What are you tired of seeing in RPG Maker games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ain, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Demiqas

Demiqas Veteran Veteran

First of all, he has the right to voice his opinion as much as you have to right to. Second of all, the right to voice your opinion doesn't mean everyone's forced to agree or even listen to it in the first place.

cmgamesofficial likes this.
  2. cmgamesofficial

cmgamesofficial Learner Veteran

First Language:
    Taglish
    Fight between opinions again but sir is it funny that he/she is telling me that my opinion is not right by putting his own opinion and correcting my own opinion?

My opinion is that a normal swordsman without any magic can never cast a fire, ice, thunder etc spells. That is MY opinion. And DUST for me is different than the usual RM games I've seen. These are all my opinion. Voicing his own opinion and telling me that my opinion is wrong is..I don't know.

I am disagreeing with him/her too..and there's nothing wrong about it either.

3. aboynamedearth

aboynamedearth Onion Knight Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Reading through this thread, it seems that the primary annoyances come from bad or lazy writing, ranging from half-baked characters laden with tropes from their favorite shows or franchises, to all sorts of world building mistakes.

I've participated in a lot of writing workshops (primarily short stories) and I've noticed that folks generally tend to work with a character in their head, only to immediately toss them onto the page without further consideration. So if you're reading this thread looking for suggestions on how to avoid some of the more egregious story-breaking material, maybe you'll find these useful:

1. Workshop your characters with others. Write up a small scene for this character. Figure out a problem for them to solve. You want to know the nuances of their thoughts, not just some baseline "generic" motivation, right? These little details keep them from falling into the trap of having a singular character trait that creates that sort of "Flat Character" that's mentioned previously in this thread. Most importantly: let other folks read it! You might know exactly what your character is like (in your own head), but are you conveying that in a way that the player/reader can understand?

Exercises like these can help you see if some of your decisions make sense in the world that you're building too! I've had many friends read something that I was really proud of, only to be told that "Hey, character A did this thing and it literally makes no sense." or "Why on earth does character B have this ability, you've never set a precedent as to why that's even possible." This sort of process keeps you honest, and your players will thank you for being consistent, while not treating them like idiots.

2. Organize! This one is hard. I use Evernote (free) to keep notebooks on every character I write about. Character profiles are honestly great ways to start the development process, and having a sort of notebook "sketchpad" is so helpful for just processing ideas - even if they don't work for a particular character you can always recycle it into a different one later!

Here's an example of the beginings of one of my unfinished profiles. Notice that I still have tons of questions to answer? Also forgive my horrid writing and grammar. When I sketch, I sort of let my ideas flow out and don't consider how it's read, haha
      example.png
      Anyway, I'm primarily a writer, so as far as system design or whatever goes, I imagine I wouldn't be much help there. Hope this adds to the topic productively.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
  4. Little Adventurer

Little Adventurer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's very useful!

That reminds me, I should find a template for character profiles.

5. Ygdrassill

Ygdrassill Game dev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Like you said, it's unbelievable, for you. Not everyone is going to feel the same way about this as you do, there is no pleasing everyone. Granted this can be said about every single comment made in this post, but that isn't the point. You are doing the exact thing you said he was doing. You said he said your opinion was wrong, but you basically did the same thing. 

6. Tigersong

Tigersong Furry Fellow Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, I guess I'll add my two cents. I'm kind of tired of seeing games on Steam that obviously were made with RPG Maker, but aren't labeled as such. So a buyer who's used RPG Maker knows it, but the average Joe won't know a thing. Either way, the engine isn't getting any promotion out of the deal.

The Art of Gaming likes this.
  7. TheOriginalFive

TheOriginalFive Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's due to the stigma that RPGMaker is used to make subpar games that some won't label their end products as an RPGMaker project.

8. Azurecyan

Azurecyan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The quest to find a rare herb/medicine that's only been heard of in legends will heal an unknown disease/disease of ancient times/incurable disease.

Romanticist likes this.
  9. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe Ghost of a Princess Seagull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm tired of, "I'm a monster, so I kill you. The end"

10. Little Adventurer

First Language:
    English
    Well usually I justify it as self defense. Hey, you humans wandered into my territory! How dare you?! 

11. aboynamedearth

aboynamedearth Onion Knight Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

As long as the justification is plausible, it works! Having reasons is one thing, but making that reason believable is another.

Why so protective of their territory, for example? Do they have a longstanding hatred for outsiders because of previous encounters? Are they isolationists and just downright scared of literally anything that isn't part of their tribe/group/family/culture? All these little things are important.

It's frustrating as a player to exit a scene completely unsure as to why anything is/was happening.

12. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Bland mapping and overly ambitious mechanics/features that are unbalanced/don't function properly and are only added for the sake of "hey, look at how cool I am!".

13. Chrispy

Chrispy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I always though the monster killed the humans that look different and speak a different language because they look different and speak a different language.

14. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French

It depends on the intellect level of your monsters, but basically, looking at nature (and even human interactions), just "You look different than me and I don't understand you/what you want" easily leads to fear which leads to all-out aggression. Go wander on a bear's territory and see what happens. And it's totally understandable: you're a strange creature, he doesn't understand you, you look menacing. It might even have already had negative experiences with humans. Who's to blame it for not wanting you on his turf? It's even more stupid with humans: "The people of this neighboring tribe have slightly bigger nose and have that custom we don't understand and label as stupid, let's go kill them for being heathens". Of course, you could question the validity of that 500th monster of the same tribe attacking you beside the corpses of its brethren, but that's another matter entirely :p

15. SLEEP

SLEEP grunge rock cloud strife Veteran

First Language:
    emglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    the screaming abyss which hollers about how death is the only certainty in life. can devs STOP putting this in games?? or at least make it so i can mute it?? thank u :)  

16. Little Adventurer

First Language:
    English
    Uhhh... can you give us an example? Because the only time I can picture that is if the heroes are visiting the underworld or something hell-ish where in death you simply just don't exist anymore.

AwesomeCool likes this.
  17. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    The only one I can think of is in World of Warcraft... Maybe someone spent too much time in the Howling Fjord.

</wownerd>

18. Demiqas

Demiqas Veteran Veteran

Trying out some more games in the completed games section.. The lack of testing that is done after finishing a game. It is very obvious with certain games that the author didn't even play through the first 5 minutes of their own game, because there's a game breaking bug that doesn't allow you to progress. Not to mention the horrible amound of typos. Test your game lads, please.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
    JAD94, AwesomeCool and taarna23 like this.
  19. Chrispy

Chrispy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Final Fantasy IX, which shoehorns in the life crystal at the end of the game for no reason, which further shoehorns in the Necron, a god that's all about death being the only certainty in life, so much so that it wants to end all of existence right there, and almost does by quoting Star Wars. While I love this game, that final final boss literally had no purpose other than to talk about death and non-existence.

20. Little Adventurer

First Language:
    English
    Okay. One example. I've never heard of that trope.