What are your main focus in developing a game?

KimiRaven

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Title say it all, for me it's the story plot, but what about the rest of you guys?

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Definitely the story. It has to be interesting to keep the player engaged for long periods of time. There are a plethora of combat-focused games out there already. Not to say you can't have both, but I think the story is slightly more important. :wink:

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Artwork. Because drawing is my main skill as a developer.

Even though I don't think the artwork is the factor that has the most impact on a game's quality (it's pacing, IMO), I spend most of my time and energy on it.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Game play complexity. I'm developing the story as I go along. I have a main focus for the story but I don't have every conversation between the characters planned out.
I'm just comparing my game to other games by major publishers, and seeing if I could do just as good or the best I can.

I figure if I can make it close then this will be good.

BrandedTales

StoryTeller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Story is what I focus on first. I have run table-turning RPGs for 25 years and I love interactive story.

Unfortunately it ends up not being the primary time sync. I spend a lot of time mapping and fine-tuning art. Visual aesthetics are my weak point, so it takes me forever to get them right.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Always the combat system. It's what I like working on the most too.

EseQueL

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Story - every good game has a good story.
Gameplay - try to have at least something unique in your game.

umbralshadows

the silks angel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Story an character development. Thouh my current game has some unique stuff else to like a really weird battle system with no enemies. (but its barebones an I'll hafta come back an make it better after gamejam)

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fun. A game that isn't fun to play won't get much play. If I had to chose between a boring to play game with an awesome storyline and really fun game play with almost no storyline, I'll take the latter any day of the week.

zimzim

Yamatcha Game Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
IMHO, story plot (including character development), music, artwork and gameplay are the four pillars that are equally important in making a great video game. I also think that one can do without one or two of these (except gameplay), provided that the area that they're focusing in is extremely good and well done.

Eviticous

Node Js Developer By Trade, FF14 Player By Heart
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Story then mapping.

The story is so crucial to me, after I get a section of the story done I go back and I cut about 80% of the text

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Generally: Story > Graphics <-> Gameplay -> Music

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Moving forward and not backwards? Something which I have failed at.

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
Well... I have always TONS of ideas for gameplay.. like... really many ideas.
And I love learning and trying to make my ideas work.

However.. the story should actually be the main focus, but when it comes to creating cutscenes, I always feel abit blocked :(
Which is weird, cause some years ago I wrote many stories and poems aswell.. Don't know why it is so hard now out of a sudden. Maybe some kind of "blockade".

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Mechanics first and foremost and then design everything else around those mechanics such as gameplay, story, and combat. Much easier to develop these elements that works with your mechanics than to develop mechanics around those elements instead.

I also agree with Frogboy that fun is a major factor to.

Serg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ukrainian
Primarily Uses
N/A

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Core Mechanics - usually combat and puzzles.

You can't have a game without gameplay. Determining what abilities the player will have lets me figure out what skills the game should be testing. Once the central gameplay challenges are set I can look at the framework and figure out what kind of story can be told using those mechanics.

It always feels weird to me when the main mechanics are completely disjointed from the story. If you are going to have the player using a certain mechanic throughout the game then it really ought to be core to the plot somehow. I really don't want to get attached to a plot only to find that I can't make the mechanic the plot focuses on actually work and force me to scrap it.

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gameplay. Story is nice but if and when the player decides to explore the world, gameplay comes into play there.

jmike

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fun. When I develop a game and think of what to include, what not to include, I simply just think: if this game was advertised to me featuring this feature or that, would I play it? Basically, my focus is the fun aspect, always asking myself if I would play this game if it were finished.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A lot of RPG Maker games fall into this problem of all playing and looking mostly the same for me, so when I do start a project using the engine, I like to think of mixing up gameplay with unique mechanics first and then build a look and narrative that thematically fits. Fun factor in gameplay is a lot more apparent at first blush than writing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have tried, several times to understand how Markiplier is popular. You can't deny his popularity. I can only get through a few minutes of his vids, though. He's cringier than ANY cringe comp I've ever watched. When I was a kid, if you acted like that, 0 friends and 100% no dates for you. Times have changed XD
Sometimes you may feel helpless and defeated. But everyone loses from time to time. It's okay to be tired. Take a breather. Have a good cry if you need to. You gotta take breaks from your workout, or you'll collapse before you can get stronger.
So, my roommates wrote a news article in English, translated it into Bengali with google translate and now I'm helping them fix the monstrosity which was the result. Making English the medium of education is fine... but not to an extent that we forget how to write properly in our own language :")
Stream will be live shortly with some more Minecraft spriting! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SehoraX