What are you experience with using a drawing tablet?

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍/ Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
what are you recommend me to buy? What is a drawing tablet that you are comfortable to draw according to your experience? The reason I ask the questions because I am trying to decide which tablet is to draw like on a paper. I also hope someday I will be able to draw a decent digital art by myself. How long do you spend time using the tablet to be able to draw fluidly?

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh! If you want a tablet that's like paper, those are a bit more expensive... I use a Wacom Ciniq which costed well over $1000, but a Wacom Intuos isn't a bad beginners choice. It'll take some getting used to, you'll likely draw smally and to the side at first (but remember, ctrl+T is ya friend for the tilting issue). I'm sure you'll get there and create amazing artwork!

angrychill

Confused Drawer
Reaction score
First Language
Croatian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What exactly are you looking for? You can get cheap Monoprice or Huion graphic tablets which are great both for professionals and beginners, even more so with their prices!

Another option is to buy old Wacom products - they're way more reliable, IMO. For example, Bamboo tablets are pretty robust!

EDIT: As for how long it takes you to get used to a tablet... It really depends. When I started using my old Bamboo Fun tablet, it took me a long time to get used to working comfortably with it (around 2-3 months) because I couldn't see my hand as I was drawing. When I switched over to a Cintiq, I got accustomed to it within a week! It majorly depends on whether you're used to working with a tablet at all and what the tablet is like.

As for digital art - if you already know how to draw, then you can easily make digital art. Don't fret! ^u^

iorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Enjoyable until I lost my pen and staples wanted me to pay 70 dollars to replace it.

Ubiquit

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you are thinking about Wacom tablets, you may find this video helpful.

As I don't have much experience yet, I decided to go with one of the cheapest options for now- Wacom Intuos. Probably over time I will see if I need something more professional, but as an entry point to the tablet drawing I am quite satisfied with this purchase.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have a small wacom intuous tablet; its a number of years old now though so its hardly the most recent release or anything. I found it really difficult to use at first and to be honest I still am not as comfortable drawing with it as I am on paper but I've improved a lot more using it with practice and I do find it a necessity for drawing things like lines. I think how long it takes you to get used to it really will depend on how active you are about practicing with it.

One notable thing about tablet drawing is that you can make use of a pressure sensitivity feature available in art programs like photoshop so that how hard you press when drawing can result in changes of line thickness.

Personally, I'd like to upgrade to something better at some point but it does get the job done for what I want it to do. Biggest complaint really is that it feels a bit small to work on so maybe don't buy the smallest model. I think the small model I bought was like 60-70 dollars or so when I bought it a handful of years ago; not really sure about current pricing on more recent stuff.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I only own Genius Tablet once. I know it's not a top tier tablet out there, but at least I have an experience, that drawing using tablet is .... a whole different experience. Because you see your cursor on screen by moving your hand holding a pen, like you're not actually looking at your hand like you draw in paper. It's awkward, and not like drawing on paper. Although for speed drawing or quick doodling, it's good.

Personally I still prefer to draw on actual paper, having scanner to scan my drawing, and redo everything using mouse for precision. But tablet wins in speed. So if you want to work fast, tablet is an answer.

Again, it was my personal use of using a low tier tablet. Experience might be different with different quality of tablet out there so take it with a grain of salt.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got my first Wacom back in 2003 (Graphire 3) and in later years upgraded to a Cintiq 24' (before downgrading to a Cintiq 13 for portability). I have also used Wacom Intuos and Bamboos over the years. I use a Huion 21' at work as well. I cant even put into words the difference using a tablet monitor made to the speed of my work flow, but if your starting out I would recommend getting a smaller model without the screen.

PitjePitjePitje

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have an ancient intuos 4 that's thankfully still supported, and serves me well enough. I find that when I'm doing detailed pixel work I actually prefer mouse+keyboard, but when I make things in a more painterly style, I prefer using my tablet. As far as getting used to the tablet, I'd say that's dependent on how proficient you are at drawing already. Changing media/tools takes me about a week to get used to muscle-wise, longer for using the new stuff to the fullest. For me the timeframe was similar when getting used to a tablet. Keep in mind this info is deduced from an ancient memory, as I bought the tablet when it was new :o

Idiot

save early, save often, save versions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's definitely hard to get used to at first, but once you've sorta trained yourself to look at the screen instead of your hand (and really getting the hang of keyboard shortcuts), it's a really fun and useful tool to have!

Last edited:

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I have to look at where I'm drawing so I can only use display based drawing tablets which are not cheap...
I never could get used to looking at a screen and not look at where I'm drawing.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have an generic XP pen. (Before that I used medion, huion and pablo). Don't worry about name brands. As long as the tablet works how you like and has features you want run with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ok i got the model New and I will develop a little more, I think my SV is not beautiful yet.
"I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream". In all seriousness, spatial BGM feature is now complete for my audio plugin.
Stream will be live shortly with some game development followed by the return of the Interactive Text Adventure after a short hiatus! Feel free to drop by!
Lately, I've taken to smashing random nouns/verbs together as insults. It's sort of amusing how many people don't really know how to respond to that. You bottle shaker!
Would be nice to pick color code that is not exclusively for message event

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avaross