what can you offer when you get help for free?

kagehiramika

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
arabic
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
i don't know how to explain this but for example let's say:
you have a project! and this project for example is a free game
and at some point you needed help with something let's say art or music!
and you asked for help to see if there's anyone interested and someone said they can help you but since your game is free you can't give them money in return in that case what else you can offer other than money?
i would like you to give me examples of what to offer <3

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A skill trade is usually your best bet for these situations. Basically, you work on my game, I work on yours in the area I'm most comfortable.

kagehiramika

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
arabic
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A skill trade is usually your best bet for these situations. Basically, you work on my game, I work on yours in the area I'm most comfortable.
oh so if I'm an artist a free art piece is the best thing to offer? but what if they don't like my artstyle... :kaoback:

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Usually it doesn't matter with free work. *Most* people would be happy to receive work from you.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
This might be cliche but finish the game. Not many people do that.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i don't know how to explain this but for example let's say:
you have a project! and this project for example is a free game
and at some point you needed help with something let's say art or music!
and you asked for help to see if there's anyone interested and someone said they can help you but since your game is free you can't give them money in return in that case what else you can offer other than money?
i would like you to give me examples of what to offer <3

Pay your workers. Even if the project is free, their time is not. Labour should be remunerated :D

Mcniner

Lord of Ice and Snow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Spread the word about their services! Put things up on social media, youtube, reccomend them on the forums. Promise to put great effort into helping them grow in popularity!

kagehiramika

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
arabic
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Pay your workers. Even if the project is free, their time is not. Labour should be remunerated :D
that's true but i'm talking about the people that are willing to help without anything in return like when they're just doing something simple for you, the full work of course deserve a full payment :)

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that's true but i'm talking about the people that are willing to help without anything in return like when they're just doing something simple for you, the full work of course deserve a full payment :)

Even if people are willing to do something without anything in return, do something nice for them. Pay them. Set an example, maybe they'll respect themselves more and realise that their skills are worth something for the next time they help someone out.

I love this topic, by the way. If you don't have explicit money, give them something worth something. Art, music, a video game - something you have that they need or want that has intrinsic value.

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno folks. If someone is offering you help, you can take that help. You may gift them something in return, but you don't need to.

All that "Work should be remunerated" stuff. Listen, if I offer to help you for free and you tryna give me money for it, Ima be mad.

People need to stop feeling obligated to "pay" someone who's WILLING to help for naught. Maybe one day you can help them on something. Maybe not. Maybe you want to give them an art piece if you're an artist. Go right ahead, but don't feel bloody obligated to.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno folks. If someone is offering you help, you can take that help. You may gift them something in return, but you don't need to.

All that "Work should be remunerated" stuff. Listen, if I offer to help you for free and you tryna give me money for it, Ima be mad.

People need to stop feeling obligated to "pay" someone who's WILLING to help for naught. Maybe one day you can help them on something. Maybe not. Maybe you want to give them an art piece if you're an artist. Go right ahead, but don't feel bloody obligated to.

You're right. I guess I'm sort of a hypocrite: I do art for people all the time for free because I want to be supportive, or helpful, so I'm not even practicing what I preach here.

I just think that a lot of people err too far in the other direction and expect people to be willing to work for free. Either way, feel free to disregard what I said, I just really love the concept of this thread.

Sorry, I got carried away when it comes to compensation for services rendered.

kagehiramika

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
arabic
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You're right. I guess I'm sort of a hypocrite: I do art for people all the time for free because I want to be supportive, or helpful, so I'm not even practicing what I preach here.

I just think that a lot of people err too far in the other direction and expect people to be willing to work for free. Either way, feel free to disregard what I said, I just really love the concept of this thread.

I guess it depends on what every person wants, if you like a project you'll be happy to help even for free, but when it comes for work you won't have the motivation to do the work if you're not getting anything in return for it , it's nice of you to do art for free as artist myself I think doing art is not easy as everyone think :kaoblush:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
several options are available.

1) something called "pay forward" (doesn't involve money)
A lot of people here on the forum do help in their free time without expecting something in return, that is where the free request forums and free workshop forums come from.
And no matter why they are offering their services for free (to train their skills for example), that is a part of a culture that developed itself around the RMs.

So your "payment" could be to continue that culture by offering your help to others on the forum as well.

2) compensation does not have to be cash
just think about what you have that you can offer over the internet. Skill trades are the most obvious answer, but there are others.
For example I often purchase bundles of games for a single game (for example when Humble Bundle has half a dozen games in a bundle for 1$ total), and the keys for games I have no interest in can be transferred.

Lascivaware

Valentina
Reaction score
First Language
RGSS1
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd feel too bad to be able to accept payment after offering something for free, but engagement would be appreciated, like following me, replying to my posts, etc.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I totally agree, especially as a musician. But I do think trying to shove payment down someone's throat is going too far the other way :wink:

It's sufficient to make the offer.

@kagehiramika Just offer what you can. If you have the means to offer them a bit of money, you can do so. If you draw and you offer them some art, they might say sure or they might say no thanks. You can offer to credit them in the project.

Speaking for myself, I usually don't care :stickytongue: I've had a few people offer to toss me dollars, and unless I'm taking on a significant, commissioned project I don't need that.

And I've had a handful of people ask me how I want to be credited, and I figure my handle in an indie RPG project that will probably never be finished isn't worth much :guffaw: So if they complete the game and toss my name in the credits, that's cool.

If not, it really doesn't matter...I'm not answering questions or writing little snippets of code because I'm hoping to get something out of it. I've accomplished more significant things in my actual real world life.

Mcniner

Lord of Ice and Snow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

You're right, it really is an interesting concept. It kinda fits into the spirit of the holidays, helping others, and all of that.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Generally if I'm not currently in a position to offer money for services, I'll offer a skills trade instead--usually writing code for them or writing something, since those are my specialties.

Ellenor

Artist: Digital/Pixelart/3D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Other
If someone offering for free you don't really need to give something in return.
However if you want something that someone is not willing to give you for free, but you lack the money then skill trade can be a solution.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If someone offering for free you don't really need to give something in return.
However if you want something that someone is not willing to give you for free, but you lack the money then skill trade can be a solution.

I really respect this take, I think it's important to establish before any work takes place what the payment is gonna be.

If I'm not willing to do a thing for free, work is completed and a person tries to offer to "pay" me in art then chances are I'm not gonna be happy :p

Ellenor

Artist: Digital/Pixelart/3D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Other
I really respect this take, I think it's important to establish before any work takes place what the payment is gonna be.

If I'm not willing to do a thing for free, work is completed and a person tries to offer to "pay" me in art then chances are I'm not gonna be happy :p
Lol, Obviously it is important to establish before I'm just saying that if you lack cash to offer then service in exchange is an option. As long as they are clear that it is a skill trade. :kaohi:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

All the artists on here always share their art, and I wanted to partake in the sharing. I wanted to show off the album art for my game's soundtrack while also showing off this song. I wanted to take a break from all the pianos/strings/jazz. I experimented with some side-chaining techniques to modulate the dub-step like synth.
Crazy idea to help people be more productive. We all upload a photo of someone who is good at nagging, cajoling, guilting, etc. you into doing what you should be doing. Then, after you have posted X amount of times in a defined period, that photo pops up with the text of "Shouldn't you be working on your game?" Just for fun.:wink:
Avery wrote on MouseWorks's profile.
That is a really cute avatar concept that you have there! I like it :3
Well, here's a screenshot of just another game that might never be completed...

quicktrip_xp01.jpg
Fake FullScreen (Download):

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riluohuangsha