What Are Some Good Camping/Rural Food Recipes?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Uzuki, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In my game I decided to take a different approach to how items work and took a page out of the Witcher and Tales of series. Basic healing items, like herbs and mushrooms, and basic food items, like cheese and bread, offer a small amount of healing and are great for healing in the early game. As time goes on the basic ingredients become less useful and it'll be time to start using the Cook option to combine and make better items. These items don't just offer better healing, but they also have benefits such as temporary increasing strength or speed.  

I want to use recipes that are common when camping or in rural areas, but my problem is that I'm a city boy and I feel that the recipes I know of are a bit too unrealistic to be making in the depths of a dungeon. Doe's anyone have any knowledge of the types of food that are common when camping and such?

Alexander Amnell and Iliketea like this.
  2. Iliketea

Iliketea Tea lover Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Uzuki likes this.
  3. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We'd often go catch our own fish, gut 'em, and cook 'em up over the camp fire. Much tastier than canned tuna, lol. Lots of beans, especially from a tin. Nuts, dried fruit. As long as it was a short camp fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful. I imagine these days it's so much easier to camp seeing how we've managed to give our boxed food immortality. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
    Oddball, Uzuki and Alexander Amnell like this.
  4. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I got excited about this topic at first, then I realized most of my wild game recipes still utilize a lot of modern conveniences and had to think a lot harder than I thought I would about how to prepare basically anything without the comforts of a well-stocked spice and seasoning kit and just using what can be found growing naturally and unprocessed.

Boiled Squirrel > squirrels (3 make a filling  meal for a grown man), celery seeds, garlic and wild onions. Don't know if you actually want insight into how its prepared but just in case you basically just boil the squirrels for around an hour, until the meat is easily flensed off the bone. Then role the chunks around in whatever of the above seasonings you've happened to bring along/scavenge along the way. Could also replace squirrel with other small game such as rabbit for alternate recipes.

Campfire quail > essentially after dressing you can just skewer these little fellows over the campfire, but looking into adding ingredients you might find in the field you could stuff them with wild rice, and sprinkle thyme on them for flavor.

Scavenger's Salad > Cattail Stalks, Garlic, sorrel, dandelion leaves, mallow, pennycress, pine nuts, chick peas, edible mushrooms. Basically just mix up what you can find, mushrooms and chickpeas really make the meal here. Without at least one of those for flavor and contrast it's a lot harder to ignore the fact that you are consuming a trailmix of whatever edible plants you happen to stumble across and just enjoy the healthy meal.

kaukusaki, Iliketea and Uzuki like this.
  5. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Alexander Amnell Please throw in spices and seasoning too if you want. Spices can be bought from towns and merchants so it's not off the table. Due to the old school fantasy setting and the lore of the world spices are expensive, but they can change the outcome of a recipe and boost the effects of the food.   

kaukusaki likes this.
  6. Iliketea

First Language:
    German
    I know where you can find TONS of dungeon recipes!

You will have to read a mange for that tho.... http://www.mangahere.co/manga/dungeon_meshi/ ( its english)

Its a manga ( Japanese comic ) about people that go into a dungeon to find a missing team mate and meat a dwarf that is into cooking.

The whole manga is basically: Oh look a mushroom monster, lets make a stew out of it, look at that poisonous plant , I bet its tasty, Hey look a kelpie, now I feel like eating horse meat and I wonder how a dragon tastes.

Even if you never read a manga before or dont like them, it has tons of ideas you can use!

And its funny.

Uzuki, cekobico and kovak like this.
  7. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can think about something else if you read Re:Monster, it's about a guy who dies and it reborn as a goblin in a fantasy world...but he gets the feeling that he's in a JRPG.

The protagonist eats raw pieces of his enemies and earns bonuses by doing so, he can even learn new skills. It sounds fine since he's a goblin.

There's also the fact that if he eats a lot he can evolve into a rare species when reaching maturity.

As far as i know it's a novel adaptation...hope it never gets an anime. It wouldn't suit an anime cuz it sounds like a guy grinding in a game.

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/re_monster/

[​IMG]

Iliketea likes this.
  8. cekobico

cekobico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Thank you for reminding me to read the new chapters of this manga lol 

Iliketea likes this.
  9. kamui82

kamui82 Alchemist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm a big foodie, so I read a lot about food history and culture.  I remember reading about these kinds of traditional camping foods with Australian outback cooking, when people who looked after livestock would have to prepare foods like this over campfires and such, so you might find some ideas looking into those traditions (sometimes called bush tucker).  Even bread like damper was prepared this way (I've sometimes seen the dough wrapped over a stick and cooked over the fire) and billy tea using a tin can to boil the leaves in.  The idea being that your adventures could incorporate the items they are traveling with into food prep tools.  

Uzuki, kovak and Alexander Amnell like this.
  10. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    kaukusaki and Uzuki like this.
  11. LightningLord2

LightningLord2 Psionic Bird Thrower Veteran

First Language:
    German
    If you're going with a fantasy setting, remember that most peasants only had bread, some vegetables and the occasional alcoholic beverage. Meat was considered a luxury good, so only nobles ate it regularly, while the commoners generally only ate meat during festivities.

Speaking of meat, it also is a popular food among soldiers since you can conserve it very well with copious amount of salt. Perfect for when you're marching into another continent to wage holy wars.

12. Iliketea

First Language:
    German
  13. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Acctually they would serve meat when they'd engage the enemy army on the following day or to celebrate.

Deppending on the age you'd have canned meat only in your rations, mid-high quality meat would fall into the cases above.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
  14. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ive got a good camping recipie

gramcracker with chocolate roasted marshmellow and gramcracker  :p

edit: sorry, someone had to say it

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
  15. Gubbey

Gubbey Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well there's always seafood gumbo, stuffed eggplants, meatballs and whatnot... But if you wanna really have fun, why not make your own recipes?

Pickled Goblin Nose = Goblin Flesh + Sour Toad Mucus

Mutt Sausage = Werewolf Meat + Flame Salts + Panacea

Refreshing Milk = Ice Spider Leg + Killer Flower Nectar + Minotaur Milk

16. Dad3353

Dad3353 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm of a rather simple mind, and somewhat minimalist in my approach, being rather neophyte in these matters. Here's how I've made food and recipes available to my Party. Not very sophisticated, but it works reasonably enough for me. I've Items, which, when consumed give a percentage of HP, plus a Max HP increase. These are progressively more beneficial, but, of course, more difficult to find until the Actor's level increases. Combinations of these elements give added benefit equal to the double of the weakest Item. Here's a chart, to illustrate, and screen shots of the Items and Common Events used...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Food items are gifted by NPC's, or found dispersed around the game, and are consumed; the Recipes are found by searching through bookshelves in kitchens (well, where else..? ;-) ) and are permanent..

This may be too simple for some, but, hopefully, could be of use to someone..?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016
    Uzuki likes this.
  17. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Well honestly you could make pretty much anything in the wild if you had the ingredients. Rare exceptions being maybe pastries/pies (and similars) and maybe bread (at least not how we know it), I'm not sure you can make bread on a camp fire, without access to an oven. But if you buy them already made, it's entirely possible to warm them, though. toasting bread on an open fire is after all an all-time classic, you just don't bake the bread on your campfire.

But anything else is good: anything raw like salads, anything grilled or boiled, stews... all good and feasible. You could also smoke meat.

Another great classic, and sadly I'm not sure how to say it in english, is what we'd call in french "une papillotte" (I found the word "curlpaper"?). Basically you wrap various food in tin foil (back then I think they'd use cabbage leaves). A classic is putting in some ground meat, potatoes, a few vegetables like carrots, salt & pepper, and burying it in braises for a while.

The main obstacle to camp food honnestly is you have to carry most of your stuff with you. Fresh food doesn't last long and liquids are heavy and cumbersome. That's why you usually carry dried foods, etc. and you usually don't fry foods because you'd have to carry oil. But in a JRPG where this is not a concern, I don't really see why you couldn't.

Uzuki likes this.
  18. Dad3353

Dad3353 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

'Cooked in foil', or 'in a foil packet'.

Curlpapers are for curling one's hair, derived from 'papillon', the form given by those papers when forming the curls (bouclé...). The paper used is heat-resistant, hence its use as sheets in the kitchen for baking.

Certainly, in the 'wild', leaves are often used (banana or vine leaves, and others...)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2016
  19. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Regular bread would be hard to make, but with a Dutch oven (the cast iron pot you can make stews and curries in, not the other kind lol) you could make quickbreads like cornbread or maybe scones, and cakes, pies, or even pizza. It all depends on how advanced you want the campfire cookery to be, though.

kaukusaki, kovak and Uzuki like this.