What are the most common traps newbie developers tend to fall for while making a project?

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a big one - knowing when to scrap ideas. My example, I wanted an enemy to follow the player around the map as an added obstacle, however this mechanic would interfere with other systems going on, and as much as I loved the idea and what I could do with it, I decided to scrap it.

Knowing when to cut content is very important.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm going to chime something that no one has mentioned this yet. Because everything else has already been mentioned.

Not backing up the project.

Idk how many times I've heard ppl lost their project in this past few months

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheoAllen Very good point. It's even a valid point for experienced developers.

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to chime something that no one has mentioned this yet. Because everything else has already been mentioned.

Not backing up the project.

Idk how many times I've heard ppl lost their project in this past few months
I lost my second one last week :(
Here's mine:
Thinking too highly of yourself.
Your first anything will stink, it takes hard work to improve and make a good game. So it will probably take several projects to get good. Be realistic about yourself and your abilities.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
  • Too many ideas/mechanics: This goes hand in hand with too many plugins. The quality of a game is dependent on the quality of the ideas and mechanics, not the quantity of them. Stick to one main good idea/mechanic for your first project and start with that.
This is actually the thing I was trying to figure out how to articulate. Everyone wants their game to stick out. And often that means having things that are unique and interesting about the game.

But its better as a lone developer to focus on ONE unique and interesting thing than trying to develop ten different ones in one game. It's all scope creep. A single developer will never have the time to fully develop that many systems. Go with one cool thing, and then use tried and true methods for most everything else.

Waterguy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally found out what my personal weakness is...
I did not really know what I was actually aiming for, despite thinking I did.

V_Aero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally found out what my personal weakness is...
I did not really know what I was actually aiming for, despite thinking I did.
Yes, same for me. I actually was about to write the same. I wanted to make a game inspired by No Mans Sky, but different, and now I lost myself ._.

Jhale M.

Goddess of health, purity and truth.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
In my opinion, best thing to do is focus on making what only YOU can make. When making a creative project YOU or your vision/team are the selling point. Try to be as straight forward as possible, don't try to get things perfect and then let people play test your game so that you actually do fix what is wrong with it. Don't take everyone's opinion though, just take the ones that feel like it was purely an oversight or unintentional burden on the player.

Otherwise, I think people should not take advice from anyone who they don't highly respect. A lot of people have opinions that are repeated from what they believe to be the limits based entirely on what others have said. Only YOU can define the limits of your experience. The world is a darker place if we believe everyone needs to follow the same ideas to succeed in a creative project of all things. You have to believe, push and focus on the most verifiable truths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You know, I sometimes ponder if working on the story and details is more necessary than the game itself. Its... technically work, just not direct.

Like for me specifically I never stop evolving the story based on what avenues I can approach in gameplay and then I get anxious thinking "hey good thing I thought about that now instead of later". Repeat ad nauseam.
World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)
So my office building has 8 individually rented offices in it; 3 of which are social workers and 2 are marriage therapists... Unsurprisingly it always sound very angry out there. Glad I have my own private entrance. :LZSexcite: :thumbsup-right:
I wonder if there's ever been an art challenge that involves drawing faces from the generator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vaporware_Studios