some Gex 3! Feel free to drop by!
Snippet from a game I'm working on. Not much happening here. Mostly look at atmosphere. May upload a longer version. Still need to make up some enemy arts.
Been slightly struggling with developing the latest chapter, I think I will downscale my ambitions and make it more linear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emythystvial