What are you working on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PK8, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyCrab

CrazyCrab Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Currently I've finished most of my 1st area and I'll be moving onto eventing the 1st couple of missions along with a tutorial.

I'm quite happy with my maps, but I'm still polishing them over and over - I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to mapping ^_^

Current city outline - 1st district:

[​IMG]

All the buildings can be entered and have been mapped separately - one example:

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy with the results so far  :)

Palsa likes this.
  2. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Working on scenarios to make the player make choices that change their reputation during the first chapter of the game when they are assembling their team.

The reputation then determines which of the potential recruits are willing to join up. When one point on the graph is raised it goes up by 2 points while the one opposite it on the graph decreases by 1 point. The player can't just max out the graph, but with some thought they can get both sides to grow.

[​IMG]
    The explanation for the Reputation system's arrangement in "Bibliotheca Arcanum":

Intelligence <-> Courage

Intelligence and Courage are not mutually exclusive, but they do balance each other.
    Courage without Intelligence means jumping in without thinking things through.
    Intelligence without Courage means standing back and thinking when you need to be acting.

Kindness <-> Anger

Kindness and Anger are not mutually exclusive, but they do balance each other.
    Kindness without Anger frequently results in being pushed around or taken advantage of.
    Anger without Kindness results in lashing out without justification whenever something happens.

Wisdom <-> Combativeness

Wisdom and Combativeness are not mutually exclusive, but they do balance each other.
    Wisdom without Combativeness means knowing what is right, but not acting on it.
    Combativeness without Wisdom means jumping in wherever a challenge is perceived without knowing which side is in the right.

3. Needle

Needle Sharp as a Tack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Spent most of the day building a custom sprite for a boss battle - a giant mutant plant guy. My style doesn't really mesh too well with the RTP style, but it will have to do for now. Drawn on paper, built segment by segment in Adobe Flash, then recompiled into frames in Photoshop. The final version has a drop shadow and slight color correction.

[​IMG]

Sharm and Palsa like this.
  4. frrrosty

frrrosty Spiteful Crow Member

First Language:
    English
    Pixel art!  I'm still doing the bases for my characters.  I'm hoping to have a game done by the first week of August but who knows.

5. Palsa

Palsa General of Aurda Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've been playing arround with TISFAT, which is a program for creating stick figure based animations.

[​IMG]

The nice thing is that you can create a custom figure, and can also use your own graphics if you want.

I think it may be useful for making some nice animation references for battle sprites.

So far the only gripe that I have with the program, is lack of PNG export, and that there should be an option to change the length and size of each part to go along with the movement.

For an example: making the chest cavity bigger to simulate breath, or making the arm shorter for when it is facing the camera.

If both of those issues were taken care of, then it could easily be used to assemble sprite parts as well as provide a nice animation.

Anyway, if this pays off then I might be using this to help produce a few sprites, if not then I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way. :)

[Edit]

It took a bit of work, but here is a quick test for a female character taunting her opponent:

[​IMG]
    I would only use the above as a reference if I were to sprite this, and do the actual drawing in my graphics editor.

Perhaps I'll try doing that sometime soon for the fun of it. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  6. Omega Weapon

Omega Weapon AKA Laura Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Trying to figure out how to do a Rush Hour/Moving Blocks-style puzzle in RPG Maker

7. XPKobold

XPKobold Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Working on a mountain area for connection to a waterfall in a previous map in game screenshots thread five.

8. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Working on getting my brain to realize that it's not crunch time anymore. *chews on the wall*

Diego2112 and Kes like this.
  9. Diego2112

Diego2112 The Gaming Gamer Who Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm in the same boat.  Stressed so long about it, now that it's over, it feels like something's missing if Ace ain't running, know what I mean?  (Dear (Insert deity(s) of choice here), I'm getting as bad with "Know what I mean" as James Hetfield with "Ya know?" Need to work on that)

Right now I'm actually tuning up the ol' gee-tar, getting ready to bust out some ambient loopage with my RC-50 and a super sweet phase shifter set to a 270 degree wave pattern.  *Nods*

I can make some CRAAAAAAAAAAZY sh*t, man.  It's like, "Hey, trippy wanna trip?" and Trippy is like "Yeah brah, let's do this thang!"  and so I do.  (If that makes no sense, listen to more prog rock (bands like Yes, ELP, and Porcupine Tree are good starts in that field-also EARLY Styx-albums like Styx, Styx II, Man of Miracles, Serpent is Rising, and Equinox era-Styx)).

Galenmereth likes this.
  10. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know what you mean with no Ace open. And I also know what you mean with trippy prog rock :3 Although I prefer noise rock when I want to zone out (mmmm Melt Banana). But I can dig it both.

Diego2112 likes this.
  11. Diego2112

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    OH!  I just got all the feels ever!  My daughter came running up to me JUST NOW and asked "So are you going to play your game, daddy?" (meaning VX Ace, working on things, that sort of stuff-she "helped" me on some of it, and knows I'd been working hard on it) and when I told her I was NOT, because the game is done, and submitted, she's like "But daddy!  I want to watch you play your game!  It's FUNNY!"

