What Age You Would Choose For your Characters on Your Maker Game?

What Age You would Choose For Your Characters on Your Maker Game?

• Total voters

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Adults also includes those stupid characters who look like kids, but are really 100+ years old. I originally went with adults because I had in mind characters that not only were adults, but looked the part, too.

Leokids

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVX
It's broad because it includes people from 20 - 100+.
Im sorry,But i Split adults to Young Adults,Adults (This also includes Middle-aged people) And elders. so It wont be broad.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Adult and Young-Adult.
That's it, no funny reason or remark Just that xD

Tortletalk

Tortoise pace
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game I'm working on is mainly adults, with one teenager (about 16-18ish) and one 47 year old dude.
There is a child character but she's from a long-lived race - so she's technically the eldest in the party.

I like a mix but I also feel like there's more to work with in terms of backstory with adults over youngsters. Adults have already experienced a lot of things and they come with a whole heap of baggage and regrets, as well as things they value and want to protect.
You can have younger characters with that kind of thing too, but it usually ends up being the one thing that defines them in that case (oh no, I watched my best friend die! That's my sole motivation! - as opposed to - oh no, I watched my best friend die! But can I really go chasing after their killer while my family depends on me? I feel like there's more drama to be eked out in the second one).

I don't like actual child characters (like in FFIV for instance) but only because I usually find them annoying. They can be interesting, I just don't personally like including them :p

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Usually when I'm coming up with game ideas I'll have young adult characters in mind, but the protagonist of one of my projects is an elderly woman. Just felt like having an older main character, I guess.

Rodak

Dang Hippy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Math
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My main character is about 4 years old.

But it's a Cow, and they have an average-ish lifespan of about 8 years, so make of that what you will.

When humans are used (something I am highly unlikely to EVER use in one of my games!) I'd prefer the mixed age ranges. Like young fighters and thieves joining up with middle aged monks and rangers, then meeting an old wizard type.

But who would want to use humans for their game? That's old hat, bordering on cliche. Let's be original!

EDIT: I couldn't vote in the poll because there was no "mixed" option.

ave36

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mix. In Legend of Terra Firma, Oscar Gerrard and Mira Aurorin are 18, Melle von Ruritania is 14, Krible Mutzik is 45, Kaori is 25, Nitewind Doubtful does not really know his age (he was a street urchin with no certificate of birth) but looks 18-ish, Solomon von Cid is 70, and Geas, being a cat familiar, is 2. No one knows the age of Abradox the robot, Dr. von Cid forgot the exact year he made him, but most of this time Abradox spent turned off and collecting dust and rust.

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It really depends on the story being told and the motivation that drives the character. My current project is a horror with an adult. The motivation is to find his daughter who is six or seven years old. Thats the main drive and what gets the story going. It doesn't have anything to do with the story, except giving the main character motivation and a reason to go.

As for my RPG projects and writing... I tend to go towards teens / young adults. The simple reason also corresponds to why school settings are so popular (Harry potter, Percy Jackson the Lightning Thief, visual novels and certain jrpgs): It's relatable.

Almost everyone have attended a school, and had the experience of happiness, sadness, love and hate. The list goes on. The reason its so popular is because it's relatable. It's a familiar setting playing on feelings and nostalgia, with a twist on it. It appeals to both teens and adults, and is probably among the more popular age groups used due to that.

I don't remember all the details, but it has been studied and there are documents out there on why its a heavily favored age group aside from what I've mentioned, but it's also easier to write if your new and don't know where to start. I mean, you've probably been a teen at some point, or are just starting out your adventure across the teenage years as we speak? :D

Edit:
While the main characters are teens, mentor characters are adults. I for some reason like it being a family member, and for some reason, the uncle. Could be the characters father instead, but kids tend to be rebellious against their parents, something that also plays into the "relatable" category.

Leokids

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I Bump it,to see more responses to this question.

arsMori

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For me, it varies, but my "default age" for characters are around the mid-20s range. My current project (and a good couple of my other story plans) all have adult main characters since I can't draw kids I find it easier to flesh out their character, having lived in their world for quite a bit of time.

However, for my other story plans that have child protagonists/main characters, it's because I feel that the stuff like the innocence and naivety of a child could contribute to certain parts of the story. It'd be very interesting to see how the story seems to a child character compared to an adult one.

Dust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't really made it official but I think of the main cast of my game of in their mid-20s. But for a while I haven't even really thought about their age.
The interesting aspect for me was that one of the main chars is definitely a bit more down to earth or reasonable than the others and it made total sense for me that he'll be a few years older than the rest. :D

I guess for me it sort of depends on the character and their age just sort of comes after I get a feel for them.

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I prefer young adults. I like to have optimistic and positive characters who are sometimes a bit naive. I find it easier to display such traits on someone without too much life experience.

Kind of inspired by stereotypes, but I think when creating a character the age can help to underline their behaviour and flaws. After all character actions and behaviour have to be comprehensible by the player. Age related stereotypes can really help with that.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't have an age I specifically ever aim for, but I do regularly have child characters (whether or not they are the protagonist). And I think I've only ever made one game where the characters were in the same age range. Note by age range, I'm personally splitting "Adult" into "below 25", "below 40", and "not yet an elder". Note that "below 25" is also "older than a teen" and that the numbers are more soft limits;

until we're about 25
To me, "25" is "fully grown", but there isn't really a term for that because "adult" is more a legal term than a mentality one.
The main point I've seen here against kids and teens is that its not realistic for them to save the world compared to more experienced adults.
I just don't want realism to get in the way of a good story or good character. I'm fine with dragons and magic, why would age matter?
I actually enjoy writing teen and kid characters because they experience things so INTENSELY.
I definitely agree with this. I even keep it in mind with adults and elders.
If you start looking at age as anything more than a random variable, you're going to start limiting yourself.
From what I've seen IRL, age really is just a random variable. I've met children more mature and aware than most adults I know.
my scientific and logical brain
Is something I love when researching facts and questioning things, but fantasy is all about breaking reality. On the flipside, fantasy absolutely can have science and logic to it that wouldn't apply IRL (and vice versa).
Many games will be based around the age group that they target
This one specifically I don't do. I've rarely made characters my own age (and 'catching up' to ones I've made previously always feels odd) and I rarely write stories (let alone games) with the character intentionally being the same age as the 'target audience'.
People with real problems that are spurred into action and out of their everyday mundane lives that they DESPERATELY want to get back to. I find that more interesting. As an adult, do they embrace the adventure and freedom of the situation... or do they just want to get back to what they're doing because... look... I got bills to pay... I got children to take care of... I'm putting my life at risk for something that is someone else's problem. Can't I just go home, make supper, and go to bed? I got work tomorrow and a mortgage to pay.
And this is my main reason against righting adult characters. I honestly can't think of a less boring character I've seen in media. I think I'd prefer a story based around a "saturday morning cartoon evil".

EDIT: I feel like this all might have been a bit aggressive. I actually totally get why many people prefer adult characters and see why they'd want it. I'm not against anyone making games the way they want to, in fact I'm actively for it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeadlightBC