What are the reasons people don't want to put a credit in their games?

Lei-Ray

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello guys,

Just a weird question which I can't find an exact answer by googling.
What are the reasons people don't want to credit somebody else in their game?
It seems like all you need to do for the contributors is to put their name and a link of them, which seems extremely easy and costless to me.
I'm wondering if there are some hidden rules about crediting in the game that is not known to me.

This question arises because I see people keep saying something like "credit is appreciated", and just saw an expensive plugin offers a much lower price by just give credit to the creator in your game. Which kinda implies crediting is a difficult thing to do?

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not hard, it's just some people don't, whether it's because they forget or don't care enough to do it.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think people deliberately omit from giving credits, unless they got a resource illegally.

Some asset creator are just really generous and selfless people and don't expect credit. That's just the kind of person they are. Personally I always ask for people to put my name in the credits, but nothing more.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lazy I guess. Sometimes people can't be bothered to keep tabs on who's resources they're using.

MrNybbles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like any other industry keeping track of assets (be they tilesets or people) can be very difficult.
In the Film and TV industry credits were one form of proof that you worked on a specific project.
(With the IMDB this is less of an issue if you were somehow not credited as you can contact the people who hired you and ask them to credit you online).

1) Keeping track of things is busywork. It doesn't help get the game made and isn't the primary focus.
2) Keeping track of similar tiles from several sources merged into one tileset can be a nightmare.
3) People tend to focus on one thing at a time. A lot can happen between downloading an asset and writing your credits.
4) People will remember their friends, but not where they got that one spiffy asset from what's his face. . .
5) Just like with Film and TV, mistakes can happen (and can be retroactively addressed).

These reasons are mostly excuses (and these all assume there isn't any ill intent).

Unfortunately there isn't a great universal system where we can copy/paste tiles that carry the metadata of who made them and what the license is with them. That would be great, Ctrl+E to export a nice list of who to credit.

Really it comes down to experience and not working against human nature: a little foresight and keeping a text file with who to credit in the same folder as the assets or something similar can go a long way.

Hyouryuu-Na

Currently Inactive
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bangla/Bengali
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most of these people forget to keep notes of what and whose resources they're using. It's the same for me. I have a 'resources' folder but I have no idea where I got most of it from lmao. I will need to use reverse image search and find the sources of these images later.
Of course, if people are a little less lazy, then they can include the name of the artist/author in the folder or file name for easy remembering. That's a suggestion I myself have to follow :/

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Probably the most common cause is that they saved a lot of resources and forgot where they got them.
Some people put separate resources, for example, they only provide a few icons that you had to merge yourself to be usable. As well as a tileset. As time goes, they could just forget whose icons/tilesets are those.

Not to mention some resources that you had since like 10 years ago, and you forgot to take a note who made the resources. Asked people but they didn't know. Then they used it anyway hoping in case someone pointed out whose resources are those.

This question arises because I see people keep saying something like "credit is appreciated"
Some people consider something too trivial. Which is the reason why "credit is appreciated" probably comes from. If I did something too trivial, I may forget it later time, then I would say "credit is not required, but appreciated", means I probably forgot that if I ever helped someone.

and just saw an expensive plugin offers a much lower price by just give credit to the creator in your game. Which kinda implies crediting is a difficult thing to do?
Now about this, it's a different matter. If you're not crediting someone's work, you probably stole the work. Some people want acknowledgment. Some people saw it as something too trivial. That depends on the Term of Use of each content creator. Some people don't want you to take the part of their code (or their code quirk) without permission and/or credit, some just shrug, and move on. However, the best way is to always give credit, because you don't want to be accused as a thief.

Lei-Ray

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much for the replies guys.
Yes, it is clearly a lot of works to do to keep on track of the asset we used for making the game, and it is understandable that people forget or get tired to record the credit list.
I was actually wondering if there are reasons for people to intentionally not putting a credit, but based on your kindful information, it seems most people simply forgot or lost their track, thank you guys a lot!

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
MV Support is for questions about implementation ("How do I...?")

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I keep track for ppl to give credits in 2 ways, 1 txt file, and 1 for the persons in a seperate folder.
this way I know who to credit.

people that says "credits are appreciated" still get credits of their nice work, but its up to you if you do or not.

People that says "credits is required" should be given for their work, if you do not credit them, you shouldn't
use their resources and should be deleted from your project.

Some people don't care about credit, but like to have a copy of your game as appreciation (free or not)
to see how his/her resources are used to thank them for their stuff how its done and came out.

But if it say "Credits is required" do it, if not, do NOT use their resources "PERIOD".

Hyouryuu-Na

Currently Inactive
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bangla/Bengali
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A lot of people don't also read the 'Terms of Use'. Some resources may be edits of the original resources made by another artist. The one who edited them may have told in the 'Terms of Use' to credit the original author but people who don't read the terms will only credit the one who edited them if they give credit at all. I once converted a Sims 4 custom content to for mmd and posted on Deviantart cause the mmd community really lacks good uniforms. I wrote in the terms of use, "The mesh is made by imadako so you MUST credit imadako" But noh! So many people ignored it and credited only me cause they were too lazy to read the description and just saw who posted the file. I had to go correct them one at a time after that.
People should really read terms of use *sigh*

Lei-Ray

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah personally I record the contributor list by google doc and make a folder for each author's assets with identifiable name, which I personally found out is also a good way to keep on track of the credits

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There aren't really any "good" reasons, IMO.

Generally, with my games, I credit as much as I possibly can, and my mindset is to "be generous" with that. I don't think crediting people hampers a product in any way; I actually think the opposite - a long credits list shows that you're studious, and you're fine with making it clear that your work stands on the shoulder of the work of others.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only good reason not to credit someone is if they say they do not want to be credited and even then its a matter of common courtesy in my opinion.

Sure it's a lot of work to keep track but it's still a lot less work then having to make every resource yourself from scratch which you probably arent even able to... So yeah 'its difficult or time-consuming' isn't really an excuse if you ask me.

Especially if you are going to use it in a commercial game and make money off of other ppls work and all they want is for you to give credit... You'd be an ass if you don't. Period.

8bitBartabas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People are people, there are any number of reasons they don't give credit, but in the end it doesn't help anyone by leaving it off.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I try very hard to record where I get the resources that I use so I can credit the right people. I do have some fear that I will miss someone. It's my hope that I will credit everyone whose resources I've used.

It's not incredibly difficult to record people, but I feel like my list will be LONG.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I try very hard to record where I get the resources that I use so I can credit the right people. I do have some fear that I will miss someone. It's my hope that I will credit everyone whose resources I've used.

It's not incredibly difficult to record people, but I feel like my list will be LONG.
Having a long list is good for that, though. It means if you do accidentally miss someone, a reasonable person can understand that it's a genuine mistake.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think most is unintentional because they forget the notes who are the content creators. However, some resources are like dealing with a lawyer. They demand you put the format which confusing and copyright symbols. (I look at creative common license. Please do not offense to my comment. I am talking about not your guys just want get credit where credit owned.)

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree with the above about why people don't/should include credit. Regarding why some resource creators don't ask for credit, it usually depends on originality. In my page of written resources, I ask for credit for full dialogue scenes and poetry, but no credit is needed for one-liners. Many creators want credit for original works, like making a new spaceship tileset, but credit is not required for RTP edits that use preexisting material. Whether they require credit or not, creators always appreciate being notified and receiving a free copy if you used their resources.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not counting forgetfulness, I'd say it's a mix of laziness and/or a desire to say "YEAH I MADE ALL THIS MYSELF." From my perspective, both are signs of intellectual laziness and an overinflated sense of self worth on behalf of the developer, because it really doesn't take a lot of effort to enter a name into a credits page.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be going live early today as I will be working on some music before I transition to art! When I switch to art, I will be focusing on making a new stream avatar~ Feel free to drop by!
For anyone who has uploaded a game to Steam and wonders if they actually check your game's build when you first upload it, I can personally vouch for Steam.
6 more towns to make in my game. SIX. not done with interiors yet but SIX EXTERIORS.
what to do when you come across a person that has stated "What if I say, f*** their EULA? I could probably get away with it." concerning asset packs sold here... on this site ...
So a guy enters in a bar and walks up to the counter. He looks the bartender with a mysterious look and asks him...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zojin