BertsCafe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So as part of getting into the spirit of Game Dev, since my wife and I are very much into our Square Games, we decided while taking the time to learn new skills for Development (for me, it's Coding & Pixel Art and for her she's rediscovering Digital Art!) that we'd dig deep and study the various mechanics of JRPGs of old.

And so today I ask you all - what are your fave turn based JRPGs? What console(s) are they available on?

For context, I'm looking to find some new games I've not previously played so that we can sit and play these together during our sort of down time.

I've played all the Final Fantasy games to absolute death at this point, but I'm looking at other games developed in the same kind of era that I haven't played as well. And also newer turn based games too.

Wifey's currently playing through the first Lunar game, and it's the first time I've seen a Side View Battle System like that and that's exactly why we're doing this - expand the horizons and all that jazz!

What've ya got?

Danitinkis

Deadly and sexy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final Fantasy III is my childhood man, I think I got through it like 5 or 6 times now.
One turned-based RPG that isn't FF could be Wizard101, It's an MMO RPG that uses magical cards. I know it isn't JRPG but I can't think of any right now.

EDIT: How could I forget about Bravely Default and Persona (@Sword_of_Dusk thanks for remembering to me that was a JRPG LOL) now I remembered I'm dumb lol

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Persona is a very fun turn based JRPG, especially if you enjoy social sim elements. But while I like it a whole lot, there's still one franchise that stands above it in the JRPG department for me:

DRAGON QUEST, BOI!!!!!

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Troll responses aside. I'd say fire embelem. Techinically it IS a tactical RPG. But it's a tacical JRPG

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mine!

Wait, you want more well known games? In all seriousness I played Trails of Cold Steel I recently and had fun with it. Trails in the Sky I is pretty good too, and I think Trails in the Sky I is an easier introduction to the game world and system too (plus Trails of Cold Steel I is after the events in Trails in the Sky 1 - 3, so if you want to go in order you'd start with Trails in the Sky I).

Persona 3 - 5 is also pretty good.

BertsCafe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Final Fantasy III is my childhood man, I think I got through it like 5 or 6 times now.
One turned-based RPG that isn't FF could be Wizard101, It's an MMO RPG that uses magical cards. I know it isn't JRPG but I can't think of any right now.

EDIT: How could I forget about Bravely Default and Persona (@Sword_of_Dusk thanks for remembering to me that was a JRPG LOL) now I remembered I'm dumb lol

Bravely Default is a fave of mine, if not for the game itself, but the OST. I'm a sucker for a good OST and knowing it's Sound Horizon's Revo doing that OST, couldn't resist!

Persona is a very fun turn based JRPG, especially if you enjoy social sim elements. But while I like it a whole lot, there's still one franchise that stands above it in the JRPG department for me:

DRAGON QUEST, BOI!!!!!

Dragon Quest is one series I never got into when I was younger, but definitely one I'm interested in trying out. I have a lot of buddies that go apesh*t for Persona, Shin Megami Tensei etc I'll have to try those out at some point too!

Troll responses aside. I'd say fire embelem. Techinically it IS a tactical RPG. But it's a tacical JRPG

Wife loves Fire Emblem games, never personally played 'em but maybe I'll give Awakening a spin since she's got that, and Echoes.

Mine!

Wait, you want more well known games? In all seriousness I played Trails of Cold Steel I recently and had fun with it. Trails in the Sky I is pretty good too, and I think Trails in the Sky I is an easier introduction to the game world and system too (plus Trails of Cold Steel I is after the events in Trails in the Sky 1 - 3, so if you want to go in order you'd start with Trails in the Sky I).

Persona 3 - 5 is also pretty good.

I don't really care if they're well known or not nah, as long as they're fun, interesting or have a great OST. I'm not really a snob for games or anything, I just generally play what I like the look of when games come out and I have money to buy games... which these days ain't all that often cuz priorities and all that.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Eternal Sonata and Child of Light. Those are my two favourites right now.

EDIT: I realize Child of Light is technically American, but it's structured like a JRPG.

Last edited:

ItsAri

That one Weeb
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been going in a downward spiral on the Fire Emblem series recently, it's a strategy rpg where you move your army around a grid-like map and fight enemies on different maps. Their recent installment Fire Emblem Three Houses has almost been out for a year and I still come back and play it. It's one of my personal favorites.
Despite it's graphics, the story is captivating, the world building is insane, and the characters are dynamic. I'd recommend this series any day.

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
There is definitely a lack of them. That is probably why we are all here.

There were some nice games on the Genesis. Phantasy Star is probably the only true JRPG. I like part three the most because of the marriage system.

Close-to JRPGs include Shining Force and Warsong.

QuietPenguin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aside from the usual classics, a childhood favorite of mine was SaGa Frontier 2. Some of my fondest video-game memories, with a really cool plot and great "evil force" villain (The Egg).

Rubescen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
SNES Final Fantasy III (VI) was the first JRPG I remember playing and definitely created my love for the genre.

Xenogears on PS1 is probably my favorite, for its ridiculous scope bringing in mysticism, philosophy and giant robots, despite it's unpolished second disc. Although to be fair, I didn't really know anything about anime when I played it as a teenager, so I didn't know any tropes it's drawing on.

Other runners up would be Lufia II, and more obvious favorites like Chronotrigger. I really should try Bravely Default, since it gets so much love. Especially since all of the games I've mentioned had blah to painful combat in retrospect.

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Betrayal at Krondor. Wait, that's a western RPG that nobody has heard of...

Uh... Persona 4 Golden!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Chocopyro : I've heard of it! Played it to death when I was younger.

BTw, other western turn based RPG's: Wizardry 1 - 8, Might and Magic 1 - 5 (6 - 8 too if you are ok with the option to do battles in real time being present), Any of the old Gold Box D and D games from 1988 - 1992 (there's 9 of them, Pool of Raidence, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, the 3 Dragonlance ones, and the 2 Savage Frontier ones). If you do check out any of those, I'd recommend starting with Might and Magic IV - V (World of Xeen is what it is called, it has both in one game), its the easiest to get introduced to the series in my opinion. For Wizardry probably Wizardry 6 though I hope 4 color graphics are not a turnoff as that's how old that game is. For gold box Pool of Radiance is where most start.

Dark Sun I and II.

Blade of Destiny, Star Trail. Shadows over Riva. Be sure to get the version from the 90s, the reboot is supposedly not that good per what I've read on it. Blade of Destiny is the first in the serious though I feel Shadows over Riva is the most polished of those.

You can find many also from here: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/

BTW, I must have played a different version of Eternal Sonota than some of you, as mine wasn't turn based. I had x seconds to smash in my commands, which doesn't count as turn based to me.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Suikoden 2 has always been my favourite, it's just wonderful and well made in every single way.
I like Xenogears too, for the deep and complex story but it's something I won't play more than once or twice.

They are both available for ps1.

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp Dark Sun Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravenger were also close to the top of my list. But I never really got to play the wizardry or the gold box games. Those were even before my time. ^^;
(Granted, so were Betrayal at Krondor and Dark sun. Had to grow up a few more years before I really started to understand them better.) So maybe I'll have to check them out.

I actually got to revisit all three of the games again, since they were put up on GoG. Jeeze, BaK sure could give Dark Souls a run for it's money. Forgot how grueling a lot of those healing mechanics were. XD

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Chrono Trigger, for the amazing artwork, good combat and just overall a great game.
Persona 4 and 5 for really good combat system (that 1 more thing on hitting a weakness is so satisfying).

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
*motions at icon and sig* DRAGON QUEST. The one that started it all.

Other than that, in terms of actual battles: Grandia series and Wild ARMs (later) Hex system. I also like Legend of Legaia, Lunar series, and my second fav game of all time, Thousand Arms.

There's many more I like, but those are some of my fav games of turn based, along with fav battles within turn based games. XD

Grunwave

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Oh, I thought of another hidden gem:

Destiny of an Emperor

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Legend of Legaia has a really cool battle system, and its presentation has helped it age much better than other PS1 JRPGs. Outside of that it's a bit simplistic, but there's a pretty neat undercurrent of dread and light horror to it that adds some spice. Music's great too

Shadow Hearts is cool. Neat battle mechanics mixed with a very unique setting with lotsa bizarre stuff in it

The Trails series stands out currently for being an ambitious, ongoing story line. Games're really meaty individually, too, so if you get into 'em you end up with a ton of content

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I released a test version of my game on itch.io. If anyone wants to check it out, here's the link (for now in Brazilian Portuguese only, sorry).

https://rafael-lobo.itch.io/insolita
Back up your project.
When you open MV to check something while answering a question and accidentally leave it running for 10 hours...yes, that is absolutely time I spent working on my project. >_>
While looking into ancient lighthouses, I discovered ancient Greeks invented automatic doors using a pulley system of fire, gases and water!
I'm finally loving making the battles again - got a much more streamlined system going. I just hope I can get this game done soon so I can move on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeltaBurst