What did you study in high school/college?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by joombo, Dec 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. synchronicity

synchronicity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In highschool, I had more of an arts (specifically graphic design and music) interest, mixed with English/writing and history. So those are kind of the classes I focused on there. I have an animation about a gingerbread cookie that wakes up in the oven while baking and has to escape the gingerbread man that sadly never saw the light of day beyond storyboards and a tiny bit of animating, but it was still fun to work on. :guffaw:

I was intending to go to university as an English major, possibly with a minor in history or music, but long story short the year I was supposed to go was a bad one and a lot of mental health issues I'd been burying prior to that (i.e. a childhood anxiety disorder I didn't realize I had among other issues) came to the surface and demanded to be dealt with. So I didn't study anything for a while.

Now I'm taking courses in rural library management through my work, which are technically part of a certification program, and I've been thinking about studying something else when I finish that but I haven't really decided on what yet. It's less overwhelming to me now because I feel more mentally prepared for it, but honestly, highschool sucked at preparing people for college, and I've always been more of a realist, so that approach would have prepared me better as opposed to what we got (which was basically denying any downsides to college/uni at all so that people wouldn't feel intimidated from attending before they even tried).

Starmage, l8rose, kaukusaki and 2 others like this.
  2. artoni

artoni Writer, Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Working on my Bachelor's in Business right now. I want to focus in accounting, specifically in auditing; I have an internship right now specializing with that and I really love it.

3. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A little bit of many things, but forgot almost all of them, lol. :rolleyes:

In high school, I didn't like math, but it was my probably my best subject, along with history. Of course I struggled and studied my behind off, too. I wanted to become an engineer, so I continued to take advanced math, aka Calculus, in college. I couldn't pass it, even after taking it twice. I also had to drop computer science because I knew I had no chance of passing. Dream shattered, I felt like the world was ending. Eventually, I switched to Japanese and minored in Finance. :eek:

Now that I have graduated, I still study Japanese on my own. But other than that, sheesh, I don't think I can learn anything else. XD Just have to build up my experience through work and hope for the best.

Starmage, l8rose and kaukusaki like this.
  4. untari

untari Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a mechanical engineering specialty, but at the same time I study programming and try to perform some assignments on such resources like Codecademy because I want to better understand this topic. Maybe someone is also studying C# and knows where else can you practice or try to create your own small project?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Starmage, l8rose and kaukusaki like this.
  5. Anchovy

Anchovy A Fish Called Amy Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Graphic Design & Communications/Marketing

I like saying things with pictures.

6. realice

realice Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    in highschool im studying tourism,and Animator in college, after graduated and until now i worked as game designer

Starmage and l8rose like this.
  7. mariopepper

mariopepper Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I still study in university and we study the same as we did at college. But during this time I understand one thing: I should not buy any papers before checking reviews about services that provides such an opportunity. Now I used to read reviews from people here to be sure in my choice. No doubt. This is the main advice

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  8. Starmage

Starmage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    FIlipino
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I kinda studied Psychology in college, then proceeded to get a Tarot reader certification for 6 months after graduating college xD :D It was super fun indeed. :)

And I'm always excited to learn new things wherever they may be! :D

If there was a course that I wish I took up, it would be Music and/or Game design xD :D

9. Joe_Schmoe

Joe_Schmoe Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I just studied basic stuff, English, math etc. I had to take geometry for some reason, but fell asleep for most of it (the fact that the teacher was a chainsmoker with a deep soothing voice didn't help). I also had to take marketing, since the computer programming (at a vo-tech) classes were full. But there, like geometry, I was asleep for most of it (I started working during my senior year, so I was tired as hell in school).

10. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So what I studied in College, Computing, it was a lot of work for me but the effort I put in paid off. We did all sorts of general computing things. I.e. Using PowerPoint, Word, Access. Photoshop and taking pictures with cameras. A little bit of marketing but not much. Web Design, quite a bit of that. Yes, game design was in there slightly. A couple of other things, can't remember it all but I could also look back at the qualifications sometime.

I guess am blessed I was able to complete it all, but I had no time for anything else.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Director29 please do not spam threads with one liners. I have deleted your post

12. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I originally wanted to be an architect, and to do that I had to have a degree in what is called "technical drawing", involving things like schematic drawings of machinery as well as buildings, on paper and in CAD (Computer Assisted Drawing) software. Additionally it involved two years of general courses in plumbing, interior and exterior construction of houses, painting, as well as mathematical courses on calculating load bearing weight for different materials and compositions.

As I was doing that, I discovered I really loved working with 3D CAD software, and it aligned well with programming which I'd been doing in my free time since I first got a computer in my early teens. But I felt my graphical skills were lacking, and as my interest in architecture faded after three years of these studies, I went on to study graphic design for two years. Most of that was centered around using digital techniques to create print material, but also logos, marketing material and the likes. When I was considering taking a bachelor degree overseas, I was headhunted by a local advertisement company based on my school work and my spare time animations and games made in Flash, and so that was the end of my formal education.

13. alexsandro22

alexsandro22 Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I used to study math a lot. I was good enough at it

14. MagiCat

MagiCat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I went to an arts high school where I went for literary arts. In college I got a degree in Graphic Design and one in Creative Writing and English with a concentration in Fiction.

Then I just study things on my own time just because I can.

15. nitriso

nitriso Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Bachelors, master's, and doctorate in music. I am using part of my live performance of Prokofiev's Toccata as my battle bgm lol.

16. Rodak

Rodak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Math
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I accidentally got a Philosophy Degree.

I was bouncing from major to major, seeking my path, and taking Philosophy as electives.

One semester I was looking for a Philosophy elective to fill a spot and noticed that I took every course they offered and got an "A" in them all!

So I just filled out the paperwork and got the degree. It would have been silly not to :cool:

I eventually settled on a Chemistry Degree for a career oriented degree - there is just no money in Philosophy unless you ride it all the way to the PhD (which I could never have afforded to pay for).

17. tobimura.tobi

tobimura.tobi Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello :)
    Right now I'm studying in computer science at somewhere university ww
    I'm in struggle with my thesis and with my revision. I have a two examiners lecture with their drama that makes my revision getting very long time :"(
    Hope my thesis will finish soon

18. PikanyaDesu

PikanyaDesu Professional Amateur Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Computer Network Administration and Engineering in college...after graduating I eventually settled in my current job where I am an IT Engineer, it's a small team (about 4 people supporting roughly 1800-2000 users) so everyone sort of does a little of everything. High-stress, but the pay isn't bad and the team is great.

19. Omige

Omige Warper Member

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I am now a high school student.
    Chinese, Math and English are compulsory subjects for all of us.
    Basing on above, I have chosen Physic, Biology and Geography to study.(Chemistry is too difficult for me to learn)
    All above are just the subjects of the college entrance examination requirements.
    Basing on above, I have chosen Informatics to study.