what are the different tileset tabs for?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by heraculas, Aug 15, 2019.

1. heraculas

heraculas Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    im new to rpg maker.
    so in the database > tilesets > images section, there is A1(animation), A2(ground) and so on.
    what do these mean?
    i tried to put a custom tileset i found online here into a custom tileset i created, whilst some of the images showed up in the editor, some of them didnt.
    is A1(animation) just for animated tilesets?
    can someone confirm and explain please?

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @heraculas The information under your avatar says that you use MV, but you have posted this in VX. I am going to assume that was a mistake and move this accordingly.

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

The tabs are very specific. Tiles A1 - A5 must be in the corresponding slot on the A tab. You have some flexibility about A5 tiles, which I will explain in a minute, but if you put A1, A2, A3 or A4 tiles anywhere else, they will not show up properly in the game. Similarly if you try and put anything else into those slots, the tiles will not work. That is because all of these are auto tiles. A1 is for animated tiles, the others for seamless tiling (walls, roofs, ground etc.) They have very specific formats which cannot be changed. B - E tiles can go on top of them without wiping them out - which is why you can put e.g. windows on to walls. A5 tiles are not auto tiles in the same way, but are there so that you can put other tiles on top of them. So stairs, cliffs and so on.

Tiles for B - E tabs: you can put any B-E tile onto any of the tabs, they are all equal.

3. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Most of those info can also be found in RMMV by pressign F1 or to the help file which explain everything in all details.
    which can also found online.

Make sure if you are new take the tutorial built-in MV to see how most things works.
    The basics alone is already powerfull without adding plugins.

4. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll third the above.
    Though there's a good tutorial article I found a while back that breaks down what each letter means and how/why they're arranged. Something like "Bot's guide to custom art in RMMV" should pop up in search engines.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  5. heraculas

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    thanks everyone, ill check out the tutorial in the engine

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    not the tutorial - the help file

the tutorial of MV shows you how to use the editor and make a game.
    the help file contains description of both the editor functions and the resource standarts, and it's the resource standarts that you need to know for this.

heraculas likes this.
  7. heraculas

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    aha got it, well i'll check out everything, even using youtube videos