What are you tired of seeing in RPG Maker games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ain, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Twisted Crow

Twisted Crow Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would say that it frustrates me when a game cannot decide what it is. You can't warn me about a boss one moment, then spring one on me without warning the next. You can't just suddenly start narrating out of nowhere like we haven't been through 20-30 hours of narration-free game. You can't present your game as if it has this cool "synthesizing" or item smithing system like it is this major feature for the game and barely have it in the game at all. Truly great games are somewhat consistent in the rules, relatively speaking.

Baldur's Gate was brutal to the new player, to a point where it provided very little hand-holding after leaving the starting home 'Candlekeep'. But it was consistent. From the get-go, the player discovers that it is going to be that kind of game. Then there is Skyrim, which spoon-fed everything to the player. Items, characters, even entire adventures dropped on their lap with minimal player effort to thrust into them. Still it reasonably consistent in identity from beginning to end. And that is what a successful game does, it stays true to an identity from beginning to end.

It's when games have mood swings and can't decide what the rules are. From game mechanics to storytelling. It's jarring when a JRPG suddenly wants to be a platformer or something after more than halfway through.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Twisted Crow : YES! I hate it when a game changes midway for no reason. I'll list the two worst offenders here in spoilers:

I should state I always play as a warrior or a mage in first person games, as I'm not gifted with great vision and have a few uncorrectable eye issues. So imagine how upset I was when the final battle required me to play a ranger aka snipe the dragon with a crossbow to win the game. There's a reason I don't play archer characters and when I play FPS I use guns that don't require precision shots (rocket launchers, machine gun, etc), so DON'T force me to be a precision shot all of a sudden.

If you've been on here a while you know how much I hate mandatory mini-games. Imagine how thrilled I was when World of Final Fantasy threw 5 mandatory mini-games in Chapter 21 of the game (the final chapter). I never did finish that game as I couldn't get past the stupid twichy mini-games. Look, if I want to play an arcade twitch game I'll go play an arcade twitch game not an RPG!

kaukusaki, Twisted Crow and Frogboy like this.
  3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Putting features for the sake of putting them instead of being actually useful for the game itself..

It's better to have a game with a few features that work together than having a game with a lot of features that dont match...

and putting tons of skills that end up unused..

4. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm the opposite on this one. I hate sideview battles when they're done badly, which I've seen far too often. Tiny protagonists on one side; on the other, a lovingly detailed frog or whatever, ten times as big yet we're meant to believe it's only two feet high. I'd take frontview over that any day.

5. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Practically, using different styles for the characters vs enemies... I do kinda hate that too.

Romanticist likes this.
  6. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Another downvote for ATB systems. Overused, overdone, not tactically effective. I'll take the default "Fill in your order and submit" system over that.

A lot of tell and not showing. Cutscenes with the sprites moving about can be a chore to make, but it's better than watching a steady maquette with lots of scrolling dialog.

Twisted Crow likes this.
  7. dorrismillerrr123

dorrismillerrr123 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A huge problem is that you need to get a script for many actions. want to make a chargeable attack well you better? get a script for it, whats that you want more then 999 premater limit? get a script for it. what you want a debugger? get a script for it
    what you want to see why exactly your script crash? get a script for it.
    I seen nothing good come with base rpgmaker NOTHING.

8. durrrrrrrrrr

durrrrrrrrrr one poster Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, when a game has 300 features that are only used once, that's detrimental to the game imo.

9. Twisted Crow

Twisted Crow Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think some try too much to hide the "seams" in RPG Maker games, too. I mean, I like games with polish but some games can be proof in the pudding that it can be "obviously another RPG Maker game" while showing it's own personal heart to leave a lasting impression. Skyborn and other RPG Maker games have done this. They aren't without sin (I'm pretty critical sometimes :p) but they are still wonderful experiences that I remember fondly. Why? Because I can often tell when the designer(s) put their heart into them or when they just want to slap things together and put a price tag on it.

I like a good 15-20+ hours of story and gameplay in an RPG Maker game. A good healthy ratio of the two. It makes me sad when I see that "gameplay" is drawn out because of things like "maze dungeons" with

A. ) Little to nothing interesting in them.

OR

B. ) Little to no thought or purpose as to why the dungeon is designed like a boring labyrinth (other than dragging the player in a tedious slog to pad that playtime a bit).

Those can work in Action/Adventure games like Zelda: A Link to the Past or something. But not too well with games that use RPG Maker's built in combat system. Or vintage series games that play that way (Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, etc.). That relationship system you worked on? The one that changes up party dynamic, even giving them some unique abilities when they become close friends or whatever? That's some gameplay. Those mini-games you implemented in the adventure? That's gameplay. Ways to spice up the default battle systems to make growth fun? Gameplay. The boring trek in what should be a natural-ish cavern that feels more like a man-made rat maze? No. Not gameplay. That's work. Give the player an adventure, not a job that feels too much like... well, a job. A big dungeon can be fun to explore with more stuff in it other than hallways. ;)

I am reminded of Fable II, actually. Though I loved that game, it sort-of commits a similar sin you mentioned with Two Worlds II.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  10. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When NPC dialogue use jokes that don't fit with the rest of the setting, or devs try shoehorning a meme-of-the-month that reference other media in the game in lieu of writing their own brand of dialogue.
    For instance anything parroting "arrow to the knee".
    Not that easter eggs and reference's can't be funny, just they tend to be implemented by people not realizing why the originals were endearing in the first place; and it can break the immersion of the actual story.

Romanticist likes this.
  11. DJK1NG_Gaming

DJK1NG_Gaming Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For me its
    - Front View Battle System - I want to see my characters attack.
    - Using DLC or Default Characters - Basically no original characters
    - A Party Member that is said to be strong and skilled but starts the game at Level 1.
    Or a skilled main characters start the game at Level 1 with no skills or abilities.
    - Too many equipments
    - Forced Difficulty or all bosses having move that deals multiple hits to all party
    - Boring Maps - Inside Houses or Buildings doesn't match exterior.
    - Lack of actual good RPG for RPG Maker MV.

There so much I can list but that would take too long.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  12. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    - Spamming your game with Moghunter (or other graphical) scripts to make it look pretty but using all of the default settings.
    - Ridiculous item names. (Unless you're trying to be funny)
    - Really slow combat (Player takes 9 years to walk over to enemy, eons between each turn, etc.)
    - Thee and Thine. That's not even how medieval people actually talked.
    - Random monsters that drop tons of money for some reason.
    - Theme1 (for Ace) or Theme6 (for MV)
    - Using nothing but Tolkien/WoW races for every single character and following all of the tropes.

Romanticist likes this.
  13. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    This isn't my biggest pet peeve ever, but I noticed when an RPG has a non-human playable character, it's usually some type of cat. Usually it's a lion, sometimes it's a house cat or a tiger or something along those lines, but it just baffles me how common lions are. I don't mind them being in games, in fact, I'm always wishing for more non-human characters in games and lions and cats are better than nothing for me, at the same time I would love to see something more exotic like an anteater or a prehensile tail porcupine. I can't help but feel like lions are kind of a boring animal compared to most animals.

14. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Darth Equus : What, you don't want to play legend of final scrolling text fantasy? :)

@HexMozart88 : I think the reason you hear those so much is they are the few provided battle musics that don't make the ears bleed (in my opinion) so they get used a lot as a result. The best way to prevent that is to help others find good battle musics though, else the problem will continue.

@Benny Jackdaw : I think that is because most people own a cat or a dog, so those are the easiest animals for them to understand. Getting more creative than that would require a lot of research into it, which is usually not an investment most are going to make unless the game is about nothing but animals.

15. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp I was actually referring to the title themes, not the battle themes. I find there to be a bit more variation as far as which battle themes are used, but I keep opening up a game to hear an obnoxious and cheesy intro theme which is what irritates me (though, honestly, whenever I hear Theme1 I pretty much always burst out laughing).

Romanticist likes this.
  16. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @HexMozart88 : Ah, yeah I know what you mean there. I'll admit to using the cheesy themes as a placeholder while making the game, but I do get it replaced later on.

As for RTP musics in general, I do try to alter the pitch at least, which is a good way to make them sound differently. For instance, about any RTP music sounds really different at pitch 50, 75, 125 or 150. Some sound really bad too at those points, but you can get some neat sounding pieces that will not just scream RTP to everyone if you do that.

17. HexMozart88

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ah, Town5. I've heard it pitched up a few times, so I recognize it, but I'll admit I might not if I hadn't heard it used like that so much. I make my own, so I don't use it for songs, but it is helpful for SE, especially re-purposing them to be something else (for example, my game has a pitched up Item1 as a confirm noise.)
    Also, yeah, I have used placeholder themes for games before. I used Theme2 for my game for a while and now I can't listen to it without thinking of my really awful title screen I had. :aswt:

Romanticist likes this.
  18. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    @bgillisp
    I'm pretty sure most people don't own a lion, though.

HexMozart88 likes this.
  19. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Benny Jackdaw : True, but they can extrapolate based on owning a cat. There will be differences, true, but it's a better starting point than say an alligator.

@HexMozart88 : I've actually never heard it pitched up before myself. Maybe you've played more RPGMaker games than I have.

As for the subject of placeholders, I just use whatever I can stand to hear as I'm testing my game for the 14156th time. Then once things get more finalized then I look into replacing them with other musics. Though if you are playing demos, you might still get the placeholder versions for the music as they are testing proof of idea on an audience, so in that case you may hear the same RTP musics over and over and over and over and...

Romanticist likes this.
  20. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    You mean none of you folks rip and use tracks from games so old or from companies that folded, that their rights are basically in limbo?

Don't look at me like that; it's not like I have two or three (dozen) tracks from obscure Turbo Grafx CD games playing in my game. No, sir. Nope. Nu-huh.

Romanticist likes this.