What are the moods of your world setting?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do your main characters join the war? Or just go kill monsters? Do your main characters young or old? What is your setting feel like?

Anyhow, I would like to know what everyone 's mood settings do you choose and your reason to do so?

It is your world feel dangerous, scary, safe, or mysterious. It is your characters and a player feel like someone is watching them. Booobooobooo, the wolf jumped off from behind the tree.

Last edited:

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A world can be not at war, yet not be at peace at the same time. For example, America right now. You have the corona virus, protestors, trouble makers cause there is people protesting and all sorts of other s**t going on. Your going to have to be more specific

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Oddball, thank you for your help. I realized that my questions are to general for the general discussion. lol. I will rephase it now.

Last edited:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@slimmmeiske2, thank you for your help to correct my mistake.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The current game I'm working on starts off in the middle of a coup. The main protag is betrayed while fighting against it and believed to have been killed. The protag then awakens, after some time, in a place ruled by these usurpers. There's no more fighting, but there's a heavy military presence, and a small number of self proclaimed freedom fighters who haven't got much done, and who are making things worse for everyone else. So, I guess political upheaval and betrayal would be the themes for my game, at least for the early parts of it.

The theme of betrayal is probably more central than political upheaval, and is a common theme that ties many characters and sub-plots together.

Kupotepo

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger, thank you for your helpful advice and share with me your masterful writing. I will use this improve my writing process. I am almost forget it is the purple thing on your icon will help the main characters survive the civil war?

Last edited:

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The mood of the world I made can be summed up as... light and inviting on the surface but with horrific secrets underneath. It's a relatively peaceful modern setting - there's no real wars, magic is well understood enough to be used recreationally and generally, it's not that much different from real life.

(The only outright exception to this is the necromancer overlord that rises every twenty years or so, but even then it's seen more like a natural disaster that people prepare for in advance.)

Naw. When you dig deeper, that's when you get into the real meat - I like to play up psychological horror or straight up horror for setpieces. Giant eldritch bio-mechanical monsters stuck under the earth's crust? Check.

It could even be as simple and realistic as learning the father of the protagonist's friend was actually super abusive and cruel.

It's not to cheapen the more light-hearted elements and say "haha, it was never real", but rather to serve as a balance.

The light hearted elements are to add contrast so that when whatever part of the world is being threatened (be it an entire region, just one town or even a single person), it's far more emotionally resonant than if it were all dim and dark. It's to make things worth fighting for, essentially.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm aiming the mood of my project to reflect the main character's arc; starting out timid, melancholy, just trying to keep warm/survive despite how hopeless they feel about their situation. This is reflected both in the plot (the main character is being hunted by "the good guys") and by their personal life (namely with anxiety and self-worth issues making the main character feel like they don't deserve to have a romantic relationship they want).

But by the end, the main character is passionate (both in the intimate sense with their love interest and in the plot-sense where they're ****ing furious that the people trying to kill them aren't actually "the good guys"), blunt, confident, and is now "one of the few bold enough to turn the thermostat up to what they need/want it to be," so to speak.

And I want this to be reflected in the environment, started at Icy mountains, snowy forests and frozen bodies of water, and ending at a downright tropical island/jungle setting.

Neonzumi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would describe the mood of my game as: Alice in Wonderland + Di Gi Charat + Wayne's World 1 and/or 2 + Earthbound = Cheddar Con Carne - Prelude to Whimsicality.

In other words, it's pretty much a whimsical adventure with a twisted sense of humor.

Pix3M

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going for a cynical, satirical RPG that takes place in a world that looks happy on the surface. It's full of strange social rules that aren't clear to either the player or the main character. Everyone seems happy with the world, but not the main character. I'm going for a mood which the player feels something seems off. The "good guys" aren't "good", the "bad guys" may as well be completely imagined scapegoats. Political leaders have some kind of hidden agenda. Some leaders are hollow, others are comically narcissistic.

But when the main character decides to leave their country for a "free" country, all the problems that existed in their home country is much worse in their new one. I'm aiming for a mood that switches from being a "dystopia" with a smiley face, to a dystopia with a frowning face.

Eyeball Mouth

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want the game mood to be dark yet light hearted. Funny when it needs to be to let the player breathe and serious when its time for plot. There's a lot of death and messed up monsters in my game, but the heroes are used to it and they make jokes along the way to keep there spirits up. The world is a messed up place but little by little you can help each other get through the days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:
Oh man I've been struggling with event spawners and Qmovement compatibility for quite a while- went as far as to use a tool just to pick crops :kaocry: but Ritter got their spawner to work with Qmove and I'm screeing! It's still in testing period but just- the feeling of getting over a large gameplay hurdle is a HUGE relief, I'm so thankful to Ritter! It's a cheap paid plugin but totally worth it!
Welp, I just finished my favorite part of RPG making which is creating skills, now onto the tasks I like less so the motivation is lower. At least I'll get to create new ones while designing enemies!
New to MV... Awesome forum, cheers everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arthur2007