What are the Hooks in Your Games that Hooked Your PLayers?

ProSuperKewl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi. I have been indirectly made to understand that at least few of you have went out succeeded in making commercial game. As I also am hooked with the one that are non-commercial, help me, help us to be aware; I'm sure you have people giving feedback on your games. Could you share with us what are the certain hooks, as what may have been mentioned by your players, in your games that hooked your players while playing, in that afterwards they gave a very encouraging review and feedback?

ProSuperKewl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Originally, mega length, and uniqueness of the cast. B):rock-right:
Aha. Perks of building up a franchise for several years rite? I think I remember playing an Aveyond(is Aveyond series yours too?) around 2011,..I forgot exactly the content but it was very fun, it was my baby years in RPG Maker too(I'm still a kid tho, never finished making a serious game, hence the thread). Could you give an example from your massive game development mastepiecal repertoire on the "uniqueness of cast", as I am having difficulties trying to write characters' personalities..

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Aveyond series yours too?

Nope, my main series are Laxius Force and Millennium.
Laxius Force was very long, Millennium was normal size (still pretty big by many RM games' standards).

Could you give an example from your massive game development mastepiecal repertoire on the "uniqueness of cast"

I've made more than 320 playable characters since the beginning so it's hard to single out a few lol
But just from one game I had a Half Goddess, Goddess, Werewolf, Fire Elemental, Angel, Cerberus, Fish, Princess, King, Assassin, Undead, Vizir, Informatician, Economist, Geomancian, Chameleon, Demon, Dragon (and mini Dragon), Monkey, Mermaid, Robot, Virus, Bunny girl and of course a Cat too aha.

ProSuperKewl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ah sorry my bad. :S
320 playable chars :o in over like what, must've been over a decade?? 1.501242953 decades? :S
that's a hugantically massive amount of workloads. I have a lot of ideas, aspiring to build franchise like Aveyond, Millineum, Laxius, Legionwood...but when I think of it, and especially I'm still underdog in RPG Maker game dev skills, I feel like a huge pressure being conferred(or convulsed) upon me right even before I'm getting serious..any advice though?
So many variety of casts, I could begin to imagine the vague complexities of them.
Also what's a Vizir? And is a informatician = informer + tactitician? Kinda like...Advisory strategist per say?

edit: just saw the 12 years in the making in your sig, sorry xS
edit 2: crap this thread supposed to be about the hooks xV sorry

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
320 playable chars :o in over like what, must've been over a decade?? 1.501242953 decades? :S
Signature. :ninja::thumbsup-left:

any advice though?
Listen to no-one, work for yourself, enjoy your game and have fun along the way.

Also what's a Vizir?
Ruler of an exotic land.
Officially this:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vizier

And is a informatician = informer + tactitician? Kinda like...Advisory strategist per say?
More like the IT guy. :guffaw:

ProSuperKewl

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Eremidia Dungeon: Skyward Temple
This project is the shameless promotion of my battle system (emphasis on shameless). This works as both a game on its own and also a sample project for the system. During the time, I managed to hook my players to look at how I handle the animation, new mechanic, and new action sequence that (self-proclaimed) to be more robust and smoother than the other existing battle system. Many just download it for the sample sequence, but while at it, they have an option to actually play the game if wanted.

Eremidia: Rise of the Deep (The sequel project)
It's mainly for a nostalgic feeling. I noticed that some of the people liked the prequel and wished the continuation, so I made this. Originally, I wasn't planning to actually make a sequel.

-----
On top of that, some people seemed to like how I handle the battle.
And another hook I can offer is that my project will never get encrypted, so people are free to look around. The downside is, I'm not going to use any DLC resources ever.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Building a franchise is a good way to build a loyal audience. However, it is important to be careful and not make playing the previous games a requirement for playing the subsequent games. You need to make it so if the player played the previous games he'll have a better insight into the world/lore, but you also need to make sure that new players can enjoy your game without having to play your previous games.

Personally, as a coder, I try to hook players with unique mechanics. For my current project it's my battle system combined with my ability system. Basically heroes have abilities that can be level up through farming.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For my last game, the hook is the gut punch when you get owned by an early encounter and you have to start over (unless you're in the small percentage who makes it on first time). It encourages players to learn from the experience and try again. Got positive feedback from those who actually pushed through and learned how to use the battle system to their advantage.
It's a pretty niche hook that isn't made to be cast in the main-stream, but that's fine with me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Thinking about picking up Luna Engine, but also wondering if I should wait to see if it goes on sale.
So looks like the last Star Wars movie sucked. We feared George would kill his own legacy after Episode 1. But look like he handed off to others to put it out of its misery. Does that count as assisted suicide?
Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marsa16