What controllers are supported by MZ and to an extent, MV?

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tried to test a game with a controller and I had recently bought a USB dongle that allowed old PS1/PS2 controllers to be plugged into my computer. However I noticed that such a setup wasn't working. I tried looking up the very very scant plugins that dealt with controllers and controller support to no avail. I looked up the help page on MZ and saw it has controller support but only mentioned Xbox 360 controllers...So I had to buy one from Amazon two days after I bought the dongle...

To see if the dongle itself was bad I tested it on MV with only the analog sticks working and I played Platypus (a game unrelated to RPGM) and saw it worked fine.

So my question is. What controllers and controller setups I can and can't use in MZ.

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only Xbox 360 controllers? Jeez, what's wrong with PS controllers, or even a Wii U Classic controller?

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
In current browsers it has a native function to be able to receive events from the controller:

Check with this site:

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In current browsers it has a native function to be able to receive events from the controller:

Check with this site:
Only Xbox 360 controllers? Jeez, what's wrong with PS controllers, or even a Wii U Classic controller?
@Dev_With_Coffee I know nothing of programming languages (mostly cause I'm a dolt) and I was asking what does RPG Maker MZ support by default. I will make a plugin request if RPG Maker MZ only supports Xbox 360 controllers and nothing else.

@Sword_of_Dusk I really hope this isn't the case but if it is, perhaps a plugin would solve it.

I hope it isn't the case that only Xbox 360 controllers are supports but if need be, the plugin request forum would be of use and I will also use it.

Also I really like italics for use in emphasizing words and bold text as well.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
@AeroPergold
The test site does not require any code from you, it only serves to test the controller.

The link of "API" is why I always put the reference to what makes it work.
If your control works it will not be difficult for someone to create a Plugin that enables other controllers.

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@AeroPergold
The test site does not require any code from you, it only serves to test the controller.

The link of "API" is why I always put the reference to what makes it work.
If your control works it will not be difficult for someone to create a Plugin that enables other controllers.
Oh in that case, I had tried out the testing site and found that that my Dualshock 2 and my original analog-less PS1 controller(s) had worked just fine. But RPGM kinda threw its hands up at me and now I'm trying to figure what exactly MZ has for controller compatibility.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
This was the test that proves that your control has no problem.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
If you are using a program like joy2key you'll be able to use most controllers.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To see if the dongle itself was bad I tested it on MV with only the analog sticks working and I played Platypus (a game unrelated to RPGM) and saw it worked fine.
Just for your edification, the better way to do this would be to use the game controllers testing screens in Windows. Testing it with another game is a crapshoot - if it doesn't work with an RPG Maker game, and you test it in another game, how would you know whether your USB adapter doesn't work or that other game also doesn't support it?

Jeez, what's wrong with...a Wii U Classic controller?
Well...should we make a list? :wink:

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you are using a program like joy2key you'll be able to use most controllers.
I downloaded joy2key and it works perfectly and now I can use my old PS controllers so yeah that solves it. Even if I kinda feel foolish and should've waited for this type of answer and not blasted $48 on an Xbox controller but oh well.
Just for your edification, the better way to do this would be to use the game controllers testing screens in Windows. Testing it with another game is a crapshoot - if it doesn't work with an RPG Maker game, and you test it in another game, how would you know whether your USB adapter doesn't work or that other game also doesn't support it?
@ATT_Turan someone in this thread gave me the webpage for a controller test thing and the controller via the usb adapter worked fine.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ATT_Turan someone in this thread gave me the webpage for a controller test thing and the controller via the usb adapter worked fine.
I'm aware of that - I'm letting you know that your operating system has this built in, if you're ever in some similar situation in the future. That way you're getting the information directly from your OS and you've eliminated any chance of errors using a Web site or other program.

What makes more sense - asking someone else to get your wallet and tell you how much money you have? Or just reaching into your own pocket? :wink:

AeroPergold

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm aware of that - I'm letting you know that your operating system has this built in, if you're ever in some similar situation in the future. That way you're getting the information directly from your OS and you've eliminated any chance of errors using a Web site or other program.

What makes more sense - asking someone else to get your wallet and tell you how much money you have? Or just reaching into your own pocket? :wink:
Thank you for your help man. :cool:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!
Oof, this "side project" of mine is starting to get as complex as a VS plugin, at least as far as plugin parameters are concerned. I think I now understand why a plugin like this doesn't already exist(that I know of). Learning a lot while trying to make it work though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adra