TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think ACE release is when there was the biggest boom of rpg makers?
It was. Back when RGSS series only up to RGSS2, people were spit into two group of RMXP and RMVX because both were flawed. People were insisting to use XP because of superior mapping, VX only had fixed tileset. But it has nice script structure that compatibility is even higher in between script and it also has pick faceset in display message. And simpler mapping sells better for those who lazy to map. People were argued with their preference, and rm2k/3 users could just say "Well, I use eventing".

The time Ace was released, it was revolutionary that previous flaws from VX was gone, and it really the VX should be. With new convenient databasing, damage formula, a neat script structure allow more flexibility that in my view it unites the RM users. Now with the release of MV, I could even say the structure of the engine itself is pretty much the same. RGSS3 default script structure and js files are pretty much the same, but with difference that MV got more QoL update on its editor and update support that was never been done in older version of RM.

As for resources, yeah we were using VX standard resources and we can also use XP one too. Effectively adds 2008 to 2015 worth of community made resources. MV only has 3 years so far.

But I have no idea how people would still stick on the old rm2k3, I wasn't there during the era so idk.

FoxySeta

Cleric, script kiddie and fudanshi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lol I'm the only VNM loner:kaocry:

Latefallen

90% of the time, my code works 100% of the time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
For a career I'm a Javascript developer so you'd think MV.

But no, I'm using VX.

richter_h

Eh? Sweetroll?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I use VX. Not the Ace one; the good ol' plain VX one. Some called me a madman because of this decision.

Why? It's simply because of the number of works to be done shall I move to newer versions of RPG Maker. How much? Basically, it's almost rewriting portions of the base scripts and make some new ones (note that the Ruby version used by VX is the old, now-obsolete-but-still-working one). The probability to port'em all is slim--I'd rather make new scripts out of that, which might take another five years to make a system similar to what I currently have in VX.

I mean, I could, but I don't. Besides, it's more like a challenge to make a game with the forgotten, often despised stepsister of RPG Maker family.

In the other side, I used VX Ace and MV for some projects a couple of years ago. Still, I hold my VX close.

bigcalsworld

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm using VX Ace, because it was the newest one out at the time I bought it. In a sale :p. I probably had it for like a year before I even started making a game, and since then I've taken a long time to get to where I'm at now (only just completing the first chapter lol). Damn mental health issues stopping me working on the game as often as I want!!!

atoms

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I had to pick one, it's MV at the moment. As right now I'm hoping to make a game on MV with a good amount of content. I have used VX Ace fairly recently though, about a month ago I was playing around with it and I may come back to it in the future.

onipunk

Archmage of Procrastination
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
MV currently, because I develop strategy RPGs and Lecode's TBS is significantly more fleshed out and fully-featured than Gubid's system for VX. Because of that leaning towards SRPGs though, I've been tooling around in Game Maker Studio to see if it's more appropriate for certain planned projects and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of FEXNA because it's tailored to making Fire Emblem style games rather than the Final Fantasy Tactics-style small-scale battles of LeTBS. I also downloaded the demo of SRPG Studio the other day and while it seems pretty decent, it's not very good at conveying what all of its various options and features mean so it could benefit from additional usability. Essentially, I'll use whatever engine is right for the game I'm making, and right now that happens to be MV because of Lecode's brilliant work.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
It was. Back when RGSS series only up to RGSS2, people were spit into two group of RMXP and RMVX because both were flawed. People were insisting to use XP because of superior mapping, VX only had fixed tileset. But it has nice script structure that compatibility is even higher in between script and it also has pick faceset in display message. And simpler mapping sells better for those who lazy to map. People were argued with their preference, and rm2k/3 users could just say "Well, I use eventing".

The time Ace was released, it was revolutionary that previous flaws from VX was gone, and it really the VX should be. With new convenient databasing, damage formula, a neat script structure allow more flexibility that in my view it unites the RM users. Now with the release of MV, I could even say the structure of the engine itself is pretty much the same. RGSS3 default script structure and js files are pretty much the same, but with difference that MV got more QoL update on its editor and update support that was never been done in older version of RM.

As for resources, yeah we were using VX standard resources and we can also use XP one too. Effectively adds 2008 to 2015 worth of community made resources. MV only has 3 years so far.

But I have no idea how people would still stick on the old rm2k3, I wasn't there during the era so idk.
MV still has some issues that have been somewhat resolved, pixi.js was a bad choice and at least they fixed that with Pixel Game Maker (which all the excitement basically died in a week...) so hopefully cocos2dX is used in the next engine or for the love of god just have proper desktop support and use C#, Swift, Squirrel, Haxe, or Python (Python and Ruby are different but the structure is similar). With C# you have all your basis covered, and nobody is creating expansive RPGs for HTML5...

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Rukiri As a C# developer, I second the idea of the next RM using C#. I am not getting my hopes up though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Actor2_8 added!

Nothing better than commissioning art and it turns out like 500% better than you could ever have imagined!
Today we reveal new plugins and tools!
Ugh. Some days you're the car... and some days you're the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mopopolobos