What Age You Would Choose For your Characters on Your Maker Game?

What Age You would Choose For Your Characters on Your Maker Game?

• Total voters

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I couldn't vote, because I've used all of them. :aswt:
I believe the youngest character of mine is 10 and the oldest (not counting immortal/undead beings) is in their thirties.

I think there's definitely RPG stories you can tell with kids and teens. (I mean I assume there's more than one type of plot for RPGs, but maybe I'm wrong since everyone's so caught up on the "saving the world" plot. :kaoswt2:)
That said I primarily make non-RPGs, so it's easier to get away with kids as the leads. I haven't had any player complain at least.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
but maybe I'm wrong since everyone's so caught up on the "saving the world" plot. :kaoswt2:
I have to agree with that. The main point I've seen here against kids and teens is that its not realistic for them to save the world compared to more experienced adults.

But let's be honest, its not realistic for a small group of 4-8 adults to single-handedly save the world either. What, is everyone else just quaking in their boots as the big bad threatens the whole world?

For example my current story I'm theory crafting is about a princess who upon turning 16 and as part of a family tradition, was locked in at the top of a magic tower where she must await her 'prince-charming' to rescue her.

But with a year passed said 'Prince-charming' never came, now bored to death of waiting she decides to make her own decent. In light of her new found determination (albeit fuelled by sheer boredom) she is blessed by the tower itself with the 'sword of bonds', said to guide destined partners together.

Ultimately this idea has nothing to do with saving the world but about finding your true love, who may turn out to also be trapped at the 'top' of this dimensionally warped tower which you yourself are descending... and no its not meant to make sense, or is it, nah.

So ultimately as this is meant to be a twist on the 'princess in a tower' and 'true love' kind of stories, it makes sense for my MC to be 17-18.

I would maybe have chosen a younger age to put emphasis on 'innocence' and 'purity', but as marriage is involved in said 'ritual' it kind of caps it at 16; i.e. the age of consent. That and the story requires her to have been there for at least a year so that she gives up on waiting like a 'good girl'. But then again with the societal isolation her mental maturity would likely still be capped at 16, that and its a magic tower, so who knows, I don't.

So long story short, there's a lot to consider when it comes to choosing a character's age. And if the only reason for your choice is 'its not realistic for kids to save the world', maybe its your story which needs some more thought. Because in my opinion, a specific group of adults randomly saving the world isn't much better.
-maybe I missed something, but why was Cloud's group (mostly all young-mid adults) the only people who ever cared about stopping Sephiroth from destroying the world?

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I start at young adult so there's room for character dev.

Thefirelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Teenagers at 16-17 for the protagonists, 20 - 29 for minor characters in the story, but it might not be a rule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

it took soooo long to get character assist to work right in my game. like certain fighting games, a team mate can hop in, do an attack, then leave. it works since these are all one on one fights (usually)
Honestly. Didn't sleep for a day. ONCE
Hi! I've been working on some character sprites for my pirate themed game.
Still somewhat new to pixel art, so feedback or inputs would be appreciated ^^
TRIVIA: I love Japanese food and culture! I've never been to Japan, but someday I'm going to go to Tokyo and do some touring, including Disneyland Tokyo and DisneySea! And I even prepared myself for earthquake safety.
The virus really doesn't want us to do this GameJam. v .v' Even if we don't meet the deadline because of it, still plan on making it a game we'll release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MegaManX306