What are the Pros and Cons of parallax mapping ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaelan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People should be less worried about the actual graphics for the game and more worried about the shortcomings of its gameplay.
Graphics affect how much you enjoy the game. An ugly game is just less fun, even if it has the same mechanics. This is fairly obvious if you take any good game, take out the lighting and replace everything with grey cubes.

Levi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Graphics affect how much you enjoy the game. An ugly game is just less fun, even if it has the same mechanics. This is fairly obvious if you take any good game, take out the lighting and replace everything with grey cubes.
I enjoy Suikoden I and II more than I enjoy Lost Planet or Gears of War.

Your statement is silly.

Edit:

I mean... if I had to pick between the same game being 8-bit or 32-bit... I'd pick 32-bit. So you're correct in that sense. But I wouldn't call a RM game without Parallax "ugly". There are lots of beautiful games made purely in the RM editor without Parallax Mapping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shablo5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You're both off topic a bit, aren't you?

Elements

7th Stratum
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Personally I use a mix of all 3 techniques depending on what what I need, they all have something to offer.

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Why would you guys bother arguing over which method is better anyway. What matters is your own general aesthetic view (which can be improved over time with constant practices, regardless of the method used) and how efficient or familiar you personally are with the method.

Milkdud

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Graphics affect how much you enjoy the game.
For you maybe, but certainly not for me. Graphics have never concerned me and never will; all it really does is compliment the game.

An ugly game is just less fun, even if it has the same mechanics.
If that were the case, Planescape: Torment wouldn't be one of my favorite games of all time. Rage also has some very low res textures, but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying its solid shooting mechanics, locations, and overall atmosphere.

This is fairly obvious if you take any good game, take out the lighting and replace everything with grey cubes.
If the gameplay is still fun, then it's still a fun game. Graphics do not and should not make the game. If it does, then chances are the game is below average.

Shablo5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is waaaay off topic here. We went from "What are the negative elements and positive elements of parallaxing" to game design principle discussion. I'd really like to see more comments on the topic at hand, as I feel there may be some left unsaid, and I love the legitimate discussion that was going on. ^^

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Like Celianna said, it's been discussed several times before. I don't think there's anything that can be said that's not been discussed before. Personally, use whatever floats your boat.

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
This topic became pointless, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

slaQ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch, English
Primarily Uses
Well, since I started this topic, I can safely say all my questions have been answered. So feel free to lock it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

MythicRuss wrote on gothicvoid's profile.
hi, i was looking thru ur awesome stuff, and was looking around the internet, how in the heckin heck do i get the hiddendoors to open? im addng them to the doors event but they just appear as solid walls, btw am total noob lol
currently working on some template sprites and tweaking the walk cycle :)
Lunee.jpg
Early try to draw our Demon Countess, who destroyed her own soul leaving just an empty shell of a body - until our heroine unwillingly takes possession of it, every time she falls asleep.
(I know it’s a premade face from the Dark Fantasy Set, but I spent so much time with her, that I can’t bring myself to change the sprite anymore xD)
I finished setting up my new desk and apparently she thinks this is where she goes now.

20210411_082331.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
claanxy