What are your thoughts on in-jokes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ninjakillzu, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Something I do a lot with my projects is to include in-jokes that reference the other projects I am working on. Since none of my projects are released, it's just something I do to entertain myself. Hopefully, after I get around to actually releasing something, you'll be able to catch them too.

What do you guys think?

2. Raizen

Raizen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it doesn't feel extremely out of place its probably okay. I would consider it more like an easter egg than anything else, easter eggs usually don't disrupt the gameplay in any kind, just adds to the game. Now if there is a talk that references to something that will not make sense to the player, than it just feels bad to have it.

3. Meike

Meike ||Telling Stories Through Games|| Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like something I'd do too lol

As long as you can find a way to slip it in without being too 4th wall breaking I'd say it's fine.

4. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think it's something nice you only really find in RPG Maker games (or amateur projects). It adds a personal touch that I like seeing, as long as it's not overdone and doesn't get in the way of understanding the story. My first finished game has some, and never had people who played it complain about them. At worst, they can be confusing, but nothing that would break the experience.

Ninjakillzu likes this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I put a couple in my game, though it is more to better illustrate the fact that the characters knew each other before you came along and had their own adventurers before. You never do learn the joke for all of them though. For instance, the MC and the player never does learn what happened at Charleston that they keep referencing, but what you do learn is enough to get the impression it was a disaster that they joke about to this day.

Ninjakillzu and M.I.A. like this.
  6. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Inside jokes, as in jokes only I'd get seems pretty pointless, so it's not something I like to do. On the other hand, I love making modern/pop culture references, especially references to current world events and video games. The closest thing I have to an inside joke is one of my superbosses is (going to be) an amalgamation of the protagonist and antagonist of an old bullet hell shooter I made in Flash back in 2013. I want some of their attacks to reference the demise of Flash somehow. :)

Arcmagik likes this.
  7. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I did this, but that is because the story or the reference is not the main point of the game. If someday I want to make a game that is more focused on the story, I probably wouldn't do it.

8. BK-tdm

BK-tdm Manga Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well having a small shootout to another of your projects is ok, i would try to make it understandable even whitout the full context, knowing the whole story behind the reference should be a bonus point not the whole point.

Just try not to make too many inside jokes that only you would get ("Is this fun even whitout context?")

In my case i just do small references with copyright dodge name changes, in a small zombie game im working now i just put this line: "whats with this crappy starting gear?! Is this Resident's Devil?!" a small jab at a well known series and even if you somehow live under a rock and dont know anything about Resident Evil you still get that the character is complaining about the lack of decent starting gear.

9. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Mine are out of the way of the main story. They are usually references to my first (and horrible) "game" in RPG Maker VX. For instance, in the first game, there was a well with a "Cultist Hat" you receive if you use the well. In a current fantasy project, that well also exists in the starting town, but instead of the "Cultist Hat", you receive a "Familiar Hat", which looks the same and has a similar description. There's also a cannibal who is in this fantasy project and a cyberpunk project, and he was in my first game as well (although interactions are different between each project). Of course, I have more examples, but I won't spoil them.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019