DAMMIT FEELS!

So now I'm working on helping her with her first map!

12. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's awesome Xenos :D

Diego2112 likes this.
  13. Diego2112

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

Here's her first map!  She got bored pretty quickly (she's only five), but still, for a kid, and someone who's NEVER used anything even REMOTELY similar to this program before, she did alright (I mean, she needs to work on placement of items and stuff, but still).  I had to walk her though shift clicking, as well as event creation (no dialogue or anything, they just walk around), but she picked up on it!  She surely did!

14. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    D'aw, man, that's adorable.  By the way you had better be okay. ;-;

I'm working on music! It feels good to compose again! <3 More music for my main project.  Also, I'm writing!

15. DavidGil

DavidGil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Working on a project that I'd like to be fairly long and, only in the sense of dialog options for roleplaying and branching paths, reminiscent of the old rpgs like Baldur's Gate. Working on it my own and it's the first project I'm really going for after messing around with the software. If I can keep at it, as motivation and sticking with something are problems with me (perfectionism and such), I'll eventually settle on a title of 'A Land Apart' or 'The Savior'.

Currently, I've barely started things though as I was messing around with learning parallax mapping. Which led to this map being created:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oevn2s0c3qxr1c/Map.png

Of course, it's hardly finished, but I was quite proud of the effect I managed when it comes to getting the log behind the tree and the tree behind the house. Beginner stuff, I know, but I'm unused to using photo editing software and I haven't got any artistic skill when it comes to graphics or drawing.

However, it honestly took me hours and hours to set up. The trees might not be attractive either the way they are set out, but I wanted them that way to funnel the player in a certain direction (it's the first area, so . . .) Also, with me still being new despite logging 178 hours on Steam apparently, I think the layer scripts might be too fiddly for me to get used to, though I did get the parallax scroll lock and region lock scripts working.

So, this led to me creating this map in the RPG Maker software:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ocqx03hi69veuj/Map%20created%20in%20the%20toolset.png

I managed to set it up in a fraction of the time. Ideally, I think it's the best route for me to take, because parallaxing can be rather time consuming especially if every map is done in that manner and I can control the layering/passability much more easily. I can actually work on getting a game up and running too rather than spending all the time on the mapping and never actually having a game to show.

Granted, I'm not keen on the way I've set out the bushes etc. to block off the paths, but when you're working alone and with limited resources, you can't have everything really. Of course, the option is there to remove said barriers so it looks more natural. But as the map's 90 x 84, plus the first map, I figured it'd be a bit difficult to traverse without much guidance.

(I know you can use event graphics to have objects in front of each other, but I'm totally unaware of how many events I can get away with being present without lag.)

Edit: I'm pretty stupid today. Just realised I could just edit the tilesets in Gimp to get the look I want without parallaxing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  16. Galenmereth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm reading suggestions by players and sketching up my own plans for the expansion of The Vendor. Yes, already... I can't let it go :D So right now, I'm working on a quality of life improvement that will be a "medium" version bump (that is, 1.1.0) that will affect balance a bit, so it needs some time. Right now the game is balanced around the gold in the Heroes' pockets and you setting whatever price you want, while being mindful of their total gold. What I want to implement is haggling--where they will want to buy something for a certain range. To make it simple:

You say the Broccoli is worth 9 gold

Witch says "Haha. No. I'll give you 4"

You say you want 7

Witch says "5"

You say you want 6

Witch says "No. 5 is final."

You can decline or accept.

At any point you could accept their price (like selling it for 4) or decline, but haggling is part of driving the price up or down. Obviously this changes the core balance in the game and might not be as interesting on the surface. I'm experimenting with having the personalities affect the haggling. As some of you may know, The Thief likes to whisper to himself all sneakily--but just loud enough for you to hear it. The Warrior isn't really a haggler--he just wants to eat the broccoli right now. Having personalities affect haggling mentality could be lots of fun, but I'm still testing this :) That is what I'm working on, though~

17. LordSquirrel

LordSquirrel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've been working on balancing out the first couple of areas in my game, and I've also been doing some amateur spiriting and icon making for vx ace.

18. Tokumei No

Tokumei No Kojima Fan Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    I am actually working on some kind of simulator, with strong elements of poin-and-click adventures and RPG 

19. Cadh20000

Cadh20000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Trying to beat the head-/neck-/back-aches that have been making it impossible to concentrate the last couple days so I can get back to work on a request.

Piece of advice, I'll happily take suggestions with no time limits, but requests with deadlines tend to be a bad idea. I have a nasty little habit of getting sidetracked...

Ms Littlefish likes this.
  20. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep. After doing IGMC the main thing I've learned is that deadlines (especially for a hobby) is a terrible idea. I like helping others but I'll procrastinate at my own pace. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.