What anti-heroes' personalities do you would like or hate?

What types of Anti-Heroes you would like to see?

• Total voters

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The list below just arbitrary examples. More importantly, what personalities or behaviors you like to see in the anti-hero characters?

1. The Classical Anti-Hero
In general, the character arc of this AH follows them overcoming their “weaknesses” in order to vanquish the enemy. [Bilbo and Frodo in The Hobbit] This type of AH is not necessarily on the greyscale of morality, they simply defy readers’ preconceived notions of heroism.

2.The Knight in Sour Armor
They know right from wrong, but are typically very cynical and don’t feel that they can make a difference in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise known as a “reluctant hero,” they don’t feel any urgency to join the fight against the villain and are really more concerned with doing their own thing. [Han Solo in Star War.]

3. The Unscrupulous Anti-Hero
The Unscrupulous AH is extremely cynical, and their drive to do good is often skewed by past traumas and a thirst for vengeance. They generally take down a despicable villain — someone who “had it coming.” [Conan the Unscrupulous]

4. The Pragmatic Anti-Hero
The Knight in Sour Armor is typically slow to step into battle, the Pragmatic Anti-Hero is more ready to spring into action if they observe wrongdoings. The key difference is that the Pragmatic AH is also willing to do some not-so-good things in order to achieve their goals.

[Edmund Pevensie from The Chronicles of Narnia]
Edmund is extremely pragmatic and believes people get what they deserve. In this way, he can be unsympathetic and unwilling to show mercy.

Harry Potter himself, by the end of the series, fulfills this role, as he is constantly breaking rules, and uses two unforgivable curses and robs a bank by series’ end in order to off Voldemort once and for all.

5. The Hero in Name Only
They might be amoral or downright sinister, only redeemable by the fact that they’re not as bad as the villain. This anti-hero fights on the side of good, but they have unethical motivation. [ Walter White from Breaking Bad]

Thank you everyone for your patience with me.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I though I would run out of questions, but I was wrong
Well, as you now have 11 threads on the front page alone, you must be coming towards the end of them, if only to give other people a chance to have their questions on the front page.

I didn't vote for any of them because the underlying assumption is made explicit in your final sentence i.e. "but they have no good motivation". I think an anti-hero with absolutely no good motivation is as flat and ultimately boring as an unremittingly evil Big Bad. Is anyone that one dimensional? Where are the internal conflicts/contradictions/ambiguities/questionings that anyone who is not a cartoon character has? What makes this character in the slightest bit interesting?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes, sorry for my English phasing. I meant unethical or selfish motives contain only to number 4. No one didn't the survey before I did my due diligence. I do not know it is going to be a stupid question or not until I ask. Sorry if my question feels foolish to you.

absolutely no good motivation is as flat and ultimately boring as an unremittingly evil Big Bad. Is anyone that one dimensional? Where are the internal
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant unethical or selfish reasons. Thank you for pointing my mistakes. So people here do not misinterpret. Thank you for helping me to form the sentences better.

Is anyone that one dimensional?
I think you misunderstood the sentences. Maybe I show examples. The characters are not one direction imo in those popular movies.

Last edited:

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never think of any of this when making my character.
But I guess this guy is considered the "Pragmatic Anti-Hero":

Kuro Ethernite
1593588761178.png
- His current goal is to fix his family name and reputation which is ruined by his disappearing father at whatever it costs. Initially, it was a push from his vassal member. Later it was for his own gain and selfishness.
- His father, Gaze, is a "Hero in Name". Although he has lots of achievement, he is straight out a pervert disgusting scumbag. Gaze's personality is inspired by Rance from the Rance series. Personally I like this character.
- Kuro's personality is rather similar in a way to his father but he hate to be put in comparison. That's why he is trying hard.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kuro DCupu, thank you for your contribution and make me laugh. I did not know about it too because I just learned about this.
Is that your game characters? :smile::biggrin:
I like the characters that are condescending to another characters too. It is increasing the hate to the characters like the code geass anime of the main protaganist.

Last edited:

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The Anti-Hero is usually my worst type, so I really am fond of none of them. They usually tend to be my least favorites of anything I ever play. XD

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT, how about the party members who betrayed your team later to get money from villains?

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@PixeLockeT, how about the party members who betrayed your team later to get money from villains?
Hmmm, I don't know. but I do like it when a villain has been hiding in the party/friendly NPC pool all along trope. I like wily, manipulative, sneaky antagonists like that.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you confused the difference between the anti-hero and the villain. However, it is subjective and loss definition. The anti-hero can the main hero but is kind of having negative views of shining knight heroism. In PERSONA 5, ATLUS build the entire game around this concept of having freedom from societal conventions as an anti-hero. Breaking laws, but doing a good thing hero are considered to be anti-heroes too. It is just a hero who did not live a privileged life. So they have a fight for their life. They do not care about saying the world, but mostly care about survive the harsh world.

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Anti-Hero is usually my worst type, so I really am fond of none of them. They usually tend to be my least favorites of anything I ever play. XD
What do you think of Vegeta then? Imo, he's one of the best anti-heroes of all time, at least in my books. Anti-heroes typically have a lot more room for growth and character development than true heroes, which makes for a far more compelling story.

Vegeta finally surpasses Goku in the manga! Go Vegeta! lol

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Who played Tales of Zesteria? [Anti-Hero] Velvet has to destroy an entire village while throwing another into chaos by killing its guardian.
@PixeLockeT, you are right that the heroes or friends of heros doesn't have to be anti-heroes. Just my reasoning, I think the devs who like to put those characters on would to display that morality is subjective. Who created those moral standards and why should those characters care? That is mentality of Anti-heroes which like a rebel of your self-interest.

Last edited:

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What do you think of Vegeta then? Imo, he's one of the best anti-heroes of all time, at least in my books. Anti-heroes typically have a lot more room for growth and character development than true heroes, which makes for a far more compelling story.

Vegeta finally surpasses Goku in the manga! Go Vegeta! lol
Vegeta is my second least fav of all of DB/Z/etc. lol right under Trunks (my worst).

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, that's crazy lol. He's my favorite character in the franchise. He has the most character growth/development in the series. Goku is never changing by comparison. To each his own I guess.:kaoangry:

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Who played the Watch Dogs? I know I didn't. Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs is the anti-hero. Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher by Andrzej Sapkowski is also anti heroe. Sandor Clegane, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The protagonist in my current project could probably be called an unscrupulous anti-hero. He does what he does not out of a desire to do good, but for revenge. His bloodlust blinds him to the damage he causes, and eventually he's left with nothing. To him, his actions are justified, but that doesn't make them right.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This may be nitpicking, but I have to disagree with your use of Bilbo as an anti-hero example; and, honestly I have to disagree with your definition of the 'classical anti-hero' as the definition you used fits more with the classical hero archetype. Bilbo may not have been hero material in the beginning, but as his character develops throughout the story, he does in fact become an archetypal hero. Overcoming weakness and character flaws does not fit into what a true anti-hero is. I would argue that overcoming ones own weaknesses and character flaws is exactly what leads to greatness and hero status.

I've never put much thought into different types of anti-heroes before, as it seemed to me there is really only one. Characters will differ, there motivations will differ, but I don't necessarily believe the definition of anti-hero can be chopped up and separated the way that's been done in the OP. Essentially an anti-hero is a character that does heroic things for selfish motivations, and I think it is those motivations that define the anti-hero as a character. So if you were to create sub-types of anti-heroes based on character motivations then the list of anti-hero sub-types would be both endless and pointless IMO.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo I totally agree, these classifications could just as easily be extended to any character type as well, like a hero, villain, or sidekick. It goes without saying you should have personality and motivations for your characters but I don't see the point in these categories when you should really be describing them on a per-character basis.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would argue that overcoming ones own weaknesses and character flaws is exactly what leads to greatness and hero status.
I agree with you totally which the anti-hero can be anything because it is just flawed characters with a flawed world.

So if you were to create sub-types of anti-heroes based on character motivations then the list of anti-hero sub-types would be both endless and pointless IMO.
You are funny. The range between them is a hero and a villain. From a flawed hero to a villain with a heart. It is just general and subjective like grouping anything. So, I can easier explain.:kaojoy:

These classifications could just as easily be extended to any character type as well, like a hero, villain, or sidekick.
I agree with you because the character can play more than one role in the story. I think that would make a story great and mysterious. lol, like nice people around here.

I don't see the point in these categories when you should really be describing them on a per-character basis.
Just talking about it and reflection maybe I get new ideas. I have no experience with this type of character execution. :kaoslp:

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of the protagonists in my game initially could be considered an anti-hero; Zach only joins the party because he accidentally attaches himself to the main character with the most powerful binding spell in recorded history while trying to escape an angry mob. By all accounts he's a womanising, posh, hoity-toity ******* who none of the other people in the party like at first.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Trihan, thank you for your wisdom.
By all accounts he's a womanising, posh, hoity-toity ******* who none of the other people in the party like at first.
Your character sounds really interesting.

@The Stranger, thank you for sharing with me.
@Frostorm, thank you for talking here and for your inputs.
@HumanNinjaToo, thank you for expressing your though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightnvs