Results are only viewable after voting.

Doogerie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am currently using RPG Maker MV to make a game (I assume most people are) I just find it a relly fun and easy (compaird to Unity) engen to use. But i a shoure that there are other peopl using older vrsions of RPG maker and other development inviroments on here so what are you using and why?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
VX Ace because right now Im still more comfortable with it, especially since I pretty much can do what I want using RGSS3 while I still need to study JavaScript if I'm gonna do everything I've done/doing in Ace into MV. Also, the game/s I'm working on have already been started on Ace so I'd rather finish them in there first.

so yeah VX Ace coz Im an oldie here wahahahahaha

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
VXAce. Short version of the reason: Because it's already sufficient with what I need. I don't need to jump to MV since I don't need their extra functionalities.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV. I considered VX Ace, but since I'm starting from scratch, thought I'd use the best and latest.

I do have to say that I absolutely hate the sprites... VX Ace sprites are better.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wish there were an option for more...

My project started on the VX Ace Engine, but I ported much of it over to MV when it released, because I found features in MV I liked better and let me realize my vision a lot more clearly than VX Ace did.

That being said...

I have a game started in all the RPG Makers.

RPG Maker 2000
RPG Maker 2003
RPG Maker XP
RPG Maker VX
RPG Maker VX Ace
RPG Maker MV
Fes RPG Maker
Visual Novel Maker

Though, to be fair, they all take place in the same "Universe" and using the same setting. So, perhaps it's just that the story I want to tell is very large and requires several makers to explore it to my own heart's content. :D

Still, my main game I'm attempting to finish is on MV. The others get minor work from time to time, but I do nothing serious on them in order to avoid the problem of "never finishing a game". Minor work tends to be storyboarding and feature designs.

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ace as it has finished scripts of the functions I need for my game idea.

DarlesLSF

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I started using Rm2k when i was 17 years old and stopped with 18y/o. Now im with 26 y/o and come back to use my 8 bits friends again haha
So, im using 2k3 atm, just for remember the old times again :p
Maybe in the future i will use VX or MV.

That's my current project (im making the spells part right now):

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Ace, because I don't need the extra stuff from MV, (like bugs and lags :p)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV because I'm a JavaScript developer.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
MV.
It's a solid engine now and works very well for me.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
XP because my only working computer runs WinXP right now >_> otherwise I'd be on VXA. The XP machine can run VXA but because of paltry RAM (and my habit of overclocking things) it tends to crash out often and I'm sick of constantly redoing work. For web games I'd be using MV and though I know JS and HTML I don't have time to do it by scratch. I use the makers as rapid development kits. So right now it's PC titles =_=)

Last edited:

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Godot.
C# should be ready by 3.1 so mainly working with GDScript right now.

Example of GDScript
Code:
func _process(delta):
    if (dash_cool_down_u > 0):
        dash_cool_down_u = dash_cool_down_u - 1 * delta
    else:
        dash_button_count_u = 0
func _input(event):
if (event.is_action_pressed("ui_up")):
    if (dash_cool_down_u > 0 && dash_button_count_u == 1):
        print("double tapped Up")
    else:
        dash_cool_down_u = 0
        dash_button_count_u = dash_button_count_u + 1

ShinNessTen

Valedictorian of Wonderland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I'm in the lost camp nobody can find anymore. The VX (original) camp.

I was mostly stuck, because I couldn't let a certain script go, because it had a (probably unintentional) feature I liked that I didn't see in any of the newer engines... script wise.

But I'm not too flustered about it anymore, because I finally managed to pull a big one and make something neat, that I can finally agree on.

Here's a little preview I made:

It showcases my ability to event and make things look rad :p

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ShinNessTen I don't understand about your reason of script wise. Watched the demo and pretty sure all of those are already available in VXAce. Tell me which one you need? we have ATB, we have sideview battle system, we have talking message face, some also required a minor edit that should be easy to do.

You're not as deep as @richter_h in terms of staying in old engine in script wise.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why is this in General Lounge? It is a game related discussion, so I'm going to move it to General Discussion.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MV for me because it serves my needs better by being multi platform, uses JS, and just general flexibility. Previous versions of RM are Windows only without jumping through hoops and uses Ruby which is a language not commonly found within gaming (with RGSS being a proprietary version of it to). Without MV, I would just continue using Unity for projects.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV because I'm a JavaScript developer.
This right here. :D

I don't know Ruby or whatever VXA uses and was all ready to learn until I found MV and saw that it used something I'm familiar with.

That, and using the latest iteration of something is always best. More support, more modern compatibility, latest innovations, etc.

ShinNessTen

Valedictorian of Wonderland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@TheoAllen Tankentai has a weird (in)ability to process how the Guard command works, so if you press command, you basically have it activated even if it's someone elses turn at the moment (even when someone is performing an action). I'm pretty sure you could reflect that in the recent Makers somehow, but I'm so deep into my project, that switching would only be a hassle and another whole year of work, basically. I'd have to switch out tons of scripts for new ones, make them compatible, work with the new way of skill making in Ace (which I would choose, if I could), basically rewrite every single important common event and make everything compatible. That would take tons of time out of my schedule, not to mention I am on the final stages of finishing the game.

I also have developed a basic structure/formula on how my games look in VX like 4 years ago, when I didn't felt the need to switch to ACE.
I probably should've switched during that time, anyway. :/

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ShinNessTen fair enough, if you've worked on your game for years, you probably better to stick around with it. Although you should have said because it was your project, porting it to new engine isn't time efficient. But instead you mentioned that it was because of script, which all your points about that can be done in newer engine. Even there're Tankentai and "Tankentai clone" for VXA if you're looking for the similar feel of the battle system (can't speak of MV, but Yan's action sequence is popular).

Dankovsky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
RU
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a fun question because while I think most people nowadays use MV, there are lots of people who still use ACE for various reasons (I think ACE release is when there was the biggest boom of rpg makers? also lots and lots of resources and scripts are available, and many people are apparently very uncomfortable changing engines, that's why there are still many RM2k/2003/XP games).

Ironically, I feel like today there are more completed ACE games coming out than MV games.
Not sure how this makes sense, or maybe my perception is just flawed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Latest member to OcRam -plugin suite: OcRam_Layers! Optimized parallax layers (for parallax mapping?) + dynamic layers which can be used in title-, battle and map scenes!
People convinced me to use my old graphics for this new project, i guess i can't run away from blender just yet. https://gyazo.com/2a105847c042bb78c6d4919ec1308660
10/24 done :3 Maybe I can finish 11 and 12 this weekend^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ninnaeis