What am I even doing?

Tall Tree

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Why did I just buy PPG maker mv on the steam summer sale, learn the in's and out's of the program, and proceed to waste my entire summer developing a game that I know I can never finish? anyone know how to restart from a previous save? 

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not really - but on the other hand the first project never gets finished, no one does that - they always restart (even if they sometimes restart the same story) after they learned how to use the engine correctly.

That is why I suggest in my starting point tutorial to always make the first project a tutorial project to experiment and work through the tutorials to learn how to use the maker, before starting a real project that might be completed.

you can find the link to that tutorial in my signature...

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Best of luck Tall Tree - we are expecting great things from you!

P.S. Greatest topic post ever, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAlexG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I had a very similar situation when I first started. Even now, I've currently taken a project I've started with, and after learning quite a bit about the engine, have revamped the whole mess again and again. It's part of the process. Everyone does it at one point or another. 

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Welcome to Game Design!

I have done this, I am actually working on a game with an end goal now which is nice, but you may make a game or two that dont hit the finish line, I did but its helped me refine how I approach various things within the game engine.

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
not really - but on the other hand the first project never gets finished, no one does that - they always restart (even if they sometimes restart the same story) after they learned how to use the engine correctly.

Well, that's not quite true for everyone. I didn't need to make a separate tutorial project; then again, I started with a fair amount of transferable experience from other engines. For me, the hardest part of adjusting to RPG Maker was learning everything you can do with mapping, so in the end I scrapped all my first-draft maps and started them from scratch, and they were much better for it :)

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've done that with a dummy project when I bought VXA 2 years ago. Once I mastered it, I started working on commercial projects (which was my goal for purchasing RPG Maker in the first place). Now with MV, I had to bone up on JS to get it to do what I want and transfer my VXA files. It's a bit troublesome but worth it.

Rogues

Rogues
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I bought the 2003 version first.I also want to attempt commercial projects and plan to make mobile apps out of my game projects(I just bought MV). I scrapped my game in the older version with about 4 hours of gameplay built in but far from the end of the story. I learned a lot using it and now with MV, I see there are more things to learn before I can make an amazing game. My maps are, questionable...I think they're good and I've learned a lot by making them but I feel like i'm still not 100% on my map design...I still like them but they're not as good as some I've seen while snooping around here. In any case, I'm working on my second project and hope to build this one to the end. That's a long way off with a pile of learning curve between me and the end goal. Technically I'm still learning so I suppose I'll just have to see.

Btw, is there anywhere on the forum to share new game concepts and get input from other users? I've looked but haven't found the appropriate place to post. Any advice for that would be appreciated please and thank you.   :)

Astel

The (grey) knight with that funny look
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well... i started using RPG makers since the early 2000's yet i haven't finished a single game :(  Still i'm having fun and that is what matters to me B)

Tall Tree

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Damn, I gotta thank everyone that took the time out to reply to this **** post I made at 1 in the morning with such heart filled responses. In all seriousness though, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is or has experienced something like this and I loved reading you guy's stories. I'll keep working on this piece of **** I'm making and give updates when necessary. 

Also feel free to hit me up if you want to talk about anything, I'm always down for that

kaukusaki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Rogues Study architectural design and city planning. It'll help with your map making.

Rogues

Rogues
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Overall I'm pretty happy with my maps @kaukusaki  Just not sure how they hold up against more experienced map makers...Practice I guess is the key.

cave 3.png

forgotten city 1.png

Water Town.png

kaukusaki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Lol @Rogues my bad i misunderstood what you meant by not 100% on map design. I thought you meant *in skill*, not how complete they were.

They look really good!

mogwai

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I bought MV I tried jumping in to the most difficult game I can think of for someone of my game making caliber.

It was a game using ComiPo manga maker sprites. The sad thing is still sitting on my hard drive with nowhere to go. It's just a school map: classrooms, hallway, bathrooms, basketball court, swimming pool, and a yard, but no actual game or dialogue or any kind of potential at all. I set it aside because when I got that much made I realized I hate my own homemade tilesets and on top of that I have no talent to write a story for this game.

Now that it's kind of abandoned, I feel bad, because I posted a video of the game so far on Youtube and it's getting views and likes and everyone is rooting for me in the comments.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Micro rant. The worst part of working from home when you live with your family is seeing how inconsiderate they are. "Hey, you're sitting in front of your computer, that means you're not doing anything! I want to put the TV at 200 decibels!"

If I was working in the office would they still talking me like that?
It's definitely discouraging when streamers give a try-to-say-it-nicely (i.e. bad) review of your game demo. It's like jumping into a cold pool. Bad initally, but it gets better with time. And you are now more alert and see better.
Some screenshots of the pub and lodging with the beginnings of clutter taking shape
TTp8uCw.png

jtC202e.png

bSXgyVl.png

eRx9PUF.png
Backgrounds are not my strong suit... :kaodes:
DazI8jt.jpg

Just realized I forgot doing the clouds... woops
Went to get some stuff for February 10, the birthday of my favorite ink monster...
I have a little one-person party for Bendy every year, complete with the life-size plushie I made. And yes, I bake a birthday cake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxboop