Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is not about *how* (coding-wise) to use Select Item, but *why* you use it -- what are some good uses? What are some ideas for Hidden Items? I made a tutorial for Key Items in Ace, and want to make one for MV that shows some good functions. I have some ideas:

- achievements

- quest log

- character who wants ten items (any items) to trade you something good

- character who will scrap items for a different currency

Some of these would be better as plug-ins, so do you guys have some better ideas? Is there anything that's *best* done as Select Items?

(I don't know if this is the best forum for this, but it is specific to MV.)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I initially thought of things like this ...

You have a pet (or several) along with several treats.  Use Select Item to determine what treat to give to what pet, and your choices will affect the pet's behaviour (or stats, if you use them in battle)

You have a single pot and several plant seeds.  Choose which one to plant.

And then it struck me that you could use the Hidden Items A and B as an alternative to the Show Choices function.  You know when you have more choices than will fit and you don't want to use the Branch option, or when you want to condition your choices?  Previously in Ace, Hime wrote a couple of scripts that would give you more choices, as well as conditional choices, but IIRC had problems with making choices invisible altogether if the conditions weren't met.  You could use the Hidden Items to populate the choices (give 1 item per choice you want available), use the Select Item command to choose one, and then execute the choice depending on the item id chosen.  A common event that's called prior to setting them up could remove all the hidden items so you don't have leftovers.

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
And then it struck me that you could use the Hidden Items A and B as an alternative to the Show Choices function.
Oh, that's a good one! I might try that.

Rpg Guy

Complex Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use select items in my game for cards, for a mini-game.

When the player starts the mini-game I use the "select Item" event with "hidden item A". That way it only show the player a list of their cards to choose from.

This makes it so that the player can only choose one of their card durring the card game event, as opposed to being able to choose any item and me having to add multiple conditional branches to make sure they only choose a card.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm proud of what I have achieved with my project. Don't mind with the Spanish, Ill add more languages.
Our garage has been so full since moving we haven't been able to get our car in. Storm night before last (no hail), storms forecast for last night & today. I convinced hubby we should clean out the garage and we managed to get it done and get the car in. Hail last night! Just in time!
Taller RTP Characters, Rewrite Dialogues w/ AI, & Simple Event AI & Shooting | RPG Maker News #37

No water this time, just trying for a majestic cliffside... The cave snuck in because I liked it. Now I guess I need a mini cave map or "secret" for it. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielvallejos