What anti-heroes' personalities do you would like or hate?

What types of Anti-Heroes you would like to see?

• Total voters

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are funny. The range between them is a hero and a villain. From a flawed hero to a villain with a heart. It is just general and subjective like grouping anything. So, I can easier explain.:kaojoy:
I have to disagree. Definitions are not subjective. A word means what it means, which is why we have so many different words that describe different things and assign specific meanings. I afford there is no range of anti-hero; instead, there is either an anti-hero or all the things that are not an anti-hero.

A hero with flaws is exactly that. A villain with a conscience is exactly that. I don't believe you can assign an arbitrary range between flawed hero and sensitive villain and call it the 'range of anti-hero.'

I think I see your end goal with the OP: that you want to get people's opinions on a specific character trope, the anti-hero. However, I stand by my first post: that this is better debated within the realm of motivations.

Personally, I don't really care what motivations a character has, as long as it makes sense within the context of the story. Just about everything under the sun can make sense in a story if it is put into the correct context. That being said, I tend to like an anti-hero who has been wronged in some way, then makes it a point to seek revenge while still ultimately saving an innocent in some way. To me, this contention between personal revenge and selfishness versus 'doing the right thing' makes for an interesting story. Some more well-known examples I can think of off the top of my head are Batman, Spawn, The Punisher, and Eric Draven (a.k.a. The Crow).

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kupotepo HumanNinjaToo is correct in challenging your use of the terms to mean almost anything you want them to mean. Language does not work like that, at least if it is to remain as a means of communication between people. Arbitrarily deciding to call a range of characteristics 'anti-hero' does not actually make them so. The citation from the dictionary actually backs up @HumanNinjaToo because all it does is say that the anti-hero lacks characteristic heroic qualities. Nothing there about a range, or the 'types' you have included in your poll.

As @Frostorm rightly said, you should really be describing them on a per-character basis. That is the only way to talk about them in a sensible way.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes, yeah, it is true that @Kes, @HumanNinjaToo, and @Frostorm. Next time, yell me a little hard, so I can change questions better. I am sorry I cannot change the question poll too late.

Oooooh, I get in my brain now. Sorry for being stubborn.

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo HumanNinjaToo is correct in challenging your use of the terms to mean almost anything you want them to mean. Language does not work like that, at least if it is to remain as a means of communication between people.
Lol, now I see why @Kupotepo like to have definitions at the beginning of his threads. I guess if you want people to use your definitions as you laid out for the sake of the conversation in question, that's one thing. But don't think those are the de facto definitions of those words, which have widespread consensus in that regard.

In any case, I like anti-heroes in general. Definitely much more so than any traditional hero concept. My favorites are Vegeta, Lelouche, and Sasuke, to name a few.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm, thank you for trying to knock some sense into me. Please keep doing this. I am appreciated that you, @Kes, and @HumanNinjaToo are concern about enough to inform about my logic flaw.

Now I am asking what personalities you would like to see from anti-hero? :kaojoy:

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kupotepo I hope I did not offend you, that was not my intention.

Now I am asking what personalities you would like to see from anti-hero?
I find it difficult to describe my interpretation of the preferred anti-hero because I'm not sure there is any exact mixture of personality traits that I prefer over another. For me, it is easier to point you toward anti-heroes that I enjoyed.

Besides the ones I listed in my previous post, I also like:

Madmartigan
Jamie Lannister & Tyrion Lannister
Severus Snape
Max (from the Mad Max and RoadWarrior movies)

I don't know, these are the ones that come to mind at the moment. I'm sure you know some of them, probably.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HumanNinjaToo, no no, you are not offending me. You are helping to see the logical flaws of my own thinking. I am the one who needs to apologize to you.

@HumanNinjaToo, thank you for continuing to help me and always answer my questions. These examples are great examples and interesting characters indeed.

Last edited:

Raths Rants

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I think anti-hero, I think of Lord Soth from the Dragonlance series. Not sure which choice a tormented soul would fall under.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember reading somewhere that the traditional anti-hero was just the opposite version of the standard hero (the one who goes through the hero's journey). They're still heroes, they just don't embody virtues, or not in the same way the standard hero does.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I voted only for Pragmatic Anti-Hero (I tend to like that type more than most other anti-heroics), but Harry Potter is definitely not a Pragmatic Anti-Hero! I don't remember him using any Unforgivable Curses, he refuses to sacrifice a single good person (or animal even!) to get the job done, and he seems to have a strict No-Kill policy on humans - to the point where in a battle against the ultimate evil, for his life and the fate of the wizarding world, the spell he decides to use on Voldemort is Stupefy! Perhaps the single most harmless "aggressive" spell we see all series long! He shows very little pragmatism at any point during the series (essentially he doesn't need to since plot armor protects him pretty well), always acting based on his conceptions of right and wrong.

Harry definitely has flaws (hot-headedness, jealousy, mischief, naivety, and often poor judgement), but as far as the heroics go, he's squeaky-clean, shining gold (and red). Definitely more of a full-on Unfettered-type Hero than any kind of Anti-Hero.

On a different note, I tend to dislike the "He Who Fights Monsters" type (which you've generally described as the Unscrupulous Anti-Hero). There's rarely anything redeeming about them and they're generally people I wouldn't ever want to get to know, unlike most other Anti-Hero types who can be very interesting or admirable.

Last edited:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, Harry Potter is a typical hero, not an anti-hero. @HumanNinjaToo mentioned Snape as an anti-hero, which I think is a good example. Anti-heroes don't need to be villainous or edgy. They can exemplify traits we dislike in society, such as cowardice and dishonesty. They don't all need to be badasses.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Raths Rants, thank you for sharing your experience.
@Wavelength, thank you for your experience and your wisdom.

I don't remember him using any Unforgivable Curses, he refuses to sacrifice a single good person (or animal even!) to get the job done, and he seems to have a strict No-Kill policy on humans
Good catch! Sorry for not explaining myself better. But, please just checking make sure that I do not miss some sentences. xD If I am understanding correctly. Ooh, seasonal allergy gives headaches.

The Unforgivable Curses are three of the most powerful and sinister enchantments known to the wizarding world in the Harry Potter book series. Those spells usually illegal to use [the law sometimes except in the wars.] and their use has carried the strictest of penalties, including most recently an automatic life sentence in Azkaban. [Yeah, it is just the book terms. I forget that.] He used the Imperius Curse on Travers and Bogrod during the break-in at Gringotts. But again, Travers is not very nice, but Bogrod is just a natural character. But, he has a reason!

In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, however, he not only successfully uses this pain spell curse on Amycus Carrow shortly before the Battle of Hogwarts, but earlier in the book also uses the Imperius Curse on Travers and Bogrod during the break-in at Gringotts.

Harry cast or attempted to cast the Killing Curse, even against Voldemort himself. Despite the use of the curses being said to carry an automatic life sentence in Azkaban, Harry was apparently not punished in any way for using them (although except for two times, they were legal as he cast them during the regime of Lord Voldemort, and as for the other two times, there are no known witnesses).

Shall we move back to the topic? lol, I will study all of those characters you provide me some of those characters I have no info, but I can learn about those in my own time. They must be interesting and round characters. First, I have a record in my database. Thank you for everyone for your help.

Last edited:

trouble time

Victorious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
When I think anti-hero, I think of Lord Soth from the Dragonlance series. Not sure which choice a tormented soul would fall under.
I dont really think Lord Soth is an anti-hero, he sided with evil during most of his tenure as a character, and the only reason he redeemed himself was so he could die and people would stop using him when his creators left TSR cause they really didnt like when he was put in Ravenloft.

I kean he did kill his wife to be with another woman, and then killed the other woman. Granted he was tricked by the elf maidens, but he still did it.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@trouble time, thank you for sharing the info of an interesting character. I will learn more about the character's personality on my own because everyone here has something to do.:kaoswt2: Thank you for introducing the character to me.:kaothx:

Last edited:

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kupotepo I don't want to drag this off topic but I just want to say that I looked it up, and you are absolutely right - Harry does use Imperius and Cruciatus a couple of times in the later books. I had only remembered the time he failed to use it on Bellatrix and apparently I completely forgot about the other instances he used it successfully! My bad. I might still argue this doesn't justify Harry as an anti-hero (or a pragmatist) since the tone of the work seemed to justify the use of Imperius, and even McGonagall called his use of Cruciatus "chivalrous". Whether we should agree, as readers, is more unclear. The last book and a half was a bit of a hot mess.

CHKNRAVE

I don't end projects, I start them.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my opinion, any anti-hero is a good anti-hero as long as they're not just a one-dimensional villain. It doesn't make sense to be bad just for the sake of it, just like a hero who's doing it because they're The Chosen One who just crashed into the world they're supposed to save.
The anime Cautious Hero depicts a much more realistic reaction from a hero placed in this situation: why should I care? You took me out of my world, and now you expect me to save yours by risking my life? Send me home, this is not my adventure.

The kind of anti-hero you choose is entirely based on the story you want to tell. Ideals clashing against each other make the best stories, if you ask me, and anti-heroes can absolutely have unconventional moral compasses to solidify their bad guy statuses. As long as it makes sense for their thinking processes to conclude that their methods are right.

Side note, @Wavelength the real hot mess about the Harry Potter universe was after the last book.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CHKNRAVE, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. Is that you mean Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious? Sound like comedy anime.

1593726080754.png

Last edited:

CHKNRAVE

I don't end projects, I start them.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, that's the one. The cautious part doesn't really apply to my point, but the rest of the synopsis does.
inb4 somebody makes an RPG Maker adaptation, thinking they're so clever by mocking the most basic RPG trope ever in an RPG

Raths Rants

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont really think Lord Soth is an anti-hero, he sided with evil during most of his tenure as a character, and the only reason he redeemed himself was so he could die and people would stop using him when his creators left TSR cause they really didnt like when he was put in Ravenloft.

I kean he did kill his wife to be with another woman, and then killed the other woman. Granted he was tricked by the elf maidens, but he still did it.
GO TEAM TEAM EVIL! As a long time DM, it was my job to root for the bad guys. I'll chalk it up to nostalgia :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan
Did a massive ****up in my code that would have caused the game to crash on most computers and almost released an update without noticing it.
I keep thinking today is Thursday.
And I look forward to the next preview thread coming this afternoon.
And then I realise it's not Thursday at all.
And then I get sad :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr