RaynRayn

jojo brainrot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all, my team and I have encountered a slight roadblock that's been hindering production as of late.

You see, we are capable of making our game 100% custom assets (that includes tilesets, icons, sprites, menus, and windowskins, etc), but where we're stuck on is how exactly to compile them into the needed format.

RPG maker is... Confusing, to say in the least. It's hard. We are new to it though, so that explains a lot.

But what we need to know is: What are the formats to making a custom windowskin? Tileset? Menu?

Like, here's an example of a windowskin:
GJW7LzU.png
But what does everything mean, where does everything go, and what are the approximate sizes needed?

And the same for a tileset. How wide and long can it be? How far apart do different objects/tiles need to be? What size equals one tile? Which tiles go on the top, and which on the bottom?

And finally menus. How do we make a custom menu? Do we need a script? Is it similar to designing a windowskin, or is the menu a part of the windowskin? How do we fit a window into the actual game itself?

I know I'm asking SO many questions, but it would really be helpful if I could hear back from the forums!

Here are some examples for some of the menus I want, by the way:

upload_2018-9-28_18-17-5.png

upload_2018-9-28_18-17-22.png

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The best way to learn the sizes and what goes where is to open the RTP files in Gimp, Photoshop or some other program and take a look at them and how they're constructed.

RaynRayn

jojo brainrot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can find a somewhat simple explanation in the help files, Resource Standards section.

I myself have been working on a windowskin modification plugin, which you can dissect at your discretion if you want.
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/window-object-replacement.99447/

it could help you make that menu skin, in theory.
*coding* the menus? that's another story, though.
Thank you. I feel very stupid not having thought about looking through the Resource Standards. Definitely will give what you said a try!

Edit: AHHHH this is incredibly helpful!! Can't believe I didn't think about these before!!

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If your query is fully resolved please Report your opening post and ask for it to be closed. Mods might not see a post but they will see a Report.
Thanks.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So a big bug that was on a glue trap at home is now magically not on the glue trap. This feeling of terror I'm experiencing could be a fun thing to put in my game project (not the IGMC one).
Hoping that Unite has a character generator with black hairs/lips and other features.. it is such a pain making characters without these...
Today is my dad's birthday! And he's still going strong in his retirement days!
Ooh a plugin for exactly what I was looking for... DEAD LINK. DEAD LINKS EVERYWHERE.. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
Current battle gameplay for Shadows of the Earth: The Vrila'an Legend
and yes... still thinking and testing various color schemes for the menu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alerin